My mare has an upset belly.....

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
My mare has had an upset belly for a few days now (since Saturday). I wormed her on Sunday just in case, she was not due for another couple of weeks. She is in the same field as my boy and he is fine. I have no ideas what could be causing it and I am not really sure what to do
blush.gif
I was going to ring the vet tomorrow for some advise if its not any better.

Would anyone else do anything else different? She is not fed by the way, she just has an apple or two a day and free grazing.

Thanks for your help

GTs

Visit site
I personally would not have wormed her - I used to give my horse pepto bismal when they had an upset tummy (240ml 4 times a day). It did the trick!

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I wormed her as one of the other livery girls said that if she had worms then that may of been causing her upset tummy
confused.gif

Are you serious with the pepto bismal?? Never know when to take you seriously after you suggested I put Regaine on my friends horse who went bald whilst I was looking after her
shocked.gif
LOL

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
May just be a digestive disturbance. However worming can also upset the gut. Yakhault works wonders 1 x twice a day for 3 days and then 1 on the fourth day or you can buy probiotics at the feed merchants.

GTs

Visit site
The wormer really not going to harm her, it would be like having chinese for breakfast after an Indian - could compound the problem, delay getting back to normal, etc.

Yes, I am serious about Pepto Bismal - at the hospital we pump it into horses through a hose in the nose. I would just buy a large syrgine (60ml), fill it up and squirt it in their mouth, like you would a wormer. Just wear your gardnening clothes, and your horse will have pink lips afterwards.

acolvine

Visit site
Hi,

Can i just ask what the symptons are? Worming probably wasn't the best idea but never the less it is done. If you are concerned about worm damage then i recomend you get a testing kit from your local saddlery. Only about £10 and it will give you a worm count so you know if your horse needs worming or not.
Have you tried an old fashioned bran mash with a probiotic?
My mare suffers from stress colic and often has a sore belly. Bran now features in her diet (not in vast quantities) a long with a pro biotic supplement. Check out NAF supplements.
Honestly though if you are really worried a call to the vet would be the best idea. Hope your mare feels better soon. x

GTs

Visit site
Research to date on probiotics suggests that they actually increase the recovery time..............

Theresa_F

Visit site
Personally I would now be ringing the vet for a chat - they may say take her off grass and stable her with hay to see if this settles her or come out and see her.

If she is prone to this, something like Equimins pro-bio is excellent. Cairo used to be a bit delicate but since having this daily eats anything and everything without any effect.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Morning All,

Thanks for all of your suggestions and advise. I have just spoken to the vet and he agreed that if she needs worming then it could be upsetting her belly. I wormed her with Vectin but he said that it does not cover all of them and he has suggested she has Panacur 5 day along with some Probiotics. If she does not improve by the weekend or I am worried then he will come out and see her, examine her and take bloods. Apparently I have done all of the right things
blush.gif
so I am relieved at that. I will go and pick the Panacur up later and the Probiotics.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
That's unusual for vets to give Pepto Bismol as you're not supposed to take PB if you have ulcers - and horses which colic can do so as a result of having gastric irritation/ulcers - ? (Not all colics are related to this but if you're unsure why a horse is colicking it may not be wise to give something that it's not supposed to have)
Kate x

GTs

Visit site
I have never heard that before - the majority of horses in the hospital have ulcers, but I cannot say if PB is not given if they do. I will ask..........