My horse has lost his marbles

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I don't understand why he has turned in to a loony. Brought him in today with his eyes on stalks, calling desperately. He tried to leg it whilst I took his rug off, so did a bit of NH gorundwork. He calmed down and then proceeded to box walk frantically!

He's always been so chilled and recently has become very difficult.

Any suggestions?

dixie

Visit site
Had the hunt been about, seems like he has been made very excited by something & this definitely does it for my horses. They can also hear much better than us.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I've changed his feed to less heating one and added small amount of Soya Oil.

He's been out less recently as they changed fields and there was a lot of fresh grass, so today he went out for 4 and a half hours, which is his normal routine. Then he comes in for lunch and out again later for an hour or two, or ridden.

He seems to have become far more clingy to his friends than he ever was. I could always take him to competitions on his own, but recently, he's wild!

Twiglet

Visit site
Maybe the Essex air.....mine's turned into a loony tune this weekend. I'm attributing it to the addition of high fibre cubes to his feed (non heating, low cal and low energy apparently) - on Saturday we had reversing into 40mph traffic, bucking, bolting, and then tried to double barrell a stable mate despite their being tied up about 25 foot away.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Firstly take him off the Soya. The grass in this area is growing more than it did all Summer plus noise and smell of fireworks and bondfires all contribute to changes in them.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Ahh you Essex guys...you've made me feel loads better
smile.gif

Soya was recommended by nutritionist as fed in small quantities is slow release energy.

Twiglet

Visit site
Soya is the one thing I CAN feed my horse without it going to his head!! plus he never drops weight anymore and has a lovely coat.
Unfortunately high fibre cubes have had the effect of a cheap bottle of champagne on a 16 year old, and he's gone very ditzy!

Had two friends tell me about their fizzy horses at the mo, and two others at the yard have had their moments at the weekend.

Definitely the Essex air....excitable stuff......