My horse is now almost completely blind

Apercrumbie

Visit site
My one eyed horse saw the vet today due to concerns about his eyesight in his remaining eye. The visit confirmed what we pretty much already knew and that is that he has lost almost all of his sight. He can still see shadows and bright white. He is 22years old and still adores being ridden 2/3 times a week although all we do now is hack him. He used to be a dressage horse. The vet says we can still ride him but should probably avoid hacking him on his own as it's not fair on him unless he knows where he is. He only hacks on his own on one route anyway so that isn't a huge issue. He also cannot be left in the field on his own but luckily we have a shetland companion for when the others are being ridden. When he starts bumping into things is when we'll know it's time to go.
Although the prognosis is fairly good for the time being - the vet said he could still go on for years - I am distraught. He is my horse of a lifetime and this is the first time where I've been given a limit on how long he can go on for and I'm really starting to panic about losing him. I'm also terrified he'll have an accident in the field because he can't see another horse approaching him. This is a fairly pointless post as there is very little I can do, I just wanted to vent as I've been crying for a long time now.

Last edited:

Jesstickle

Visit site
What hard news to hear :( But it sounds like he still has good quality of life for now, especially as he has his little friend, and as long as he's happy all is to the good. I hope he retains what sight he has for a good while yet. Must be absolutely gutting news though so have a hug if you'd like one.

ETS: he is gorgeous :)

B_2_B

Visit site
Oh bless him, I'm sorry :(

I know animals who lose their sight can sometimes surprise us though, and his friends will know and should help him out :) I hope your boy has some happy years left with you :)

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Poor him and poor you, what sad news, however there was a blind horse on a yard I was on several years ago and he went on many years (probably still is) despite being blind. He had a lovely field companion who would look after him and he seemed perfectly happy to follow her around with his nose in her tail.

I know it's not the same as riding, but these creatures really are incredible and adapt to lots of hardships really well. Try to think positive, and just keep doing the best you can for him. Big hugs. xxx

flirtygerty

Visit site
I know it's been a shock and I feel for you BUT,
it's not totally unexpected and he's fit apart from his sight,
if you go to see him all upset, he's going to wonder why, you
still have him so go give him some love.
CHIN UP CHICK

muddygreymare

Visit site
Sorry to hear that, massive *hugs* on their way. As hard as it is, atleast you're doing the best for him - keeping him as happy as you can until its his time to go - he's lucky to have you.

JosieB

Visit site
The fact his loss of sight has been gradual will help loads. As others have said you need to keep things and routines as they are ATM and any changes should be gradual. He will cope and you should still have many happy years with him. If you google blind horses you find videos of them doing amazing things.

Oberon

Visit site
I'm so sorry:(

My old boy was diagnosed with bilateral cataracts last Jan. He was having some dental work done and the vets happen to say, "You know about his left eye, don't you."
shakehead.gif

Anyway - it turned out it was BOTH eyes :(

He gets a check every six months (with his dental check) and it's been OK so far. It his next check this week....so I'm hoping it's all good still.

It freaks me out to worry about having to make a decision eventually, when he's still so vibrant and healthy:(

I've heard about turning them out in a small paddock with a companion wearing jingle bells...and tying plastic to the fences so they can hear where everything is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...3&_nkw=jingle+bells&_sacat=See-All-Categories

kylee86

Visit site
Hi just thought id send a quick message im realy sorry to hear about your horses sight however pleace dont see this as the end i used to ride a completely blind 20yr old mare obviously she couldnt jump or anything silly i used to hack her out in company she loved it the only time she would be a bit jittery was when we changed surface from road to grass as it was a different feel on her feet she would have the odd stumble like any horse but nothing major i started telling her to step up when going up a curb or step down if there was a step it didnt taake her long for these commands we would even have some good gallops over the fields we changed her fencing from wooden to electric as we found she would bump into the wooden fence when we put electric fencing up she could here the pulses going throughit and often used the clicking noise to work out were she was in the field. horses are very good using there other senses when needed and id say can cope pretty well without site she was in the field with my gelding and she used to give him a good run for his money as she could hear him approaching and smell him

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Hi just thought id send a quick message im realy sorry to hear about your horses sight however pleace dont see this as the end i used to ride a completely blind 20yr old mare obviously she couldnt jump or anything silly i used to hack her out in company she loved it the only time she would be a bit jittery was when we changed surface from road to grass as it was a different feel on her feet she would have the odd stumble like any horse but nothing major i started telling her to step up when going up a curb or step down if there was a step it didnt taake her long for these commands we would even have some good gallops over the fields we changed her fencing from wooden to electric as we found she would bump into the wooden fence when we put electric fencing up she could here the pulses going throughit and often used the clicking noise to work out were she was in the field. horses are very good using there other senses when needed and id say can cope pretty well without site she was in the field with my gelding and she used to give him a good run for his money as she could hear him approaching and smell him

