My house rabbit.. rabbit people opinions please :)

Elsiecat

Visit site
Just want to check I'm getting it *right* with my rabbit.
Had them in the past but wasn't aware of the hay things etc. also past rabbits have always lived outside.

I now have a lionhead called Deirdre. She lives in a cage in my room which is about 1.5 metres by about 0.8 metres and she can easily stretch upwards and in any direction she pleases. She's usually in for about 12 hours then out for about 12 hours at the moment. Is this enough? When shes in her cage shes got all sorts of rattles etc she likes to play with. Also I've stopped buying the expensive rodent ball things for her toilet and I am instead using cat litter. Is this safe?

Shes having unlimited hay in little rack thing, a small bowl of feed and either a carrot or an apple etc as well. Is this diet ok? She gets them treats with the nut looking things about once a week.

We've struggled to bond so far but we're starting to get there. She'll now stroll over to me if I sit on the floor, put her two front paws on my legs, look at me for a few seconds and then go on her busy little way again!

Just want to check I'm getting it right! :)

Also, will she be ok living outside for July and August? In terms of going from inside to out? Thinking about getting her a hutch and a run so she can take advantage of any nice days we have!

Montyforever

Visit site
Not sure about cat litter I use woodchip.
Carrots/apples are okay but I was always told not too many/too often so you might be giving a little bit too much, but the unlimited hay is good :)
Mines always been in my face and not shy in the slightest I'm talking climbing up me to lick my face .. He's more like a dog now! But when I got him he was terrified of everything so keep going with yours and you should see a big change :)
I'm not sure about going outside for two months might be a bit of a shock and if it's really hot he might be better off inside anyway!
Have fun with your rabbit they are fab little animals and sooo funny :D

threeponies

Visit site
Mine has the wood pellet cat litter, with a big thick layer of hay over it. She has extra hay to eat with a handful of Chudley's Rabbit Royale twice a day, along with spring greens and sweetcorn. We adopted her from Pets at Home but weren't told she was a house rabbit, she sat in one place in her hutch for 2 days we thought she was ill and took her inside and she never moved back out, initially she lived in a dog crate but now she lives free range in the kitchen.
She likes to go out in the garden on nice days but comes back in for the night. She's an odd wee soul with a deep love for my leopard print slippers!

Elsiecat

Visit site
Aw they both sound so cute!!!! I can't wait until she gets confident enough to have the run of downstairs. Slowly introducing her to the other pets in the house. Her and the cat have a deep love for each other but love to wind each other up. 2 of the dogs barely notice her but the other finds her deeply troubling and will stand barking at her all day long if you let her!

I'll cut down on fruit/veg a little then. Would a run with some shelter be ok for daytime in the summer? Just for the really hot days? :)

I will also find some of the woody type cat litter, the ones especially for rodents are a RIP OFF!!! :eek:

Montyforever

Visit site
Yep my bun goes outside in his run occasionally but only supervised as he tends to escape :p you can always pick grass for them when they are indoors and he has plenty of fresh air so not going outside much doesn't seem to bother him :)