My yearly Q... harvest mites

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry! I ask every summer and am asking again in the hope that someone different reads it and knows what to do! ???
This morning my horses came in with the dreaded bloody harvest mites on their faces. Same battle every summer since we have lived here (never even heard of them previously)
They vanish as quickly as they start in I think Sept/October time so it’s at least fairly short lived but drives me and them insane in the meantime.
Ive tried various mite treatments but all are geared towards feather mite which is a different thing and seems not to work in this case. I’ve also had them injected but again it’s for feather mites really and didn’t help.
Please please someone have a suggestion/solution for me?

meleeka

Visit site
I’ve only got experience of mites in feathers. I’ve never heard of them on faces. I’ve had good results with a sulphur dip (on legs obviously and I realise you can’t dip faces but could sponge on). It stinks though. I’m presuming you’ve tried Frontline?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve only got experience of mites in feathers. I’ve never heard of them on faces. I’ve had good results with a sulphur dip (on legs obviously and I realise you can’t dip faces but could sponge on). It stinks though. I’m presuming you’ve tried Frontline?
Interesting, last night I lightly sponged some Shapleys MTC into the worst/first effected’s face. I think the active ingredient in that is sulphur and he was less bumpy this morning.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I haven’t tried Switch or Spot on no, I’ll add them to my list!
Frontline I used last summer for a while but didn’t think it helped much more than anything else, however I think maybe I’m expecting too much! I think i want it to be like a lice situation, you treat and it go’s away. I think maybe I need to accept this has to be done every few days ?

meleeka

Visit site
Sulphur smells like rotten eggs so you’ll know if it’s in what you are using. Frustratingly one treatment cleared 3 legs but one has been more persistent. I’ve done the sulphur twice now and pig oil in between.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sulphur smells like rotten eggs so you’ll know if it’s in what you are using. Frustratingly one treatment cleared 3 legs but one has been more persistent. I’ve done the sulphur twice now and pig oil in between.
? I’ve never thought of it that bad! More burning something

SEL

Visit site
Interesting, last night I lightly sponged some Shapleys MTC into the worst/first effected’s face. I think the active ingredient in that is sulphur and he was less bumpy this morning.
Can I ask how you know it's harvest mites? Been religiously treating one of my feathereds for feather mites but with zero response and it flares up every year around now and on long grass. Harvest mites would make sense...