My pony didn’t make his predicted height..

Fortanedancer

Visit site
I acquired a nearly 2 year old Irish cob who stood at 12.2 hh and was in a mindset that at that age he’d probably reach a good 13.2/ 14hh once ready to start. Here we are 18 months later and the lovely lad has grown all of one inch.
he’s the stocky sort, about 40 stone, very compact but short backed. I’ve bought a treeless saddle for him as it would be difficult to find one to fit him that I could actually ride him in.... then I got on the scales ?... The 20% rule would mean I have to be 8 st tops and im 8.7. I could actually cry about it because I bought him as an untouched, feral, ungelded nearly 2 year old. I’ve put so much work in to him to get him to the point where he is 100% ready to start his ridden education and I’m afraid I won’t be able to unless I lose the weight. He’s got some quirks and wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea so I wouldn’t want to sell in case he was passed around, he also isn’t a child’s pony at the moment obviously.
anybody else ever been in the same pickle? What did you do about it?

CMcC

Visit site
If he is now 3.5 years old he probably still has some growing to do.
why not give him another 6 months and see whether he has grown a bit more before backing him.
I have a Connemara pony, she wasn’t backed until she was 5. I had to buy a 16” saddle to have her backed in, 6 months later she had was able to take a 16.5” saddle.

Fortanedancer

Visit site
He could grow a lot more yet, my 15 0 ½ cob at 4 was 15 3½ at 7.

Could you teach him to drive while you wait?

funny you should say that, I’ve had him in the harness last week just getting used to it, he’s been a dream bless him. So good and so easy. It’s not my forte though and I’m not very good at driving. I could get some help though. ??

Fortanedancer

Visit site
If he is now 3.5 years old he probably still has some growing to do.
why not give him another 6 months and see whether he has grown a bit more before backing him.
I have a Connemara pony, she wasn’t backed until she was 5. I had to buy a 16” saddle to have her backed in, 6 months later she had was able to take a 16.5” saddle.

Sounds like I should wait until the summer. I’ve just had a 7 month old Connie, he’s the same size as my cob already (with a much more pleasant attitude) ! Lol x

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
None of my native large breeds had reached their full height by that age . Some have needed annual height certificates for showing , meaning that they were regularly measured by a vet ( rather than a less accurate home ' guesstimate ' ) and almost invariably showed an increase in height ( sometimes a lot , sometimes a little ) easily up to the 6yo mark . And my Fell , who measured in easily at 6 , was well out at 7 ( so we took up dressage instead ! ).

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
When I was about 8st 5lbs I used to regularly ride and hunt my sister's 12hh welsh. My sister did too and she was taller and heavier than me. I couldn't always hold him out hunting and he would go all day. This was in the days when we hacked to hunts and shows. He wasn't a cob either, just a hill pony. He lived to 30 and it was only cushings that finished him off. Give your pony some more time, he is till very young and don't put on any weight. He should carry you easily.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Your pony could well grow a lot more. Why don't you do the string test, which should give you an idea of his potential mature height? (search on here for the details of how to do it). FWIW an extra 7lbs shouldn't worry a stocky, well built cob no matter how much he does or doesn't grow.

C24

Visit site
My Welsh D was 14.1/14.2 at 3 years and again at 4 years. At 5yo he measured as 15 hands. All horses are different of course but I’d give him another year, sometimes they just have a late growth spurt ?

Fortanedancer

Visit site
Thank you all! I really appreciate your input, it’s very reassuring and I’m going to do the string test tomorrow as advertised to see what his potential might be ??

Schollym

Visit site
There are published research reports that suggest a horses skeleton is not fully formed until they are seven. Some breeds are notorious for being slower to develop, I think Irish draughts fall into this category. My Irish cob was 14.3 on his passport at the age of 4 but was definitely hit 15.2.

Louby

Visit site
My mare was just 3 when I bought her, she was advertised as 15.3 although friends reckoned she was smaller. Shes very fine and compact and being used to a chunkier bigger horse I was a bit yikes when she didnt seem to grow at all. I did the string test, was very sceptical as thought theres no way she will make 16.3 but at 6 yrs old shes probably now 16,2 and often looks over 17hh ha ha. Definitely try the string test, it would be really interesting to see what it says as it worked for my girl.

Fortanedancer

Visit site
Breed makes no difference to skeletal maturing rate. It is a complete fallacy that there are fast maturing breeds and slow maturing breeds.

yes, after all of these comments I’ve been reading up about it. From what I’ve read if correct, apparently no horse will be fully grown before 5 and a gelding can grow even longer than that with stallions maturing sooner than mares and geldings. It’s really interesting and It’s been very reassuring ???

Last edited: