My new family member

Nayumi1

Visit site
So we have added a new member to our family. Introducing Lunar a 6yr old Thoroughbred. She was trained for racing though never made it, she's been then schooled for 2 years with her previous owner.

She has been with us nearly 2 weeks now and she has settled in so well. On the ground her manners are lovely, riding she is forgiving and responsive. I really can't fault her in that regard at all. She does have issues with the farrier, going into the box etc. It seems to be an issue with being confined/restrained. So we will be working with her on that (I have the yard owner and my instructor supporting me with working her on these).

She has been out of work several months before I got her and she has gone straight back into work no problems. A little underweight for now but we will work on that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
She looks lovely.

We had an Appaloosa mare with similar issues, she genuinely seemed to be claustrophobic when we got her. She was 9 at the time, we kept her until she was 31 and she did get better over time. I think that was down to a patient farrier, who was very good with her, a yard move and just the fact that she learned to rust us over time. When we moved to our own place, the stable roofs were quite low and she happily went in, with companions that she knew well next to her.

I am sure that yours will settle over time.

Nayumi1

Visit site
She looks lovely.

We had an Appaloosa mare with similar issues, she genuinely seemed to be claustrophobic when we got her. She was 9 at the time, we kept her until she was 31 and she did get better over time. I think that was down to a patient farrier, who was very good with her, a yard move and just the fact that she learned to rust us over time. When we moved to our own place, the stable roofs were quite low and she happily went in, with companions that she knew well next to her.

I am sure that yours will settle over time.

Thankyou, glad to hear it gets better. Ideally I want to be able to take her out so I’ll be doing plenty of work with the trailer!