My (non riding) Burgie Report

kirstyfk

Visit site
As everyone is writing up their reports I thought I would do one too.

My Burgie started on Wednesday evening with the briefing and supper for all the helpers. I have never seen it rain so much as it did on Wednesday but to be honest the ground really needed it, as before that we have had about 1 day of rain in the last month. For those who think it rains all the time in Scotland, on the whole you are right, but Moray is one of the driest areas in the UK so rain like that is unusual!

Alec Lochore gave a very insightful talk about the Beijing Games. Very very funny and as Ian Stark commented he is more like his father everyday. Speaking about Hamish, the first words I heard him say on Wednesday was 'I got my plunger stuck down the toilets!' The janitorial company weren't cleaning the toilets on Wednesday and they had discovered the stopcock was not working.... not the best combination.

Thursday I spent watching the showing, caught up with a few friends and saw Tiger Lily misbehaving in the dressage. After that I helped put up the Arena Event jumps and then we went and put up the course up in the Hall field. Although it wasn't particular nice I still managed to get sunburnt! I also got a quick photography lesson from Harry the photographer but I don't think it helped much!

Friday I had to work for a few hours in morning then went over to watch the Arena Event. We had some heavy showers so I spent most of the time in the Bus, watching my dad help put up the jumps
tongue.gif
Saw a few HHOers, Ria, Lisbeth, Kerilli and I'm sure there were others. I then helped take down the Arena Event jumps and get some things ready for the unaff SJing.

Saturday was an early start as I was jump judging the steeplechase for the Taster Event. Was up there just after 7 as the first horse started phase A at 8am. I don't think jump judging on the chase has ever been so stressful. With people falling off on Phase A, 2 people had run outs, one horse dumped its rider and 4 people got eliminated for coming inside the barrier, which was clearly marked. A further 2 got eliminated for missing out flags on phase C and there was only 2 jump judges
crazy.gif

I had the CCI* off so went to help my dad who was running the unaff SJ. They had loads of entries and where busy until 6pm! I then had a little walk round the course. Saw an air jacket going off with Paul Whitehead going head first into the bank at 5. I was really surprised by the noise it made.

My 2 star jump was number 7, an angled house at the bottom of the huge drop. I was judging with a lady who used to keep her horse close to me so it was nice to have a catch up. However, both the judges at fence 6 and 8 were unimpressed that we had the radio and not them
frown.gif
We had 2 people run past our house and Zara had a stop at the top of the bank. We lost someone whose shoe flew past their ear as the came down the drop! XC finished close to 7pm. I then tried to help put up the jumps in the Hall arena but only managed about half an hour before my mum took me home as I was exhausted. My dad was there until 10pm sorting out the jumps for the next day, having been there since 7am.

My dad was the official steward for the Taster and One day SJing. After a few problems to iron out at the beginning, ie not having a complete running order as they were still doing the trot up as the showjumping was starting. And the big decision of where to do the prize giving I think it went smoothly.

I was jump judging again. This time with a nice girl from Aberdeen. We had easy jumps in all classes but as we where up the hill we could see a lot. I saw my old horse which I rode for someone as a 5 year old. I hadn't seen her since but she looked so well and I am so jealous of the rider
tongue.gif
Waited all day to see Kerilli ride as I saw her in the Arena event looking very smart, only to discover she had gone home
frown.gif

Come down the hill at about 6.30 and then helped clear the show jumps. All the Volunteers looked absolutely exhausted but pleased that we had a successful event, which means that it will probably go ahead next year. As after last year it was dubious if it would continue for much longer.

This has turned into a rather long post and well done if you got yo the end.

punk

Visit site
OMG!!!!!!!! What a wonderful post!! Well done you!!! and all the other members of your family - and all the helpers!!

I have felt SO sorry for Burgie with the weather over the last few years. As you say, that area does NOT have a high rainfall, but it always seems like it, as the last few times I have been have been mud-baths!!!!!!!!
blush.gif

We were not there this year due to daughter's A levels, but am a very keen supporter, and ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED that this year was a good year - AND that it will probably continue - hopefully for ever!! The NORTH needs it, and the Lochores are legends!!
grin.gif

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
It's been my best Burgie yet!! It's my annual 'holiday' and we love our week up there (and I'm biased as I'm from Elgin but live in the depths of the Borders now).

