My heart has ruled my head!

EventingMum

Visit site
I think I have may have done something stupid. I have been looking for a new RS horse for our bigger riders with little success. We travelled nearly 5 hours to view an ID last week that ditched the rider showing him to us and threatened to go up with me then another we were booked to see has gone lame. So against my better judgement, I went to a dealer yesterday. Firs horse we saw was definitely not suitable but the second seemed to tick all the boxes and will carry our maximum weight limit and was cheaper than others we have looked at.

However, another horse was mentioned that wasn't yet advertised as by their own admission he's had a tough time and needs to put on condition. He had seemingly been turned out with a stallion and is covered in superficial cuts and bites. He's 6yo, about 17hh, has a big frame to fill out into and is really poor. However, despite only having 3 shoes, one of which is hanging on by a thread, he has nice paces and somewhere along the line has been started nicely. We were shown him popping a small fence which he did very nicely but was then getting tired so we had a very short walk and trot and called it a day. Mr EM, who is fairly indifferent to most horses, was totally smitten with him and desperate to have him to give him a chance so a deal was struck buying both for the asking price of one of the others we were viewing. They'll be coming home and will be turned out together (in isolation obvs). It will take a while to get him in anything like condition to be ridden but at least it's the summer and we have grass available.

So HHO, please send positive vibes that I haven't been totally stupid and his boy comes good in due course. At my age I really shouldn't be such a soft touch!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Just think of him as a BOGOF - if he turns out well, you've got a cracker and a bargain to boot! If he proves more challenging, then you'll mentally feel less pressured to make him perfect. Fingers crossed for the former!

Bernster

Visit site
I’d love this to be a happy ending. He could turn out to be a real cracker. Hope so! Keep us updated.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
sounds like you made a good choice I am sure he will turn out great can't wait for pictures:)

I am not sure your the right person or not who bought a horse that was delivered to you and he ended up in the vet quite poorly? I just thought I would ask how he was doing?

EventingMum

Visit site
sounds like you made a good choice I am sure he will turn out great can't wait for pictures:)

I am not sure your the right person or not who bought a horse that was delivered to you and he ended up in the vet quite poorly? I just thought I would ask how he was doing?

It was me! He is a star, doing really well with our competent clients - in other words doing the job he was bought for. A previous owner tracked him down and filled in some of his background which totally explains his one fault - his total fear of the farrier. Seemingly the person she bought him from as a 3yo used a notorious, unqualified farrier who is very rough with horses. We are slowly making progress and he is always in when a farrier comes so he is exposed to the sounds and smell without him necessarily having his feet done. I'm sure in time he will be fine. Thanks for asking!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It was me! He is a star, doing really well with our competent clients - in other words doing the job he was bought for. A previous owner tracked him down and filled in some of his background which totally explains his one fault - his total fear of the farrier. Seemingly the person she bought him from as a 3yo used a notorious, unqualified farrier who is very rough with horses. We are slowly making progress and he is always in when a farrier comes so he is exposed to the sounds and smell without him necessarily having his feet done. I'm sure in time he will be fine. Thanks for asking!

Bless him I am so glad his doing so well I have often thought about him.

EventingMum

Visit site
Well, he's home! They both loaded and travelled well and seem to have settled fine. I was anxious not to fuss around with him too much but will get some pics without the rug tomorrow - he really is in a sorry state. The field they are in is being used to isolate them just now but I think she'll need to be moved soon as it may have too much grass for her. I was pleased his loose shoe was off today and he had a rug on when we arrived so I popped a sheet on him as it was threatening to rain when we got home and to be honest, it will save my embarrassment when people pass by!

3HkLRBd.jpg