my whinge for the week!

Lyle

Visit site
Before I start, I'd like to apologise. I feel like a whiner, but I think the heat is finally making me crack :eek:

The weather seems to be the main protagonist to many complaints, so not to break the trend, here's my whine!

Melbourne is about to experience it's third of four days with the temperature reaching well into the 40°C, minimum of 30°.

Firstly, it seems my poor grey beast won't be being worked this week, even though I'm vainly trying to bring him back into work. First competitions have been entered but no training is being undertaken :eek: so fingers crossed there are no embarrassing moments! It's also too hot to do more than a quick leg check when I go up to see him.

Secondly, and without a doubt the most dire, but bushfires are a huge reality. We were on high alert with our fire plan ready to act when a bushfire broke out yesterday 2km from home. Although it looked like it would miss home, my horse was in the direct path :mad: the CFA fair wholloped it, so had it contained within a few hours.

Thirdly, I fairly expired at work today, I have an outdoor, physical job, as well as dealing with the general public. We closed early, and will do so all week, so a loss of income for this week when I really need to save. I had to pour water on my steering wheel so it didn't give me blisters, and it was rather unpleasant peeling my pants off the seat when I got home!

I've consumed far too much yogurt and ice cream than is acceptable, so there goes my New Years healthy eating plan! Aaaaand all the chocolate in the house is now in an impressively liquid state :(

Dry thunder storms forecast for tonight, so fingers crossed no more fires are started. I am genuinely concerned for my horse, despite the property he's on having good sensible owners and a good fire plan. It's just not something I'd want him to have to go through.

Anyway, sorry for the whine. It's 9.30 pm here and still in the 30°C. No sleep tonight!

babymare

Visit site
my daughter was up in perth fire fighting the fire there earlier this week. It must be dreadful for those poor families that have lost everything. the other week she attended one covering 13,000 hectares. So i fully understand your winge. x

TT55

Visit site
Having just moved back from Australia recently, i feel for you! I used to work in Mount Isa and i'm so glad i'm not there any more!

Lyle

Visit site
Thanks for the sympathy! Babymare, the fire fighters are certainly considered heroes among communities. Such a tough job, which they do so well.

I think the weather is getting to me, because it's dredging up memories of 5 years ago, when similar conditions culminated in Black Saturday, where half the state burned. So many friends lost homes, so many people lives :( we came so close too, but the wind changed.

Circe

Visit site
I'll join your whinge if I can?
38 degrees where the horse is, he hasn't done anything for days, as I'm just too blinking hot to do anything. Even walking down to the paddock and back nearly bumped me off.
As I lay on the bed, stating that the heat was killing me, my OH very kindly pointed out that I picked the wrong country to live in. Yup, thanks for that.
At least we don't have the fires at the moment, my heart goes out to anyone affected at the moment.
Kx

Circe

Visit site
Op, i dont know where you are, but i know fires are getting bad at the moment.... I hope you and your animals are safe.
Kx

Lyle

Visit site
Thanks Circe :) luckily not near the Grampians! There was a hot spot 2kms away that the CFA were worried would flair up today. Thankfully the wind was far less than expected. I did load up the truck and take it to work today! Looking forward to the cool change!

Tobiano

Visit site
Goodness - in uk we all whinge about the rain, mud and cold but you definitely have more to deal with - do hope the fires stop and certainly that none come to you again. Hope you get some relief soon x

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
I was moaning that I was fed up of the cold, wet weather and wanted to emigrate to Australia yesterday lol........however now I think I'll pass!

I really feel for you, heat is lovely but extreme heat actually isn't all that pleasant, especially when there is no escaping it and you cannot do anything. I really hope you and your horse remain safe. Go and have a very cold shower. Do you have a swimming pool?

NZJenny

Visit site
Absolutely feeling for you Lyle. I'll take our earthquakes over your fires any day of the week. Whine away.

NZJenny

Visit site
OMG - just catching up on the news. Didn't realise the fires were so close to Melbourne. Hanging too good for the arsonists - they are saying a dozen have been deliberately lit. Who does that.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I'll be more than happy to send our rain your way? It's been pissing it down for weeks and we've flooded...again...

Seriously though I hope it cools down for you soon and the fires miss you and your horse :)

Circe

Visit site
Nzjenny- i find the arsonist thing here really awful... Bush fires happen, they always have, its part of australia and that has to be accepted, but for people to deliberately start fires, i dont understand that mentality. They need to hope the police catch them before people whos lives and homes have been put in danger.

Circe

Visit site
Broke but happy, I'm sorry you are having to deal with flooding, I've seen the rain has been relentless. (If you could send a little bit over it would be nice )
Kx