my OH getting TOTALLY in to this riding lark!

Capriole

Visit site
he's gone from ringing me up to see why im still at the yard, and why i should be giving a horse a massage when HIS leg is quite sore actually thankyou, to
enrolling at college eve classes to do his BHS stages
buying a new saddle for him to use
buying more riding clothes than even I have!
taking long luches from work to go out on hacks...

and even spending longer in a tack shop that I did, to the extent i was waitng outside for him to come out!

NeilM

Visit site
I'm sort of in the same situation as your OH. My wife has been riding since the earth was young, and something like 20 years ago I overcame a fear of horses and learned to ride. She stopped riding for a while because of babies, and I got very involved in Martial Arts.

About 10 years ago she started to ride again, and eventually bought herself a very problem New Forest who she has transformed into a total dobbins. Around Christmas, having retired last year from the MA's (takes too long to heal these days) I sort of fell into riding again.

My wife has bought another NF, who I am riding at present and I am spending more and more time with the horses (ponies?).

I now have four pairs of Mountain Horse boots, five pairs of jods, which are hard to come by and damned expensive, a couple of hats, a load of rugby / eventing tops etc. three Driza-bone coats, and a bunch of bright jackets and vests. I also slope off around lunchtime for a little hack into the woods and back
wink.gif

BTW, do other riders ignore your OH when he's on horseback? I posted a thread a little while ago about feeling invisible
mad.gif

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Mine was the same last year when we had our mare. I would phone him in the afternoon and hear clip clopping in a background! Then went to tack up one day and there were different reins and stirrups on my saddle. Apparently mine weren't good enough.

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
My OH also now has the bug. He used to be petrified of them when I met him about 14 years ago. He grew more confident around them and started just popping on occasionally (was very good quite quick but wouldnt tell him that!)
About 3 months ago he got the bug big time and now takes my mare out doing Trailblazers at 85cms (never jumped a course up to about 3 months ago!) He rides her more than me!
Have now just bought another so we can both ride and not be argueing over "who's go it is"
Can't wait until we are in the same class competing - I'll never hear the last of it if he beats me!
smile.gif

Capriole

Visit site
no he doesnt get ignored, he rides along like the lord of the manor greeting everyone he meets
smile.gif

he was riding in the field the other day and i had to smile because he had a lovely natural position and the moody mare was beautifully on the bit, although OH wouldnt have had a clue
smile.gif

duckling

www.facebook.com
Mines actually quite willing to learn but I don't have a horsey to put him on yet!! Can't afford riding school or anything, we're both students, but he was saying the other day that he really fancies charging round an XC course - his never sat on a horse before btw!!
laugh.gif

Capriole

Visit site
i am lucky in that i have a mare who can carry him, although she's not that suitable as she's a baggage, and at a pinch he could ride my WC/TB cob (although im a bit precious about my cob
smile.gif
)

his face was a picture at weekend because someone looking at one of my other gees also had a try of the moody mare.
the OH is a bit worried that as he's getting keen if I sell his horse he'll have nothing to ride
smile.gif

NeilM

Visit site
We have had a few 'moments' as my wife is of the old school of teaching, ie. bark orders and preferably finish with the word NOW!

Having spent over 20 years as a student and instructor in the Martial Arts I don't particularly mind that, but it is sometimes hard for her, as she thinks I know more than I do, for instance, I had never put tack on a horse, having only ridden at a riding school. I could take it off ok, but on...total mystery!

We did a little jumping recently which was great. Of course I took a tumble, but break-falls are not just used on the mat!! I am looking towards XC / Jumpcross and possibly Le Trec, but all that comes only when the BOSS says I am ready. Hai Sensei!!
grin.gif

hellsdarkrose

Visit site
I don't think my OH will ever be like that. I tried to get him to come and take pics of me riding so I could sow my mum. He sat in the car for an hour and a half reading his computer mag
tongue.gif

NeilM

Visit site
I took my wife to the Badminton Charity Fun Ride the year before last, and the lady who was renting from us at the time got her husband to take her too, plus we took another friend. So three horses and two trailers.

I took my camera, and while the ladies were riding, I wandered about and took a few shots, visited the trade stands etc. The other guy sat in his Range Rover reading his MG owners club magazine and was generally grumpy on a fantastic sunny day because in his words "it's her hobby not mine"
shocked.gif

I was not even riding at the time, but it was still a nice day out.

BeckyD

Visit site
Well from having never touched a horse before my OH is now happy to handle Ronnie and sort out his boots and rugs. He doesn't come down to the yard very often though, but it's still a big step. The exciting thing is I'm hopefully taking him riding for the first time in March, fingers crossed. He's very excited about it. I've warned him he's going to really hurt! He loves heavy horses and always looks at pictures of Shires and Clydesdales longingly.