My heart has ruled my head!

silv

Visit site
Good for you, I would have done the same in your situation. They both look like nice horses. I wonder what his story is? Look forward to hearing how he progresses.

chaps89

Visit site
He's got a nice kind eye, what a lovely story. I look forwards to hearing future updates on him please :)
And yes, that is rather alot of grass in that field, mine would think she'd died and gone to heaven there!

Po Knee

Visit site
Thank you for the pics!

He does have a kind look about him and that grass will do him the power of good. I think you'll turn out to have acquired a beautiful horse once he's up to weight.

And the grey is rather lovely too :)

EventingMum

Visit site
Here he is naked! Both have been very settled and happy in the sun today. TBH the photos don't show the extent of his lack of condition well, in real life he looks worse.

dtKTSy2.jpg

1HUVOGt.jpg

HEM

Visit site
I agree definitely looks a lot better than I was imagining, look at that shinny coat!

I think you may have bought yourself a little hidden gem:)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
As, bless him. At least he has the summer grazing to recoup his strength. I bet he'll look fab in a few months. Your grey is very nice too.

EventingMum

Visit site
TBH he does look better than when we viewed him on Saturday, the two days he had in the field at the dealers before coming home made quite a difference but as I said the photos are hiding quite a bit, his hips are really angular as are his withers and the sun reflecting off his coat seems to be hiding the extent his ribs are protruding. However, I have great faith in Dr Green.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my cushings mare lost loads of weight as she wouldnt eat anything other than grass and it was winter so not much goodness in it. she was so bad i considered PTS. i took photos to send to my vet and she looked very similar to your boy but not as shiny.vet wasnt worried by the photos but was very surprised when she saw her in the flesh........ luckily, after trying lots of different hay.haylage and feed i found some she would eat and she gradually improved. the camera seems to mask what we see in real life. i dread to think what some of the horses who are rescued by whw etc look like in real life as they look skeletal in the photos...

sky1000

Visit site
I love this thread. I keep flicking back for more pictures. I really hope it all works out very well.

ceva

Visit site
I think I have may have done something stupid. I have been looking for a new RS horse for our bigger riders with little success. We travelled nearly 5 hours to view an ID last week that ditched the rider showing him to us and threatened to go up with me then another we were booked to see has gone lame. So against my better judgement, I went to a dealer yesterday. Firs horse we saw was definitely not suitable but the second seemed to tick all the boxes and will carry our maximum weight limit and was cheaper than others we have looked at.

However, another horse was mentioned that wasn't yet advertised as by their own admission he's had a tough time and needs to put on condition. He had seemingly been turned out with a stallion and is covered in superficial cuts and bites. He's 6yo, about 17hh, has a big frame to fill out into and is really poor. However, despite only having 3 shoes, one of which is hanging on by a thread, he has nice paces and somewhere along the line has been started nicely. We were shown him popping a small fence which he did very nicely but was then getting tired so we had a very short walk and trot and called it a day. Mr EM, who is fairly indifferent to most horses, was totally smitten with him and desperate to have him to give him a chance so a deal was struck buying both for the asking price of one of the others we were viewing. They'll be coming home and will be turned out together (in isolation obvs). It will take a while to get him in anything like condition to be ridden but at least it's the summer and we have grass available.

So HHO, please send positive vibes that I haven't been totally stupid and his boy comes good in due course. At my age I really shouldn't be such a soft touch!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You got a bargain there! He'll be a different horse in three months time.

ceva

Visit site
Hi, Well done you, I used to work with a hunting friend for several years and he would buy from the sales a lot, most of the horses were in poor condition., we would put them into light work before they got into a good condition, so they were not too bolshy, most of the time they proved to be lovely horses, one we bought that was a bit long in the back so was going to the meat man, we bought her, and she has proved to be a lovely mare, we did find that any that were sold on would go to people who thought yes bit poor put them out on lush grass then when they were ready to work them they became absolute monsters, so I would do what you have to do sooner rather than later, so all the respect and good behaviour is instilled before they get too well in themselves.
we also had bought a horse with a parrot mouth he was 3yrs old and bought for £300, we worked him as a hunter and the parrot mouth virtually disappeared as he got to 5yrs old he was them sold as a gentlemans hunter for £8,000 he was that good.
so you may well have a bargain on your hands.