My old pony has died. Not sure what to do, now.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'm sure you'll agree, he was the cutest thing and a fantastic companion to Henry, who is grieving as much as I am.

He did not winter well and the plan was to give him a nice summer, then make a decision in the Autumn, but it was taken out of my hands, as I found him dead in the stable, on Friday evening, looking like he was sleeping, slumped against the wall. Henry was with him and I gave him plenty of time to say goodbye before he was collected on Saturday morning.

I'd love to think it was a peaceful death, but after he was collected on Saturday morning, I saw blood on the wall, too high for it to have come out after he died. Maybe he fell so hard against the wall, maybe something ruptured in his lungs, I will never know. He's left a big hole in my heart, that's for sure.

RIP Little B. xxx

I took this pic about a month ago. Shows his fluffy head quite well! Not sure whether to get a new companion/project or consider a livery yard. I do like my own space too much, I think!
LittleBSideCrop.jpg

HollyP

Visit site
He looks adorable
smile.gif

Thats very sad, but like you said its easier that it was taken out of your hands...don't worry too much about the blood, he has just left his mark x

Do you have them at home with you?

Erehwemos

Visit site
Oh how sad
frown.gif

RIP little fluffy pony
frown.gif

I'm sorry you had to find him like that....but you know, in a way its lovely that the decision was taken out of your hands - it was obviously his time to go. You will never know what caused the blood, but it could have been anything. I'm sure he went peacefully
frown.gif

Hugs to you xxx

Shellby27

Visit site
Awwwww so sorry for your loss! What a beautiful boy! I'm sure he passed peacefully. He has gone somewhere just as nice as the lovely caring home you gave him!

There are lots of horses/ponies being advertised as a companion at the moment due to credit crunch/old age/unsoundness etc. I am sure your other horse would appreciate a new friend and maybe the new addition will help ease the pain a little.

****BIG HUGS*****

majicmoment

Visit site
He looked like he had a very good innings, which is testament to the love you must have given him. RIP little fluffy pony xx

sea_view

Visit site
Very sad to hear this, he sure looked like he lived a full life. Take your time to get over you loss and then decide what you want to do.

X

Daffodil

Visit site
What a dear old boy. So sorry for you but actually rather nice that in the end you had no horrid decisions to make.
My advice, for what it's worth, is to start looking for another, particularly at the beginning of the summer when you've got time to get to know one another. I know people say that you should give yourself time, and that you might feel guilty about replacing him so soon, but it certainly helped me. And there's a lot of ponies out there looking for a good home.

RIP little B. Good luck.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Thanks, all. I have next week off, so plan to see a couple of people in the know over the weekend, maybe go and see a pony or two. One option I thought was a loan WVTB, so I have time to decide, whilst Henry gets a companion sooner, rather than later. My OH sometimes does transit deals with a pikey who has proper gypsy cobs and I'm thinking either one of those or another exmoor, so I have a matching pair!

I have to say I'm swaying away from livery so far, even though this is the ideal time to do it. I was with a dear friend yesterday, who has offered me space at her yard, but listening to her, I know that she would drive me potty if I was there every day!

Daffodil, I certainly see you point. Certainly with cats, I've done this. We replaced our old persian years ago with a CPL moggy, before we'd even collected the persian's body from the vets. I've never regretted that, but I want to wait a little while to give Henry time to grieve. He's definitely not himself at the moment.

For those wondering, he was in his mid-late thirties. I was told he was 'about 30' when I took him on at the beginning of 2002. So, he might have been 35, he might have been 40! No idea! He was certainly a lovely old bugger, though.
smile.gif

bellaboo

Visit site
RIP little B,

If it helps, i found my lovely heavyweight cob dead in his stable a couple of days after a RTA, i also found a small amount of blood on the wall but could not find an injury on him at all. The results of a post mortem were that he had a heart attack so his death was very quick, what happened to little B sounds just the same so i'm sure he went quickly : (

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
RIP to your adorable old man xx

Also, If you start a hunt for a companion pony, my friend is currently trying to sell hers. PM me if you ever need details x

D

Donkeymad

What a lovely little chap, he has had a good life with you. try to remember all the good times.

RIP little man.
frown.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
<<<Hugs to you re your little old man >>>>

Re your livery situation, maybe you could spend the summer somewhere else, like at your friends, until you decide whether to get another companion and what sort/age to get.

Probably, the speed of the decision will cement in your mind whether you prefer livery or doing your own thing!

: )

Fransurrey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
RIP little B,

If it helps, i found my lovely heavyweight cob dead in his stable a couple of days after a RTA, i also found a small amount of blood on the wall but could not find an injury on him at all. The results of a post mortem were that he had a heart attack so his death was very quick, what happened to little B sounds just the same so i'm sure he went quickly : (

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the second person to say that, Bellaboo, so I guess that's what it was! Thanks all. Still thinking on it, but I get a sinking feeling when I think about livery, so I think the decision is made, but will sleep on it a few more days, to make sure I'm thinking objectively.