My mare has had a personality transplant!!

claire1976

Visit site
My usually sweet natured TB mare has turned into a beast!
Since moving her to my new field in August she's become horrible to the pony we got.
The pony and my mare arrived at the field at the same time so there were no territory issues but we seperated them with electric tape for a few days just to make sure. She did a bit of face pulling and that but generally seemed OK. The pony is a bit persistent and follows her everywhere but my mare is not in the least bit impressed with this small thing and shooes her away all the time and tries to bite her. She's ripped her rug now and I've seen her reversing up trying to boot pony.
This is not the mare I've known and loved for 6 years, whats happening?
She's never behaved like this when I've moved places before, quite the opposite-shes always settled really quickly.
Her behaviour with me is fine and she's fine out riding, I wonder if it a bit of jealousy?
I was thinking of trying some kind of supplement like moody mare or regulate, what do you all think?

beh

Visit site
OMG, i had the same problems with my two geldings when we moved yards 3 weeksa ago!!!!! our usually sweet natured boy (unless before breakfast) turned into a snarling vicious brute lmao. what we had to do is completely separate fields, they still could see each other, and put a grill up on the door to prevent biting and nastyness, the stable doors were close together though!!!! he is now back to his usual lovely self
smile.gif

Good luck

claire1976

Visit site
Oh glad its not just mine then!! I think I'm going to have to seperate her again then. I have my sister new horse arriving tomorrow - a 3 yr old gelding cob but she's usually better with geldings, the pony is a mare and she's not best impressed with her at all!