My Poor Mare

koeffee

Visit site
Had vet to my old girl yesterday who is 6 weeks from foaling, we think she has laminitis, bless she is in awful pain, never had it in her life, been really muddy so i brought her in two weeks ago, haylage, small amount of food, now crippled. still loving her food though!!! vet coming again to day, not sure were we go from here, just trying to keep her calm and comfy as possibly, heavy breathing and sweaty, just hopeing she pulls through

angrovestud

Visit site
Oh koeffee I am so sorry your poor girl we are in the same boat as you lami since the 1st of January we have been nursing her through since then 3 weeks fro foaling now but not in great shape feet wise.
Good luck with your girl and the vet, has she been put on bute ours has and its helped a lot.
Has your vet mentioned cushngs laminitis to you just a thought.

koeffee

Visit site
i feel for you angrove, its not a nice thing to deal with, just found out they gave me the wrong dates for the mare when i bought her too, she isnt due until 5.6.11, not early april. She is on bute, but its not really having much effect, she was pretty stressed this morning, hopeing she has settled when i go back up lunch time, work gets in the was unfortunatly. vet coming again at 2.

lornaA

Visit site
my old mare used to get laminitis. Best advice i had was to use deep bedding like shavings as it will mould around the feet as she walks around or using rolled up bandages make frog supports and bandage and tape them firmly on to the feet. My mare also had acp tablets for a week and bute plus very strict box rest for at least 6 weeks even if they look better long before this. I fed mine restricted hay in very small holed haynets and happy hoof which is a chaff type stuff with wee pellets of stuff in it so they get some goodness. Look on the website ofr the laminitis trust as it is quite good. My mare got laminitis in january 2 or 3 years ago and they think it was caused by eating frosty grass.

angrovestud

Visit site
Yes the laminitis trust also mentions Cushings laminitis that what my mare ha and she has to be fed for the sake of the foal I have been advised by my vet that once she foals the hormones will stop making the cushings and lami worse so we should see a drastic improvement.
Mine girl has been in a sand paddock no frosty grass the blood vessels become resticked due to the cushings and the dopamine that why shes on pergolide trouble is she would lose the foal if she was not on it lke she did last year we had no idea she had it!
but the down side is that we could end up with limited lactation so were in the thick of it die if you do die if you dont we have bought powdered colostrum and I am trying to find a stud near me that i could collect colostrum off if I needed it, saying that she has bagged up quiet nicely.
I hope all goes well for your mare and thanks for the best wishes for her

Ladylina83

Visit site
my mare has been lame for a few days thought it might be lami due to pulse - she has had it before but never in feb !! The vet had mentioned cushings lami to me too he said it seems quite common atm.

I hope she will be ok,

I have wondered about it being sooo muddy if she is just more sensative than the norm to stones etc as sound in the field and no funny stance !

SKY

Visit site
sorry to hear about your mare, please try this.
go out to fields and if you can find any dont know if there out yet if not go to herbal shop and buy some dry ones, but fresh is best. so a load of nettles just from field and add a few full bulbs of garlic now bulbs not cloves the full thing take of skin and add all the cloves if 2-3 bulbs and add boiling water and cook it like a soup. sounds funny but trust me, so just nettles and garlic and boiling water in big pot. cook blend all till smooth and seive in a jug and use juice to just let cool and bottle it will last 3days in fridge. pour in to very large syringe size of a wormer syringe, put down her mouth like a wormer as much as you can, 4 if you can 6 or 8 of them and next day you will see abig different in heat in her feet and a few days of this even twice aday if she will let you she should be alot better. it is great for blood flow (circulation). thats what she needs if still needs it make up more soup but you could freeze it and defrost as she needs it. has worked on my uncles and friends horses and even on here i passed this on and it has helped. its just something i made up when my mare was bad and vet couldnt believe it next day. hope it works for you, worth a try, try aleast 4 syringes if she wont let you put 6 in her, syringe size same as a wormer large you can buy them in vets, my mare actually liked the taste. also with the waste when you sieve you could dry out whats left in the sieve and feed he it if you will eat it. but as long as she gets the juice in her thats what will do the trick.

Last edited:

koeffee

Visit site
well had a little shock this morning, mare up walking fine all as though the last two days hadnt happened??? if i believed in miracles i would say she was one!!! lovely to see, just hopeing it lasts. waiting for blood test results today???

omen62

Visit site
Snap about the garlic & nettles, have seen that juice used years ago. What I do not understand is if it works how comes no one has bottled it & made a mint from it?? Hope both mares stay well & have safe foalings.

angrovestud

Visit site
Oh koeffee I am so pleased for you and your mare how wonderful, keep us posted on her and very good luck XXXX
our girls ok 315 today foaly kicking so all's well still

koeffee

Visit site
Well feel very lucky my mare seems on the mend. And after such a short time Had some blood results back and she has an infection which vet thinks brought on the laminitis, still waiting for the cushings test results, but looking good so far, she still has supports on but no longer sweating or labouring breathing. Hope your mare hangs in there and gets better angrove.

angrovestud

Visit site
Keeping my fingers crossed for you that she does not have cushings, she not really worse or better I do not think she will improve until she foals.