My poor friend has lost her foal

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Just got off the phone to my friend, her favourite PRE mare has just lost her foal :(

The mare had gone 390 days and went into labour last Wednesday, she managed to expel the head but no feet visible so the vet was called, it took them one and a half hours to get the foal out as they had trouble locating the feet. The foal (a beautiful big black filly) was actually born alive but it soon became apparent that all was not well - she had contracted tendons in her knees (which was why the mare had so much trouble), there was nothing the vet could do so they euthanised her on the spot.

Poor friend, poor mare - please send vibes :(

Irishlife

Visit site
I have heard more bad news this year than ever before, we all need to be putting positive breeding vibes out there. Same sad stories over here. Condolences to your friend and the poor mare.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Agree with IrishLife, I don't believe I've ever heard of such bad luck than people have been having this year and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it either because it's hitting every type of breeder be they a one mare or a whole stud owner.
So very sorry for your friend and her mare.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
You are right, there does seem to be a lot of bad news this year, I said as much to my friend :confused:

The poor mare was still grieving until Friday (even though they left the body with her for 8 hours) then the poor girlie got an infection due to internal tearing, she is on the mend now thank goodness poor lady.

My friend has two more mares due to foal this week and is understandably really nervous about it now, although the vet has told her that nothing she did was to blame and that nothing she could do would have saved the foal, human nature being what it is, she is looking for ways to blame herself :(

Please God let the next two be trouble free births.

SSM

Visit site
I really feel for your friend and her mare. 390 days is that not rather over cooking? I am only asking as a paranoid first time breeder.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
I really feel for your friend and her mare. 390 days is that not rather over cooking? I am only asking as a paranoid first time breeder.

Yes it is rather overcooking it - normal gestation is around 340 - 370, apparently, according to the vet, the foal could not give the right birth signals (it was bent back at the knee) and this is why she was so late, there came a time when she just simply had to be born regardless - the foal WAS huge and measured 13hh behind, the mare was about 15.2 and the stallion was 16h.

Enfys

Visit site
:( Rotten, rotten luck, this foaling lark really kicks you in the teeth when it goes wrong. So sorry to read this.

I hope the mare recovers quickly, horrid experience for everyone.:(

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Having lost my foal last week, I know exactly how your friend is feeling. Huge (((hugs))) to her and her mare. If it is any consolation, Dolly screamed when we separated her from the foal (we left them together for 48 hours in case a foster could be found), but to look at her now, you would never know. She is back out with her friends without a care in the world.

Holly831

Visit site
So sorry (((HUGS))) for your friend,

I too lost both my mare (Holly) and her foal in March, then my second foal born (Louie born 1st May)) was a very sick boy for the first 4 days and we thought we would lose him too.
I have one left to foal and I am still really paranoid but I feel its normal after the bad luck we have had this year and I know I am not the only one.

Good Luck with the next two foaling. xx

aregona

Visit site
so so sorry for your, last year this was me and my friend. My mare and my friends foal, the foal died 17 hours after birth. devastating. The same mare is in foal again and due anyday, she tried foaling early again (thats what happend last year) at the beginning of april but thanks to vets and plenty of meds she had held onto it and we are now bitting our finger nails as she started to show signs of foaling well over a week ago so any time now.
I dont think i have been more frightened of a mare foaling in years but this year i have 2 to foal and im terrified.

I really hope your friends mare mends quickly, there is not much we can say to help but vibes on there way xxx

angrovestud

Visit site
Its so harrowing to lose a foal, we lost one in feb to our mare who had 3 babies no probs never thought she would be the one to lose a foal it died in utero and did not turn 2 days before she expelled it by galloping round the field like a thing possessed, she became slower in her eating 2 days before she lost her.
and my friend has now lost three 1 with a disfigurement to severe to continue life one colic, and another a missed twin had been scanned and she went to term.
so all I can say is godbless stay strong. xx

CILLA

Visit site
So very sorry for your friend it is so sad when you come on the forum and hear about another foal lost. We are waiting for ours due at the end of the month and as a first timer you suddenly realise how much can go wrong.

Big hugs to your friend and good luck to all those still waiting.

elizabeth1

Visit site
So sorry to hear this.My mare Betty lost her foal too ten days ago and it is heartbreaking.She is doing well now though back out with her friends and I am thinking of resting her this year and then covering her again next year.She is such a good mother ,her 2 year old is lovely and ,sad as this loss was for us all,life has to move on.
Hugs to your friend.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Hugs to your friend - sounds very similar to what happened to my mare and foal. Legs bent right back and only the head presented. It was a horrible thing to go through but thankfully the mare is 100% back to normal and didn't grieve for her foal at all. It was my first attempt at breeding (though the mare was experienced) and it has put me off trying again but hopefully I'll feel differently next year. It does make you wonder when you hear yet another story of a mare just turfed out in a field and not checked regularly yet has a healthy foal. But what's meant to be and all that...