My new pony is half clipped...

_jetset_

Visit site
Well, we have found something Grace hates... clippers!

She started off not too bad, and we got half of her body done, but as soon as the went anywhere near her tummy or under her shoulder she started kicking out with her back leg. Eventually, she caught the lady clipping her (thank god she didn't have shoes on!) and pulled the clippers from her hand and kicked them across the stable.

She was genuinely frightened, so instead of putting her through it again, I am going to sedate her when the clippers have been fixed
blush.gif

It's a huge learning process for me and Grace. I am learning how far she can be pushed, what she will accept and how she reacts, and she is learning that life was much nicer in her old home where she was turned out doing nothing 24/7!

We did run my mini clippers over her after she broke the others, rather than leaving her thinking she had managed to kick them away.

Does anyone else have to sedate their horses to clip?

Rebecca

spooks

Visit site
my pony is fine but i think my horse might be a sedation job, he has a fit if you go near him with a pair of scissors! although he is an ex army horse who would have been hogged so he will have had clippers near him. we are going to try and clip him next week. watch this space!

Dutch

spaces.msn.com
Hi

My Dutch was an absolute gem to clip, he loved it....I think it is perfectly acceptable to sedate a horse for clipping and if there is any doubt then they should be sedated. I once got kicked in the stomach by a horse when I was clipping it's stomach, the owner thought that the horse was fine to clip but it hated it!

Talk to your vet.
Diana

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks Diana... I was going to give them a call on Monday. We could persevere with her, but I would rather keep her as calm as possible rather than stressing her out any more than necessary.

My other mare (IDxTB) used to have to be sedated (sedalin) but is now a star to clip. It just takes work and dedication to get them used to things, and a lot of patience.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
My Hann x TB is great with everything except clipping. He gets very stressed so I normally give him sedalin & then I just get on with it.
He is so genuinely frightened of clippers, he retreats to the corner of the stable & tries to make himself small so you can't see him. Quite difficult for a 16h2" horse.
I'm happy with sedating him to do this, I only have to clip him once a year so it's not too uch bother for me or for him.
smile.gif

Louby

Visit site
Well Ive not only got a boy scared of trailers, hes also petrified of clippers! I'd clipped most of one side (not too bad) and went to make a start on the other (started to get jumpy) and had to give up in the end mainly to prevent an accident so sold my heinigers and got some Moser Avalon cordless. Problem solved, he was great. I honestly think he was scared of the wire and not the clippers as when I think about it, the side he was good on the wire was near the door but on the other side the wire was sort of 'round him' if you know what I mean.

maddielove

Visit site
*raises hand*

YES...she was very out of it when she got her first proper clip.
i would think it would be sensible to have them sedated as then they can see it really isn't so bad cause they won't be stressing themselves out.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
I just clipped two of my horses for the 1st time in thier lives ! Honestly ! The mare who is 8 was a dobin and din't give a damn, the 7 year old was ok but I did get bored of the merry go round so I twitched her!
However I did spend 2 hours today with a customers horse trying to kick my head in - now that in future will have to be sedated for safety.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
If your horse has to be clipped, then I wouldn't hesitate to sedate if that was the only option !! Better than risking your life ! (don't forget to use circuit breakers guys !)

Saying that, my mare's previousl owners said I would never clip her without sedating her and I have.. two years of quiet perseverence (although still good with her back end so have adapted clip accordingly !!)

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... she does need clipping. She is not particularly fit, and is sweating up so much (I am rebacking her at the moment). But she has a rash on her neck and legs where she has sweated badly and the vet advised to clip her and then treat the scabs then.

Hornby

Visit site
My mare is frightened of being clipped, stomach (cow kicks) and anything in front of shoulder. Although you can trim legs and base of mane and tail (if nec) if you take it slow. I did a bib clip with legs held up and twitch last year and then for a full clip I used Sedalin. I used the exact dose (30ml) I think and could not see any difference in her (not asleep on her feet or anything) but she was sufficiently chilled out to let us do all of body, and half of face (all I wanted to do). It was the fastest I have ever clipped (not an expert) and we still held up legs for the stomach for safety's sake but didn't need the twitch for her face. Good luck!

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... fingers crossed that it works because she just looks ridiculous at the moment. The thing is, she did give us plenty of warnings, but then seemed to settle before she exploded. I still like her though...