My learn a new sport

Kylara

Visit site
I try to learn a new sport every year. Recent years have done archery (which I counted as been a very long time since I did it last), running (which I gave up quickly due to reoccurring shin splints and the fact that my muscles didn't get tired but my lungs would give out - perhaps the wrong sport to do after a chest infection ;) ), and trampolining (again been quite a few years since last done). This year I have decided that I shall try a new horse sport. I have done quite a few over the years but chose side saddle as it is offered at a fairly local yard where one of my trainers is based.

Went today for my first go and had an absolute blast! Felt good and really helped focus my hips and on my right ribs which have a tendency to collapse anyway. Swapped onto left rein in walk and found it much easier (apparently this is not normal) and same in trot. Managed to flap my right leg for a bit until brain got it all worked out. Could feel my muscles at the top of my core really working but not enough to hurt.
Popped into canter and very hard to not go with the movement and once again left rein was significantly easier. I put it down to the hyper flexible spine actually coming in handy for once!
Had a good chat in a leg break about hunting side saddle and why some people break horses in side saddle Benfro some more cantering.
Got off and didn't feel too bad,felt the stretch in my right hip so that was nice. Thoroughly enjoyable and booked another lesson for a couple weeks time :D

Any hints and tips? And anything I can work on off horse to improve until next time? Wondering now whether the pony my mother bought last week could be trained side saddle! Had so much fun! :D