My old girl - thoughts please.

cbmcts

Visit site
I have a very old dog. She has got very doddery over the past couple of weeks and just wasn't quite right but nothing I could put my finger on. So off to the vets we went last week as I wasn't trusting my own judgement, if that makes sense?

Anyway, after a long chat with the vet about what was and wasn't working properly and what was fair to do, we decided to put her on permanent metacam to try and keep her comfortable with her arthitic hips and to monitor an old spine injury - done chasing foxes at 17 years old! - that is affecting her back legs.

Finally getting to the root of my dilemma but I don't know if this is because I'm looking at her with different eyes is that while she has perked up a lot mentally, she appears to be deteriotating very rapidly physically. She is struggling to jump up on sofa despite having a step to help her that she won't use and her back legs are very wobbly all the time now. She isn't suffering at the moment but I'm terrified that I will leave it too long and she will. At the same time, while she is bright, happy and seems pain free making the call to vets to come and pts is just too difficult.......

I know I need to do so any thoughts, advice, opinions? Tactful ones please, it's difficult enough already.

Ravenwood

Visit site
Isn't it just awful when they get old :( Poor old girl, so sad to see them like this.

I always remember an old dog we had when I was a little girl and my parents left it far too late to have her pts, poor thing lost all her dignity, she had to be lifted up and carried and I swore that I would never, ever let one of my pets get to that stage.

The saying "better a week too early than a day too late" is probably quite a good motto to live by I think and although its is absolutely gut wrenching and devastating to make that final call to the vet - you know that it is the kindest thing that you can possibly do for her. It is our duty as an owner to make sure they don't suffer and once she is gone, she is gone - it is you who is left behind is the one who has to deal with all the awful emotions but at the same time you must congratulate yourself for doing it and not letting her suffer.

I really feel for you xx

wildwest

Visit site
i so feel for you we appear to have the same dilema emotionally hes alert bright eyed and wagging his tail like mad. physically hes a wreck :{
ive made my decision .........possibly the hardest ill make
hugs and best wishes to you and your beloved dog xx

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
you really do know the right course of action. quality of life or quantity due to drugs. do the right thing. yes it is very hard but please do not watch them suffer. not for your own sake. an good oldie at 17 deserves this chance for you to make the right decision for her with dignity. sorry, but you have to front up now.

cbmcts

Visit site
Thank you for your thoughts. It's pretty much confirmed what I was thinking - maybe I was hoping someone would come up with a miracle cure - how silly was that?:eek: but you know what I mean.

I'll call the vets on Monday, they probably won't come out on Monday (busy day at the surgery) as it's not strictly an emergency so it'll be Tuesday. In the meantime she's being spoiled with catfood, her favourite food ever even if doesn't taste quite as good as when she would do mission impossible style courses at the yard to rob the barn cats food and lots of cuddles. She has lovely couple of hours today sunbathing in a sheltered corner of the garden.

Thanks again x