My horse suddenly is a nightmare to mount

Maciet

New User
Visit site
When I first got my mare she was so so good and would stand by the mounting block to be mounted perfectly but wasn’t keen on me getting on without it. Now all of a sudden she drags me straight past the mounting block and round in circles, she moves away from it when I bring it to her, takes me ages and loads of circles until I can quickly jump on.
she refuses to stand anywhere near it what can I do ?
I wasn’t sure whether there was something bothering her and she didn’t want to be ridden but she’s had the teeth checked, now making me think she’s just trying to get out of work ?

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Have you had her saddle checked?
Otherwise, could she have had a fright at the mounting block? If you're having to jump on sharpish, that probably isn't feeling as comfortable for her and therefore encourages her reluctance to stand properly.
If the saddle fit is fine and there are no physical issues, can you get someone to give you a leg up and see how she is then?

Lintel

Visit site
In the most unrude way , have you ever landed heavy on her? Could there have been a negative experience from the block?
As said previously I would be getting saddle checked out/vet work up to exclude any causes from pain.

Maciet

New User
Visit site
She’s had no bad experiences getting on or by mounting block, and by jump on I meant if there’s every a minute where she’s actually stood for a mi

Pippity

Visit site
Mine was exactly the same, with added leaping about when I dismounted. The saddle was too wide in front and was hurting her when my weight was forward, but wasn't when I was sitting back. She worked beautifully as long as I didn't lean forwards.

Seconding the people saying to get your saddle checked.

Bob notacob

Visit site
To be honest ,I think it is more about how people get on . When I was a kid we vaulted on ,job done .As I got older it was more of a spring across the neck and into the plate. In my latter years it is a mounting block (and a ginormous horse) but even now my right hand places all my weight vertically down on the centre line of the saddle. The stirrup is merely located on my foot because it is a complete pain to find once one is on a "Thelwell"shaped Irish Draught . Editors note from Bob "You will pay dearly for that remark!"

J&S

Visit site
If not the actual fit, have you considered there might be a rivet loose, a broken arch or tree, just something that moves when weight is first applied. This was the problem when the absolute saint of a horse I ride started to move at the block. Do you hear any tiny creak or click when you hold the saddle or when horse moves?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
My old horse started to get tricky to get on, but was still great to ride - he was found to have rapidly progressing Navicular within a few months. I definitely think that this behaviour could mean pain, but just be aware that it may not just be the obvious saddle fit or back. I only realised after he was diagnosed that this was likely a symptom.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Saddle fit would be my first thought. Maybe check what she's like when you get legged up ie, not putting weight in the stirrup to get on. Is she fidgety when you get off?

southerncomfort

Visit site
As well as saddle fit, and my apologies for this being really basic, but do you always make sure that your stirrup is facing forward rather than lying against the horse. Easier than you think to accidentally catch them with the toe of your boot when you mount.

Again, sorry...i know thats a really basic thing but you'd be amazed how many (even very experienced) riders ive seen, accidentally give their horse a kick as they get on.

rextherobber

Visit site
Mine did the same recently, the saddle was too narrow, (we have both put on a few kgs over lockdown!) Saddle now adjusted, back checked, had to relearn that getting on doesn't hurt anymore, and now we're back to normal.

Leandy

Visit site
Saddle or your mounting technique as has been said. Alternatively, and in any event. Be firm about this, she does need to stand. You need to spend the time to re instill this. It could be that you have just been a bit lax about her moving about and she has got into bad habits.