My Horse wont stop bucking!!

Elliexx

New User
Visit site
Bracken is mine, and my cousins horse, we bought him as a three year old, already broken.
Bracken is 15.2hh, he's also A cob x arab, he turned 4 this June.

The problem we are having at the moment is because Bracken is such a caring and loving horse who always wants attention, if you try and lunge him, as soon as you send him out he rears and wont stop bucking until you bring him back in to stroke him, and give him attention. It's becoming a big problem.

Also because of this, when you try and mount him, because you aren't near his head giving him kisses and cuddles, he will start 'dancing', he will just move in circles, making it a problem to get on him. It will take me and Katie, my cousin, about 45 minutes to actually get on him.

We don't know what to do? Any suggestions?

We are open to anything, because if he doesn't stop this, we will have to get rid of him, and we really, really don't want that, as we are both totally in love with him.

Suffieldr

New User
Visit site
I'm confused. You posted another thread today where you said that you'd just sold your old pony, and were looking for a new horse. Now you're saying that you have one? Or does he actually belong to your cousin, and you share him?

In any case, you seriously need to go back to basics, or seek profession help with him. Babying him will get you nowhere.

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
Sadly I don't think you have the experience to bring on a young horse, get proper help or sell your horse to someone who has. So sorry to be blunt, but I think you are in danger of spoiling this horse completely.

Elliexx

New User
Visit site
I'm confused. You posted another thread today where you said that you'd just sold your old pony, and were looking for a new horse. Now you're saying that you have one? Or does he actually belong to your cousin, and you share him?

In any case, you seriously need to go back to basics, or seek profession help with him. Babying him will get you nowhere.

We own 4 other ponies, 2, ponies one for each of my sisters, one for my cousin, then our share pony Bracken.
We don't baby Bracken, and we have broken in and brought up many other horses then sold them on.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
QUOTE " as soon as you send him out he rears and wont stop bucking until you bring him back in to stroke him, and give him attention. It's becoming a big problem".

QUOTE "when you try and mount him, because you aren't near his head giving him kisses and cuddles, he will start 'dancing', he will just move in circles, making it a problem to get on him. It will take me and Katie, my cousin, about 45 minutes to actually get on him".

Unfortunately you are encouraging your horse into bad behaviour. You say that the horse bucks & performs on the lunge until you bring him back in & stroke him & give him attention. You are rewarding bad behaviour! You must stop this otherwise you will have a totally unruly horse & they can be dangerous.

You say you aren't babying him but you are. You seriously need to get someone in that knows what they are doing, or move the horse on to someone who can sort out the mess you seem to have created otherwise you will ruin this horse. Harsh words I know but from your post you really don't know what you're doing! :(

Illusion100

Visit site
I think Bracken may be a bit insecure/naughty and so you have difficulties asking him to lunge/be ridden.

It's wonderful that he feels so relaxed and enjoys the love you both give to him but unfortunately this seems to have created an issue. He seems to have learned that acting up gets fuss/positive reward and so he will keep doing it.

I would advise getting some Professional help asap, perhaps for a short time if that's all that is needed to show you both that you can still fuss Bracken and reward him for doing the right thing rather than rewarding him for doing the wrong thing.

Whereabouts are you, as perhaps members on here could recommend a good instructor/trainer close to you? We all need help with our horses at some stage or another and getting a Professional to help out will likely be the best way forward for you, Katie and Bracken. :)

lamlyn2012

Visit site
There are lots of people out there who think they are capable of breaking/ bringing horses on, but in reality they are not capable. I have seen a number of horses/ ponies who have fallen into less capable hands and then end up with a life of uncertainty because they haven't had the proper training as youngsters. Please do the right thing by this horse and either sell to an experienced home or get some regular , professional help. I myself have owned horses for over 35 years but I do not consider myself knowledgeable enough or capable enough to break or bring on a difficult horse. This is the most important time in the horses life and should only be undertaken by a professional.

Auslander

Visit site
It sounds to me as if your horse is either uncomfortable, or naughty - and I suspect it's probably the second. To be fair to the horse, you need to eliminate the first, before taclking the second. Once you are sure he isn't in pain, you need to stop praising him for being naughty, and quietly insist that he gets on with whatever you are asking him to do. He will not be able to rear on the lunge if he is moving forward - so send him off in trot, and don't let him stop and start waving his legs about. If he bucks, send him forward - if his feet/brain are occupied with going forward, he will find it harder to mess about.
I had a horse in the other day for a bit of a sort out, as the owner was having issues with it bucking and broncing. We stuck him on the lunge, and he bronced and bronced and bronced - until he was sent forward, at which point, he realised that messing about was harder than doing what we asked, and promptly stopped trying to. The horse is on the verge of being a real problem, as he has scared the owner, who is reluctant to get on. When she got the chance to see what he was doing, and how easy it was to resolve by just pushing him forward, her mindset completely changed. Im hoping that this is a new start for both of them. Lovely horse, and lovely owner, who just needed a little push in the right direction.
Sounds like a few lessons may be in order

Micropony

Visit site
A big part of being a competent horse person is knowing your own limitations and getting the right help when you need it. That's how everyone learns and improves. From what you've said in your post it sounds like you have reached that point and it's time to call in an expert. I am no expert on starting young horses, quite the opposite, but I do know things can go wrong very quickly and that leads to a situation that isn't fair on the horse. At the moment it sounds like yours is confused and doesn't understand what is being asked of him. Best of luck finding the right person to help you sort it out.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Check everything to ensure it isn't pain related.
Saddle, bridle, teeth, back, legs
Feet, hocks, basically everything.

When you are sure it isn't pain then maybe send him away for professional schooling then get them or someone to come to you for lessons, groundwork and ridden.

Have you long reined him?
He has to learn to listen to voice commands then luge with two lines, one behind his bum.
You say he was backed when you bought him but you don't know how good or thorough a job they did.
He is only 4 so dont rush him.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
A big part of being a competent horse person is knowing your own limitations and getting the right help when you need it. That's how everyone learns and improves. From what you've said in your post it sounds like you have reached that point and it's time to call in an expert. I am no expert on starting young horses, quite the opposite, but I do know things can go wrong very quickly and that leads to a situation that isn't fair on the horse. At the moment it sounds like yours is confused and doesn't understand what is being asked of him. Best of luck finding the right person to help you sort it out.

THIS. I have many years experience with horses but i still knew my limits with my young horse and sent her away to be professionally backed. It was the best thing I could have done for her.
I know it may not seem like you are babying him but each time you let him come in to be reassured you are rewarding him for misbehaving and he learns that the quicker he misbehaves, the sooner he gets to stand and relax.

I was in a similar position with mine and I kept her close to me when she mucked about. My instructor said, "when the horse behaves like that, you want the hooves further away from you and not close," so when she got bolshy, I sent her away from me by any means available. Wave my arms! When she stopped and relaxed, I then let her come over to me and if she got frisky again, I sent her away.
It didn't take long before she realised that being calm meant she got to stay beside me.