My new horse

tangoharvey

Visit site
Bought a new horse today. A 2yo shire x TB....only problem is she's never been handled and doesn't even know what horse feed is!! She's in a stable at the mo, I'd appreciate any tips from people who have done this, any tips on bringing her round?

Sparkles

Visit site
I stayed in the pen at various times throughout the day with coblet when I got him. He was used to bread so I put carrots and horse feed on slices of bread till he got the taste [didn't take long!]. Left a headcollar on with a short piece of rope and got a itchy spot scratch and carrot everytime I slowly casually caught the piece of rope. Let go, had another scratch and would walk away. Didn't take him long to cotton on to the idea that with me came 'nice' things. Each time gradually started moving round and fussing him further round bodyother than neck etc. Once he was catchable like that and walking up to me, I started putting a second headcollar on and off over the top of the one on, with a small scratch and treat as a reward each time. Started the idea of being lead and pressure on head collar by body language and praise everytime he turned when asked, till he cottoned on to the rope being an 'aid' to do something rather than something restricting to fret about. Soon as could move around the box fine softly on a rope, just started leading him out and about round the yard more and more each time with help from a friend just gently following behind in case we had any 'sticky' moments. Got him used to standing by the tie up point. Started looping the rope through the tie up, adding a little pressure each time till he got used to it. Then gradually just ended up tied there really. Always stood patiently from the start, so can't comment on any fidgeting really etc. It was abnormally hot wather still when I first got him, so once we were tying up fine, we had a good luke warm bath scrub for our full first proper all over groom. He loved it and has been beautiful to bath ever since lol. Wouldn't recommend it as a course of action personally but works for me. Everything after that was more and more repetition of the same really! Just general ground manners - walking forwards, backing up, turning away etc. Turned him out in small paddock with easy to catch adult horse for the first few weeks and he would follow the adult horse who came to call each time and in return he would get a scratch, treat, lead rope clipped on, walked a few steps and let go again. Repeated the same, being caught and bought in with the other horse back into pen for dinner. Ever since to this day, you can call him from 2 fields away and by the time you get to his gate, he'll already be there waiting for you and puts his head into the headcollar.

Hope some bits can help you! Good luck. Any pics??? :D

etc - with the feed, with otherones who had never had any kind of feed, I used to sprinkle it on top of the hay so they picked up bits. And always used a very shallow big open bowl when started putting it in a bowl after [like the flat rubber ones], as found the deeper normal buckets would scare them a bit about putting their nose that far in.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Read 'My Next Equine Project' thread, good luck and welcome to the world of feral cart horses, god help you, love from Ted the Twit.

EffyCorsten

Visit site
I love them untouched! Take it slow! And don't get disheartened when you feel you have made great progress one day and the next day it seems you have gone back to the beginning.

Don't put a time scale on anything and make sure you learn to read her. It's so much more important than anything, get that right and everything falls into place eventually.

Your starting aim should be to get her comfortable with you and your touch, eventually getting the head collar on and lead rope.

Then gently working with pressure and release to get her to move her feet and her back end. Leading will come easily if you get her responding to light pressure.

I only ever work with them for 15 - 20 minute periods and prefer to do over months not days or weeks.

Enjoy it !

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Crash hat, toe tectors, gloves, pain relief, gin, sense of humour, injuries (you) multiple reasons why you have a black eye, are lame or just generally battered.

Very occasionally you will have a break through, just expect it all to go wrong the next day. Shires are said to the gentle giants of the horse world, no one told mine that !

OP where are the pictures, love to see the beastie.

blitznbobs

Visit site
What Alice says and turn it out... Bring into stable at first just for a few minutes a day. And only do nice things in the stable. If there is something unpleasant to do do it out side (with someone holding rather than tying up. I like to teach tying up early but everything at the horses pace... Don't move on until the horse is like ' whatever' lots of treats and cuddles but make sure that
'Unacceptable' ie kicking biting and walking thru you, is unacceptable from day one...

Adopter

Visit site
Have to say my first thoughts were, has she see n the Ted Thread!

Guess the TB cross mixes up the gentle giant temperament!

OP, as others say take it slow try to have back up when you handle initially until a routine is established, my youngsters did not take long to learn about feed from a bucket and really enjoy high fibre nuts. I have avoided giving things hard things like carrots whilst they still have a baby mouth.

tangoharvey

Visit site
Amazing progress, day 3 managed to change her head collar for a nice padded one that doesn't rub, groomed 2/3rds of her body inc front legs. Played with her ears and tidied her mane. She seems very genuine and able to trust easily. Wormed her yesterday and a fair few red worms in her poo today. Really pleased with her, going to attach lead rope and see if I can get her out the stable whilst I give it a good clean x

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Big girly in time, good luck. I think a mare might come to more quickly than a gelding. Keep the thread going with updates, it is so interesting to watch 'tricky' horses progress.

tangoharvey

Visit site
Led her round the stable in her head collar today she is so trusting! Changed her head collar for a nice padded one and treated the sores caused by the old one with aloe Vera gel. Played with her ears, won't let me touch her forelock yet for some reason! Brushed right down her front legs, not braved the back ones yet! She's decided she quite likes being fed now and has stopped going to the back of the stable when I approach with food! Picked off loads of bot eggs today too!!

tangoharvey

Visit site
So today I coaxed her out of her stable onto the yard, tried to make her walk by my side but she seemed happier following me. Gave her a carrot on the yard as she bravely looked round and we walked together to a small paddock where I let her out with just her head collar on. I thought she would have a roll but no, a little trot and then some grass. Caught her really easily but she took a bit of coaxing to go back in the stable. So pleased with her in eight days. Her sores from the over tight head collar she came in are healing nicely.

Last edited:

tangoharvey

Visit site
Great progress......and I think I'm in love with her already! Her willingness to trust, her bravery it's just ace! I let her out with a Shetland yesterday for the first time (in her head collar!) she loved it and grazed non stop all day. I worried about catching her but with a carrot it was easy, she was a little reluctant to go back into her stable but as soon as she spotted her tea in there it was fine! Today was even easier she's getting into the routine. Her sores are healing so well, salt water is amazing stuff!! I can groom her all over, even right down her back legs. Tomorrow I'm going to try and pick the back feet up, fronts are fairly easy although she likes to look round at me whilst I do it!
She neighs to me every morning already and it's not even been two weeks!! Here's a pic of her grazing;
http://instagram.com/p/vVp1M1H74X/

tangoharvey

Visit site
I could have cried last night. I went to the field where she was grazing with two others, called her, she looked up, neighs and came trotting over!! I didn't even have to step into the field bless her! Her dinner was ready for her in the stable and I think she's cottoned on to this routine really quickly!
I replayed her loyalty by ordering her her first turnout rug.....blue covered in red and white stars!!!!? (Poor thing, but I love stars!).
Tomorrow I'm going to trim her foaly tail which is nearly on the floor, and begin back feet training!! Eek!