My shod lame tb who was going to be pts, 1st hack today :)

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Since his shoes came off :)
I'm so happy. He's gone from very lame in shoes and On box rest with bute and x rays to going barefoot to try and give him a chance in life ( I was one who dished barefoot on threads here) and tbh was totally against it as some off you may remember than I'm faced with this lad who was lame and even I could see that shoes were not working but couldn't see how barefoot could work for him but my vet suggested it and said she had seen good results from going barefoot so to give it a go and see how we go. So off I went and spent months and months researching " barefoot" I must say lack off knowledge was the prime factor as to why I was against it and can see that now.
Anyway tonight we went for our first ride, boots in front but bare behind and he moved fab :) before he was dreadful and pottery and tripping a lot but tonight WOW I couldn't ask for more. Didn't feel his back feet on the gravel at all and strided out lovely.

It honestly was a day I didn't think was going to come and he's not had 1 day lame since his shoes come off.

Sometimes people do need to think outside the box and I had to look into/under take a idea I wasn't at all happy with but I'm so happy I did and tbh I owe a lot to this horse he's tought me a lot about feet but I'm also now obcessed. But for good reason as iv seen the results first hand.

One happy owner who snogged her horse tonight

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Iv had days were I thought I can't do this anymore, ESP when he breaks his boots :( but hopefully now it's onwards and upwards.
He's quite a sharp horse so tonight was a bit hairy but I was so impressed by his feet I think that kept my mind of his antics.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
So pleased to read this! I remember your angst getting started. Have to say I think your vet is brill too, I wish mine had known/been willing to suggest barefoot to me when my boy's problems started. I might have been a whole lot more open minded about it all if he had!

Really pleased for you, keep going and post some pictures soon :)

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I'm taking lots of pics and love looking back through them.

His back feet are chipping back quite a lot as he's got a lot off flare still but this seems to be breaking off as it needs to.

Thing is if anybody trims him he gos pottery so took the advice via here and have left him alone which seems to be working. I take it the flare on his front feet will break off as well when he don't need it anymore? It can't come off as he's relieing on it at the mo.
Thanks tinypony that's great. :)
how's your lad bc1?

cptrayes

Visit site
Your vet is a gem.

You were very brave, take a pat on the back for your hard work.

You have joined what is now a very big club of those of us with working horses that were due to be put to sleep. Mine is hunting tomorrow for the second time this season, taking a break from winning his show classes and elementary dressage competitions (not with me!)
:D

thatsmygirl

Visit site
It's great cptrayes, my 1st goal was just to get him sound, than 2nd goal was to get him comfy on his feet so he's comfy walking on concrete, 3rd was to hack him in boots which we have meet tonight. To ride him barefoot would just be the iceing on the cake but that's a very long way off if ever. I'm more than happy where I am now

LD&S

Visit site
Congratulations, I'm not part of the barefoot taliban but do get very cross when people are complaining their horses are lame/throwing shoes etc and don't at least look into taking their horse barefoot.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Well done op. I also have a barefoot TB who was going to be PTS because of various lameness problems. We've hacked all summer and are now lightly schooling with a view to doing some prelim dressage over winter. I hope the success continues for you. My girl has gone from strength to strength and I'm sure yours will too. :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well done I hope he goes from strength to strength even if he has to wear boots for ever it Is a result viewed against the alternative.
You are very lucky with your vet I wish mine was open minded do you use your farrier or have you got a trimmer on board ?

Rueysmum

Visit site
That's great news! I've taken my silly old TB out for two short rides now in his boots at the front and bare behind. It's a lovely feeling after thinking they are going to have to be put down.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
OP that is fabulous news! My barefoot TB is now tracking up on the lunge for the first time ever in his easy boot trails in front and barefoot behind. He has numerous problems but never tracked up with shoes on.

Andalucian

Visit site
Congratulations to you, your vet and to many long and happy years ahead with your horse. Its not an easy road, but with a supportive vet on your side, you have much more than many others.

We're all here to support you, so if you hit any issues, do ask for advice.

natalia

Visit site
I would be wary of no trimming, even if you just run a rasp around them every few weeks to help stop chipping, as often chips can be quite large and foot will break up! I have several unshod chaps and I don't normally trim them, just rasp round to stop chips and encourage correct growth shape.

Oberon

Visit site
I doubt the foot would break up through chips forming. At the worst it may be cosmetically displeasing, but for anything catastrophic to happen, it would need to involve the internal structures.......and if the horse had such a poor wall connection for that to happen, the horse would be very lame well before you saw any damage happening.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Oh yes I'm obcessed with feet now and look at everybodys it's so bad, I see the horses feet before I see the rider ;)
I had to get a trimmer for him as my farrier was taking of to much frog/sole and making him very sore so moved to a trimmer but when anybody does anything to his feet he had very big set backs.
Natalia the trimmer will look at him but he's not allowed to touch, I take him for barefoot walks to self trim, the tiniest bit taken of his wall even a slight roll makes him very sore and iv found the best way is to let it chip off. It may not look perfect but he's sound and going well. Once the flare has chipped of and the back off his feet have strengthened up hopefully than I can work on his feet again. Will be trial and error but his good hoof is half way down now so just letting his flare chip off.
2nd ride today and he was fab apart from plunging forward at some sheep but so good that he feels well. He's 9 and won quite a bit of money in racing but I brought him when they decided he had finished his career. He has a soft pallet as well so the poor lad has his problems but it don't matter to me as he's here to stay. Iv known him since a yearling so when I got asked if I would like him I jumped at the chance.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Thanks goldenstar I love him to pieces he's just such a softy who has a heart of gold. He had 2 failed ops on his breathing but for what he's going to do with me he will be just fine. It was either me have him or he was going to the sales. I'm so glade I was offered him before he went to the sales as I would of been gutted.