my horse has a smelly problem

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Went to see my mare this morning and she is a lot calmer now -(those who read my post the other day - she was not herself and acting stroppy) Anyway I had the vet look at her who said she was fine. But today she has not stopped farting. she normally has a bit of flatulence but never this bad (like all the time) We have moved the horses to a new pasture now where there is more grass (the field she was in before the grass was a bit rubbish so she was on a feed twice a day). Now she has one feed a day as she does a lot of hard work, but there is a lot of grass so no need for more. So I presume the farting is from the grass change?? anyway she is s**tting more than usual too, my YO mentioned it to me today. Just wondered if this was normal or anything to worry about. As I said vet said she seemed absolutely fine and that she probably was in season, as nothing physically wrong with her. She's jumping brilliantly (more than usual - changing the subject) - do mares jump better when in season? Anyway the farting is really really bad - is there anything to help this? I assume the problem is in the gut? help needed
smile.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Probably just the lust grass/change of diet (bit like some people after their Christmas dinner with sprouts!!!!)
grin.gif
grin.gif
Will settle soon enough, but feeding some probiotics may help. NOt sure about the jumping, seasons make no difference to my mare after her first couple of the year!!!

Irishcobs

Visit site
My mare gets like it during the spring/summer, if she eats grass from any other field then her own and if she eats a particular weedy bit of her field. But she farts running poo too, which gets alot worse when she's in season. My vet said there is nothing wrong with her she's just grotty! I tried a probiotic but she didn't change on it so I've just got to live with it.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It will be the grass change. As for more droppings...whatever goes in must come out! If there's more grass available to her she'll eat more & thus more poo. Sorry I can't help you about jumping better in season.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Grass change. Mine is letting off a bit at the moment too! And it's always when I'm stood at his back end. Thinks he's sooo funny!