My poor Ralph

pocket

Visit site
We lost our best mate at Christmas, my pony Flyer. He and Ralph were joined at the hip, more so on Ralphs part as Flyer was a typical Welsh cob and liked his own company.

It has taken Ralph months to get over his loss and approx 3 months ago a horse from my old yard came to our new yard. After a few weeks, Ralph rekindered the friendship and has been happy grooming, playing and getting back to his old self along with another horse from our old yard.

Unfortunately, horses can live in harmony not knowing what is going on behind the scenes. Both the owners fell out with almost everyone on the yard and lost face.

Today they left and poor Ralphs life seems turned upside down today. They put their horses out in the jumping paddock which ajoins the field the herd is in. Ralph has spent most of the day looking at his two pals over the fence and wondering why he wasn't with them. Then when the box came out and the two horses were loaded, Ralph was looking on
frown.gif

I had to bring him in and take him for a hack around the woods to cheer him up. He knew what was going on, that I'm sure and had the same sadness about him that he had when Fly died. I just hope that it does not stress him out too much again as one of the horses was in Flys old stable which is next to Ralph and again its empty.

Any suggestions?

rach1984horse

Visit site
My old pony took it quite badly when her pair bond passed away.

Is there another pony that's quite quiet that could move in next to him? Or could he move stables to be beside someone new? A bit of company might help take his mind off it.

pocket

Visit site
He's a funny old thing, he's a rescue and it has taken me 5 years to get him used to going into a stable! He panics if the head room is too low, spooks then bangs his head
crazy.gif
So moving him is not a not an option.

I'm sure it wont be long before a new horse fills that space again, just feels weird to see it empty again and has brought back lots of emotions for me to.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
When my Barnaby passed away, my other horse Benji who had been his best friend for 7 years took a long time to get over his loss, he lost weight and just looked absolutely lost. Over the next few months he gradually began to return to his usual cheeky self... I think you just need to give Ralph time, its horrible to watch them like it though isn't it?? Hope he starts to feel a little better soon and finds himself a new friend and partner.

pocket

Visit site
Good news
smile.gif
Ralph was fine today and seems his perky self, my friend has moved her horse into the empty stable and he was quiet happy milling around the field talking to everyone, so I think it was mum who had more of a problem than him
wink.gif

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Oh im really pleased!!

I know how you feel though, i think we can sometimes read more into it than the horses do. When i lost Barnaby i wasn't myself for ages and im sure the horses picked up on this as well as the fact that there 'bossman' had suddenly gone!!

I think when you lose one, it just upsets the balance so much it affects everything, especially if you lose one suddenly in the way i did. TBH even over a year on i still find it funny not seeing him on the yard... I suppose they affect your life in such a huge way it takes a long time to get over....

Im so pleased he seems happier in himself and I hope Ralph continues to feel content and settled with his new friend.