We were really worried last year it wouldn't run again but it was so packed this year I hope it continues to grow and grow.

Well done to you and all the volunteers for helping to make it one of the best events to attend!

p.s. Taster prize giving was a shambles! Half of us were told unmounted and half told mounted. Needless to say I didn't run round the arena on two legs!!

lizzieb

Visit site
Wow I'm tired just reading that! I've done a fair bit of fence judging this year as I'm horseless. I really enjoy it and it's far easier than putting jumps up!

muffinthemule

Visit site
Totally agree with Punk - superb week!!

I'm so humble at your helping for so many days - hats off to you!

Really hope Burgie continues - I remembered what a nice event it is without the torrential rain!

Gamebird

Visit site
Thank you so much - appreciate that it couldn't run without the likes of you lot and was most impressed with the organisation.

I guess you saw me go on the steeplechase? Big bay TB near the beginning? No iffy moment to trouble you and I managed to go through all the flags and the right side of the running rails. Honestly - there was a comprehensive briefing and maps for every competitor plus a roads and tracks course drive so there was NO excuse for going wrong!

kirstyfk

Visit site
Well it gets me into the event for free
grin.gif
And to be honest I enjoy having a job to do. My dad used to be the Chief steward for Showjumping but gave it up as it was so much work. And although this year he was doing the second arena he did as much work!

Gamebird: I think I remember you as you had a bridle number on and looked very professional!

Britestar: Don't worry I didn't hear thing. I was just pleased people were getting over the jumps and going where they were supposed to!

Hornby

Visit site
Thanks for that interesting post - it's nice to hear "from the other side of the fence" for a change!
tongue.gif
Sounds more tiring than competing though.
grin.gif

bogpony

Visit site
Fabby post - and well done to you, and everyone else that worked so hard over the duration!

I must have past you on the sunday - which PN fence were you at?!

kerilli

Visit site
great post, exhausting just reading it! really sorry to have disappointed you by not going xc, it was a really lovely course and i'd walked it properly twice, doubt i've ever known a N track so well!
frown.gif
frown.gif

sorry didn't get to meet you, thanks so much for all your hard work. it was a lovely event, everyone was so friendly and helpful, i didn't hear a cross word all week (very unusual at a 3-day!)
hope to meet you next year if i can get a group together, have already rattled a couple of new cages over Wales/Shropshire way! it is so worth the trek...!

wench

Visit site
Well I was going to post something similar, but will add it onto end!

Fence judging with grumpy sister all day saturday - never again, will do it on my own next time.

Sat eve, paid for tickets to go to evening do - waste of money as sister was in a grumpy and drove away (in my car), BUT a bonus as I was staying on site that evening.

Sunday - didnt know if she was coming back so volenteered to do some work - ended up on a crossing and fence juging.

Would have been great - next time will go on my own I think!!!

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Gosh, I'm tired just reading your report!
blush.gif
Sounds like a good, albeit tiring, week and well done to you and the rest of your clan.

It's hard work but rewarding as well, I really do think that all competitors should really make as much effort to help out at least once during the season, it would make such a difference to events as they're always struggling to have enough bodies.

At Oatridge recently, there were only 2 of us dressage stewarding for up to 5 arenas, plus at one point (while all 5 arenas were running, of course!) we were minus a dressage writer, so the other steward had to stand in and I was left with all 5 sections on my lonesome!

We were also responsible for trying to pick up scoresheets until we sweet talked a lovely quad biker into doing it for us! Trying to pick the right moment to hike across to the judge's car, while not in the middle of a test and still have the collecting ring organised was pretty tricky!

Good on you Mr & Mrs NJ, hope it's a good day and I'll maybe see you at some point, we're doing the training day on the Sunday, can't wait!
smile.gif

TableDancer

Visit site
Great report and well done for all the helping - you must have been exhausted!! Hope it was fun and interesting anyway... Sorry not to have met you, maybe another time!

Daytona

Visit site
ha ha I fell off going through the gate on phase A, she spooked and i totally did not expect it! - chestnut mare - did you see it???

Then at jump two on S/Chase she decided to stop last min and i went flying over her head!!! Although i was told it was an entertaining fall...! then i went inside the barrier -DOH, it was my first time though, not the best of start's i must admit! despite all this i had a fab time there, and will be back next year - hopefully with no mis-haps!!