My laminitic girl

RubysGold

Visit site
It's been 3 and a bit months since Roo got laminitis. Shes lost lots of weight and looks great for it.
She now gets one hour of turnout every morning. The farrier came last week and there is quite a lot of bruising coming out now and he found some old infection which he says will have contributed to the lameness
I'm starting to ride her. Just 10 minutes round the yard for now because I'm not confident in her ability to work so will just take it very slowly.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
she is looking good. does she have cushings? her back looks like my mare's who has got cushings..and if she has then laminitis may re occur unless you start the treatment...apologies if I am wrong..

RubysGold

Visit site
Yes, the vet took the blood test the first time she came out for the laminitis. She is on the prascend and her blood test last week showed the levels are back to normal :)
Can I ask, what is it that is visible as a few people on here said that she looks cushings. Obviously she is but how do people know?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
It's been 3 and a bit months since Roo got laminitis. Shes lost lots of weight and looks great for it.
She now gets one hour of turnout every morning. The farrier came last week and there is quite a lot of bruising coming out now and he found some old infection which he says will have contributed to the lameness
I'm starting to ride her. Just 10 minutes round the yard for now because I'm not confident in her ability to work so will just take it very slowly.

really pleased she came through horrid disease, not like my girlie, please and I know you will watch her like a hawk in future, check her pulse reg to save her going down with this again.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

really pleased she came through horrid disease, not like my girlie, please and I know you will watch her like a hawk in future, check her pulse reg to save her going down with this again.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Yes, the vet took the blood test the first time she came out for the laminitis. She is on the prascend and her blood test last week showed the levels are back to normal :)
Can I ask, what is it that is visible as a few people on here said that she looks cushings. Obviously she is but how do people know?

Her shape and muscle tone hint at cushings.

mytwofriends

Visit site
What a sweetie!

You sound like a very conscientious and caring owner and she's lucky to have you. Keep up the good work and enjoy your sweet girl!

Micky

Visit site
Pot belly too can be a sign of cushings...glad you got sorted with the prascend, did you have X Ray's taken of her feet when she had laminitis? Make sure there's no rotation? The laminitis site is a great place for all things cushings laminitis and ems, incl diet..you might find interesting and helpful.

texel

Visit site
Glad to hear your mare has come through the worst. Horses pre-deposed to Cushings change shape gradually, they lose muscle mass, develop a dipped back, have a poorly muscled neck and quarters and develop a pendulous abdomen. There is a re-distribution of fat depots. The horse will look thin ("ribby") but gaining a rather "blocky" appearance.

Rest assured these conditions can be managed and the horses can have a good quality of life. I have an 11hh pony mare who is 17 years old now and was first diagnosed with all of these issues including insulin resistance about 10 years ago.

All the best.

RubysGold

Visit site
I had noticed her back had dropped a fair bit but thought that was just age. Shes 22.
Will she always have the crest and fat pads then? She has lost a lot of weight and her ribs are easy to feel and I could see them ever so slightly yesterday so am happy she is slim enough

Micky x rays were taken and there was no rotation :)

Thanks texel, it's good to hear yours is doing well

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
all the signs that others have said, the fat pads should disappear over time but the dipped back is probably there to stay if mine is anything to go by. I think once you have a cushings horse you are more aware of the general look...glad you are on prascend and she should now have a better future. my mare is now 25 and was diagnosed in 2011, and she is very happy but is currently not being ridden due to an old tendon sheath injury that she has injured again by charging round the field!!!!! I was riding 4 or 5 times a week previously and hope to ride again but not sure how long this current injury will take to heal, if it doesn't she will remain a very costly field ornament while she has a good quality of life...good luck with yours..

RubysGold

Visit site
An update for those who have followed our story.
Roo has one and a half hours turnout in the morning. And then I ride for 20-30 minutes most afternoons. I was going to start turning out for half an hour in the evenings too, but at the weekend I felt her pulse and was a bit worried. It seems to have gone again so I'm just watching her like a hawk. If the pulse stays away then we will up the turn out :)

I took this short video yesterday. She is really enjoying her rides :)
http://s1025.photobucket.com/user/glossy1802/media/roo laminitis/MOV_0391_zpsocfzytzl.mp4.html

Last edited:

RubysGold

Visit site
She has lost loads of weight. I think she looks amazing :-D
It rained very heavy this morning so she got covered in mud haha

Last edited: