My horse has just started coughing when excercising

joey##merlin

New User
Visit site
My 17yr old TBX has just started to cough when being excercised. It started the other day when i was on a hack, we were trotting and he coughed once then a little later coughed again. I had a lesson on him today and when we started trotting for longer periods of time after the warm up he coughed a couple of times. When we started cantering he coughed once and then did not at all for the rest of the lesson. Im a bit confused, he is living out now with rugs on a night...do i bring him in a night with soaked hay or is that going to make it worse?? Help!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
my horse was doing the same thing about 2 months ago, the vet suggested soaking or streaming the hay that we put out in the field. she also had white snot coming out of her nose after some of the coughing fits, so I had to give her anti-biotics for 10 days and that seemed to help! she still gets a bit of a cough when she has soaked hay but no where near as bad as it was! I would leave him out though as i think the fresh air is much better for them!

Noodlebug

Visit site
I would leave out as well. Could be the pollen at the moment my horse ws coughing a couple of weeks ago and had white snot! I put him on Alo Vera juice and he is fine now.

joey##merlin

New User
Visit site
Thanks, will keep him out at night and soak any hay that he has. The hay is quite dusty so im hoping that is it, if not then i'll call the vet.