My patterdale's favourite game

YasandCrystal

Visit site
It has taken Coco (the patterdale) 2 and a half years to 'listen' to me. He finally does although the vid would say otherwise. He has a thing with this young WB - who used to be very aggressive and it's a game between them it seems. Sometimes the horse tries to lash out - then Coco engages brain and tugs to one side. If he gets little or no response to his tail tugging he rubs aound to the horse's head as if to say 'come on mate I am playing here!' :)

He's hard work but a right big character :D Typical patterdale. Thanks for your comments and yes I think Tim is a beauty too :)

francourt

New User
Visit site
Liked you video. My 18 month old patterdale likes to jump up and pull hay out of my mares
mouth. Poor horse who is usually grumpy about her food doesn't bother one bit. One morning when she was asleep in her stable pattie jumped on her back, wish I had a picture.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Liked you video. My 18 month old patterdale likes to jump up and pull hay out of my mares
mouth. Poor horse who is usually grumpy about her food doesn't bother one bit. One morning when she was asleep in her stable pattie jumped on her back, wish I had a picture.

Ah that's funny. They are such characters :)

Hedwards

Visit site
While I see this is quite amusing, I'm really sorry OP I wouldn't be letting any dog of mine persist in this 'game' what if he does it to another horse, he may not be so lucky as he is with yours and/or he could seriously frighten a horse. I'm sure you don't let him have access to other horses, but I know when you have horses and dogs it's inevitable you come across them...

YasandCrystal

Visit site
While I see this is quite amusing, I'm really sorry OP I wouldn't be letting any dog of mine persist in this 'game' what if he does it to another horse, he may not be so lucky as he is with yours and/or he could seriously frighten a horse. I'm sure you don't let him have access to other horses, but I know when you have horses and dogs it's inevitable you come across them...

I knew someone would say this and yes I completely agree with you that this game of his is dangerous. He is a clever cookie though and he knows to leave my other horses alone and just does this with the one horse and will only go so far also. He is a patterdale through and through and he is not let off the lead near any other animal except my dogs and horses. I also know I run the risk of him getting kicked and so does he he to be fair - but the choice is we run the risk or he loses out on a couple of hours of great exercise in which he may spend a few minutes playing his tail tugging game. He was a rescue dog and really should have a 'working' home I guess. I do reprimand him and he will desist when I shout , but the temptation is too much for him not to start the game.
My OH is a farrier and we hoped he may be a van dog like the veteran rough coated bitch we have, but alas no way :(

Last edited: