My Poor Pup!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Anyone anti-docking would not remain so for long if they could see my poor pup now!

His tail has split recurrently since we first had him, but it always healed, however the past week he has got progressively more irritated with it.

I have inspected every inch of it and can see nothing, but it is really bugging him. He has now chewed the hair off it and will not leave it alone.

He is the sort of dog that stops for nothing when he is out walking, but since his tail is bothering him he spins every few steps to chew it.

It is becoming a real mess
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

So we are off to the vets as soon as possible in the hope they can do something.

I do not want to start the whole docking debate, I do not care what your views are, so please don't start! My Dog is unhappy and that is all that concerns me!

Horseyscot

Visit site
Poor Otto
frown.gif
Hope you get him sorted out soon.

Not wanting to join 'the debate' but what you describe is exactly why such breeds should be docked. It's still legal in England though isn't it? Here in Scotland we don't even have the choice
mad.gif

((hug)) for Otto xx

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Poor little Otto, looks like he and Evie are in the wars together. Hope the vets are able to help him but docking may be the best solution. Lets face it spaniels did tend to be docked as pups for a reason
frown.gif

kirstyhen

I really hope we can get it sorted without having to have it amputated, poor sod doesn't need to be put through that!! But I really doubt it!

It doesn't even appear to be split, but it obviously hurts, he won't let you touch it without someone pinning him down
frown.gif
If he wags it and it knocks something he immediately starts chewing it
frown.gif

Poor wee mite
frown.gif

competitiondiva

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Poor Otto
frown.gif
Hope you get him sorted out soon.

Not wanting to join 'the debate' but what you describe is exactly why such breeds should be docked. It's still legal in England though isn't it? Here in Scotland we don't even have the choice
mad.gif

((hug)) for Otto xx

[/ QUOTE ]

Not getting into the debate but for information you can still have a pup docked if it is one of the listed breeds AND it is to be used as a working dog AND not shown.
Oh and of course once over the deadline age (3 days??) then of course it can be done for medical reasons under an aneasthetic.

Patches

Visit site
I had this problem with Jasper when he was under a year old. My vet at the time referred to it as "wagtail".

I was offered a docking type procedure but was advised against it. They cannot possibly dock it to give the same cosmetic result as it would have had if it'd been done when a tiny pup. He'd have literally looked liked it'd been chopped squarely off. It would also have been incredibly painful for him to wag it, sit down etc had it been removed so close to his bottom.

Soooo....we went for the lesser option and had about two inches taken off it, just to take the tail up to the slightly thicker part.

It was still a bugger to heal. As you can imagine, he still wanted to wag and any bandages they applied would soon be wagged off.

We cut the top off a 500ml coke bottle, padded it out inside and slide it over his tail duck taping it to the hair, folding hair back and wrapping it around to help hold it between the layers of tape.

It worked. He had a "cone" on his tail so when he wagged it was the neck/shoulder of the pop bottle he was hitting and not his tail.

It took a couple of weeks to heal and has never been a problem since. His tail is flat at the end, but it's barely noticeable unless I cut the feathering on the end of it too close to the end. No hair grows on the "stump" end.

He's nearly 14 now, and as I say, he has never once split it since.

kirstyhen

[ QUOTE ]
Do spaniels get irritated tails if they are'nt docked? Why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they wag them furiously and constantly, they also go through extremely dense cover (bracken, brambles, etc). They snag on thorns and split open when they hit things.

I think Otto's has become so bad because the cover is wet, so it is a bit like wet eczama at the end and has gotten infected, although I can't see anything so I haven't actually got a clue.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Until you can get him to the vets, try washing it with a hibiscrub solution. One of my GSDs used to get wet eczema flare ups and i always found hibiscrub did the trick.

Spudlet

Visit site
Poor Otto
frown.gif

I have seen it suggested to use vet wrap to protect the tail in cover but obviously not much help if he is just bashing it around by wagging... hope he feels better soon.

kirstyhen

I have a really good step by step guide to wrapping the tail to protect it in cover, but Otto would have to wear it 24/7!!

We have been washing it in Salt Water which has helped a bit, I will try hibiscrub, thanks!