^^^^^ this! Have a look at this story. http://angieegberg.com/smokey.aspx. This horse led a full and happy life.... There are many similar stories... I'm sure I saw a story somewhere about a girl in the states who trail rides every day with her blind horse through alerts of terrains... It's definitely not the end of the road! Search 'blind horse' on YouTube and on the net... You'll be surprised! X

muffinmunsh

Visit site
Don't despair.
I had a lovely gelding who turned blind in his early twenties. He carried on being ridden in company 3 x a week and roamed free on the farm, no trouble at all. He eventually died of colic one night, aged 31. He was never any trouble and I think he was quite happy.
Just wished I had spotted the colic that night and be able to stop his pain.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My one eyed horse saw the vet today due to concerns about his eyesight in his remaining eye. The visit confirmed what we pretty much already knew and that is that he has lost almost all of his sight. He can still see shadows and bright white. He is 22years old and still adores being ridden 2/3 times a week although all we do now is hack him. He used to be a dressage horse. The vet says we can still ride him but should probably avoid hacking him on his own as it's not fair on him unless he knows where he is. He only hacks on his own on one route anyway so that isn't a huge issue. He also cannot be left in the field on his own but luckily we have a shetland companion for when the others are being ridden. When he starts bumping into things is when we'll know it's time to go.
Although the prognosis is fairly good for the time being - the vet said he could still go on for years - I am distraught. He is my horse of a lifetime and this is the first time where I've been given a limit on how long he can go on for and I'm really starting to panic about losing him. I'm also terrified he'll have an accident in the field because he can't see another horse approaching him. This is a fairly pointless post as there is very little I can do, I just wanted to vent as I've been crying for a long time now.

You are basicly telling my story

my mare had moonblindness she gradually lost her vision in one eye and nearly the other , its only the lens that came away and took cataract with it that she could see shadows, she also i rode and would p off with me.

I taught her *HUP* when she had to step up something like a pavement or log.

I bought a donkey which i still have as her companion and sort of guide dog.

she manage brilliant her fencing was safe i made sure buckets were easily seen ,

like on a snowy day i would use a black bucket the rest was white on.

she lived 2 25 and it was a unrelated illness that gave her a stroke.
what actually is the problem with his eyes??

MY mare managed very well you prob find he wont actually bump into things unless he is at speed like being chased.

My mare used to walk very carefully around sensing the post and rail with her instinct and her whiskers. As long as he has a companion who he trust he should be ok.
From experience I WOULD NOT have any other horse in with him, only this pony full time .

my mare was chased into P&R and another time the hedge.

electrify his paddock for him and pony they can sense the electric thus he will be safe in turn out might be better than other fence as he can here and feel the vibes.

Seriously its heart braking if he is bullied or injured through other horse bullying him. Make him his own safe haven within the field

my mare was at least 85% blind she managed fine even tho 1 said PTS . I could ride her out solo. she tried to p off as when she had a contact she was strong, i as careful on uneven ground.

more so than going blind she you can make a safe turnout, the biggest danger is from other horses. The rest of his surrounds stable/ tie up etc you can control and make safe.

I been there done it got the t shirt with my mare for 13 years before the stroke.

Last edited:

littlescallywag

Visit site
My boy has a small cataract ,vet didn't know if it was a injury from when he was a foal or progressive, don't know if its got bigger as nothing was put down on his records so got nothing to go on but he does occasionally smack me in the head on the bad side :(
There's a lady who rides her completely blind horse on hacks and competes??

guesstimation

Visit site
Redwings have a blind horse at one of their yards he's kept in the same field with one companion and comes amazingly, could you keep yours out with just the companion? If you need and advice might be worth ringing them about how they have managed him. He was a lovely boy and came to where we were stood when called.

Sounds like you've done well enabling him to keep going and getting out, just keep it up its a shock to lose a horse however it happens but you could still have another ten years so try and be positive and enjoy your time together.

Brandy

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your horse, my old boy has cataracts but can still pretty much see ok - he struggles a bit in the dark though. I know how you feel regarding thinking about the 'end' approaching, but I woudl advise not to think like this too much if youcan - my ex polo pony is 31 yrs olw now, and I went through a phase when he was about 24/25 of really panicking everytime he got anythign wrong and the vet had to come. Well, I just couldn;t sustain that amount of worry and he's still with me now , you just have to take it as it comes and make his life as easy and comfortable as you can.

My boy started being unsure about walking into his nightime paddock, which is through a narrow gap in the fence, when it was dark. I am sure it was becuase the gap was narrow and he can;t see too well in the dark, so went home, pulled a couple of those solar garden light things out of the garden, and went back and strapped them to the fence posts either side of the gap. So when it gets dark, they light up and he walks though happy as larry!

Good luck with your horse and do what he is happy with.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Thank you very much everyone, I'm feeling much calmer today. He is clearly coping very well with his loss of sight so I'm not too worried for the time-being. He will still be ridden as long as he is sound and happy and not a danger to himself or others. I'm going to attach some bells to the herd leader so he can be aware of where he is. The leader is my gorgeous welshie but at 16hh and being quite bulky he could cause a lot of damage when he asserts his authority. Hopefully the bells will give him a chance to move first! He is such an amazing boy, I'm just so upset for his sake because I want him to be as healthy and happy as possible. We will continue on as normal and hope that his sight doesn't deteriorate further.

Cuffey

Visit site
If possible do turn him out in a familiar field with just with one friend

It may be impossible for him to avoid being hurt if the herd suddenly start flying around.
Things like fireworks become a problem because they arent sure where the danger lies.

Many years ago my father had a blind work horse, his pair looked after him in the field and when they worked together.

rascal

Visit site
Our horse is also almost blind, he is quite happy to be on his own, although he does have company. He is 28 and still hacking out until about a year ago, on his own. He has also moved fields three times, the vet said "never going to happen, he will panic" nice to prove him wrong! So long as we remind everyone who handles him to keep talking to him so he knows where they are he is fine.