My lovely dog ate rat poison today!!!

zoelouisem

Visit site
Well today at work was filling up a water bucket and saw him with something blue and I wondered how he'd got a ball. I went to him and saw him swallowing and knew exactly what it was.
So he was at the vets within 20 mins vomit induced and syringed charcoal. He's home now with charcoal tablets a bit quiet but happy enough.
Vet doesn't think he'll have any lasting damage thankfully as the bait that he was sick was completely undigested.
£110 lighter but thankfully all ok!!! But what a stressful day!!!! After loosing my other dog to young last year and my old girl I'd had since I was 15 3 years ago i don't think I could have coped with another!!!

NeverSayNever

Visit site
what a fright you must have got, thank goodness your dog is ok. Not ever a wise idea to let a dog out of sight on a yard or anywhere for that matter unless it’s your own property and you know exactly what’s about. I know of a couple of people who haven’t been so lucky as you :(

zoelouisem

Visit site
Its at the stables at work at and we don't even know where he got it from my boss was going mental as nor does he!! He is always with me only been there 10 mins max and he just had it!!! Thankfully he doesn't like to stray further and 20 yards from me so I did see it straight away I dread to think what could have been if he'd swallowed it when I hadbr seen.

Umbongo

Visit site
Has the vet suggested blood testing in a couple of days? Any dog I have seen with suspected rat poison ingestion has had blood taken 48-72 hours after ingestion to test the clotting factors. Rat poisoning can result in blood being unable to clot. If this test comes back positive then the dog will need to be on a long course of vitamin K supplementation. Hope he is ok and thank god you managed to act so quickly!

zoelouisem

Visit site
He's going back tomorrow for a check up and presumably a blood test. I think as well because I had literally just arrived at the stables and had him at the vets and vomiting within 20 mins it was caught so early, the small amount that he did bring up was completely undigested.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Gosh you were lucky......... agree that further bloods need to be taken.

If this is your "work" premises, then someone, somewhere, is laying down poison - and if a dog could pick it up then so could a child???? Sorry to state the obvious, but whoever laid the poison down in the first place needs to think about why and what they're doing basically. If there are vermin that need controlling then there are far better ways of doing it than poison :(

RunToEarth

Visit site
Well today at work was filling up a water bucket and saw him with something blue and I wondered how he'd got a ball. I went to him and saw him swallowing and knew exactly what it was.
So he was at the vets within 20 mins vomit induced and syringed charcoal. He's home now with charcoal tablets a bit quiet but happy enough.
Vet doesn't think he'll have any lasting damage thankfully as the bait that he was sick was completely undigested.
£110 lighter but thankfully all ok!!! But what a stressful day!!!! After loosing my other dog to young last year and my old girl I'd had since I was 15 3 years ago i don't think I could have coped with another!!!

I would be expecting a visit from the HSE - the vet will have a duty to notify them of the incident if your dog could easily get hold of the poison - they are meant to be in bait boxes so dogs/cats/wildlife can't eat it.

Well done for acting so quickly, our spaniel ate some last year and had to have injections to stop the blood thinning.

Bellasophia

Visit site
U
Gosh you were lucky......... agree that further bloods need to be taken.

If this is your "work" premises, then someone, somewhere, is laying down poison - and if a dog could pick it up then so could a child???? Sorry to state the obvious, but whoever laid the poison down in the first place needs to think about why and what they're doing basically. If there are vermin that need controlling then there are far better ways of doing it than poison :(
Ditto this....until you know who is putting this down dont take the dog back to the yard. You were so lucky,rat poison is a high cause of fatalities.Thank god you were vigilant and acted so fast.I hope your dog is on the way to a good recovery.

zoelouisem

Visit site
He had a check up and blood test. I also didn't reali they'd given him vitamin k when they'd had him in.
But there really pleased with him, they said I'd acted so quick it basically saved a lot of heartache problems.

And yes it has been looked into and dealt with my boss went mental. He as me has said the main thing is Charlie is ok now!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Vitamin k injection is an antidote. Friend went through this just last weekend. Injection was £30.

Doh - just read they've given a vitamin k injection......