Spudlet

Visit site
Would a barrier cream help to keep it clean perhaps? Just a thought
confused.gif

Hope he feels better today

kirstyhen

We are going to try Hibiscrubbing it and Sudocrem, although I have a feeling he will just lick it off!

He is better today because we went on a different walk, so there was different cover which was also dry and it made a huge difference.

He was still chewing it though!
mad.gif

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Pas hurt the end of his tail last year - I kept applying Morrisons version of Savlon to it as he hated the taste and wouldnt lick it. Also Horse Sense do a good wound cream (its in Colne Saddlery in a large tub with a bright yellow and blue label) that dogs won't lick
smile.gif

charlie_brown1

Visit site
Our springer had this last year. After 5 trips to the vet trying different things, steroid injections, creams etc. But he would still chew it. To the point of the vet offereing one more bottle of stuff. Before we talked about having his tail amputated. The last thing we used was cutaneous spray solution for dogs, sprayed on twice a day. It was like a magic cure. We have not had a problem since.

Good luck, I find when he started chewing it, he was mental and would not leave it alone.

Mandy

Puppy

Visit site
Poor little Otto
frown.gif
I hope he is feeling better. Give him some love and hugs from me and Pops. xx

Dizzykizzy

Visit site
Poor poor Otto.
This is exactly the reason we chose to have our litter docked last year.
I spoke to a wise old Cocker breeder and he said since the new laws came in he has had no end of problems with full tails getting infected after injury then resulting in surgery for removal.
Much kinder to do it when they are so tiny they hardly notice.
Hope Otto can get sorted very soon.

Scranny_Ann

Visit site
not sure if u remember
confused.gif
but i posted a while ago re my spaniel and his un-docked tail ... he's constantly ripping it to shreds
frown.gif
frown.gif
i have spoken to the vets and they have basically told me once i have been in for treatment for it on several occasions they will dock
shocked.gif
!! In the meantime i have heard uddercream smothered on the tail can help .... i'm going to try it.

(((Hugs))) to Otto
laugh.gif
xx

kirstyhen

Poor Pup!! Otto is much better tonight, I have Hibiscrubbed it and slathered it in Sudocrem (which he hates the taste of
grin.gif
) and we are walking him in a different place, so not as dense cover.

It is still bugging him though
mad.gif

Bloomin' vets eh??
mad.gif
Obviously they don't want to GA at the drop of a hat, but Otto has been very distressed by his tail hurting him, and his hasn't been that bad really!
Plus, if you get a anti-docking vet, they are even more reluctant to do it.

Scranny_Ann

Visit site
there are only 2 vets where i'm registered that will do it apparently ... the rest won't touch!!!

aww im glad he's better ... i do LOVE otto he's so cool
cool.gif
tongue.gif
xx

kirstyhen

It is definately about finding the right vet. My mum knows a vet who will do it, and has perfected the art of doing it neatly, but she is in Sussex
crazy.gif

I am so pleased with my lovely dog! He is becoming the best dog ever
grin.gif
He was such a nightmare when we first had him, but now it is a joy to take him for walks
grin.gif
grin.gif

Tonight he didn't go on his lead once, walked over to the car, waited whilst I got his water bowl, had a drink then got in the car!! Before he would have disappeared as soon as he got out the car, and wouldn't have looked back
mad.gif
Now he looks for us all the time and comes back by himself as soon as he gets a bit too far ahead
grin.gif
grin.gif

He is currently curled up at my side sleeping
grin.gif

Sorry, I get a bit carried away!
grin.gif
grin.gif
It's just that I wanted a Springer after a dog my family had when I was growing up, he was an amazing dog, and Otto is doing him proud
grin.gif
grin.gif

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
otto is awesome!!!!

poor baby, its a pain when spaniels start splitting their tails etc as it can be a never ending saga!

If you find a treatment that works then thats obv better than another GA for him! (less risks etc) but if nothing works, maybe for his sanity etc amp/docking it is the way forward! But obv its your choice being your dog! (who is still awesome with or without a tail!)

Im glad he is getting better behaved! beau is way better on walks now! Ok in the house we have hit teenager stage and started chewing (mainly my text books!!!!!) but other than that he is turning out into a lovely young man!

we'll have to compete on who has the better behaved pup!! (although pretty sure on here spaniel votes will win over collies! hehe)

give him a cuddle for me