My mare tried to kick me twice - help!

tankgirl1

Visit site
My mare who is usually a sweetheart tried to boot me twice the other night when I did my usual checks of lifting her tail and running my hands over her belly and between her back legs. Her eye crusties have now paled into nothingness in comparison. She is due the trimmer on Monday, who she always acts up for, I thought because in the past a farrier booted her until she fell over was why she was such an arse for him, but now I am worrying! I have not gone near her back end since the other night. I am thinking I should call the vet and let her go without being trimmed this time?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Could she just have been in a mood? Personally any of my horses try to kick me and they get roared at to stand up. I am not a horse or a threat so kicking at me is not acceptable.

TIs her up and groom her then repeat the exercise and If you get the same response then uo to you what you do but if you go in scared of her chances are she will give you the same response.

If you or feel anything then uo tonyou what you do.

Frano

Visit site
Is she in season? Some are very sensitive at this time. Is there a pain issue? How long have you had her?

meleeka

Visit site
I think you need to find out what the problem is. Horses don’t ‘try’ and kick, they give you a warning. If she wanted to connect she would have. If it were mine. I’d tie her up as above and groom her working your way to her rump, without touching her belly. If she doesn’t react you can stand at her shoulder and touch her belly where you are out of the kick zone.

If you don’t feel brave enough then ask the vet to sedate and examine.

Could it have been mild colic? Until you try or get someone else to try you’ll never know.