Myler bits

Bri

Visit site
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can give me an opinion/advice on mylers? My 4yo is currently ridden in a NS training bit which he goes very nicely in. However have had real problems with it causing the skin to break at the corners of his mouth. The vet has said it looks like he will be prone to this happening in most bits and has suggested a myler to stop the sores.

Not sure what it is that will make them different to other bits in this respect? Can anyone enlighten me? And also suggest a good starting point for which type of bits to consider?

Thanks in advance :D

flyingfeet

Visit site
If the splits are caused by the loose ring, then a myler might fix it as most of them are fixed. However if its just the skin being pulled and splitting, I doubt a myler will make a difference unless its a myler combo to put some of the pressure to the nose (not dressage legal!)

Otherwise you could consider something to toughen up the skin (allum crystals have been suggested on here), or go down the route to minimise mouth impact, like combo bits, kineton nosebands or nasenschutz, however not if dressage is your bag.

Bri

Visit site
I think it is down to the skin being pulled and splitting - but may try him in a fixed ring to see if it makes any difference.

I'm hoping to do dressage with him at some point in the future so think I will have to look into toughening up his mouth rather than looking at combo bits etc. Think the kineton may be a bit too much for him, what is the nasenschutz though? Have tried googling it but unfortunately my german isn't up to scratch enough to work out what it is.

Will look into the allum crystals - thank you!

Bri

Visit site
Ah thanks for that littleme - you guys have saved me forking out for a new bit which wont actually make any difference. Clearly I shouldn't take the vets word as gospel!

Cyberchick

Visit site
Well i'm going to be the awkward one and say my horse used to suffer with split mouths as he used to get so gobby and strong and this was just on the flat. When I changed him to the Myler, because he prefered the shape, he was so so much more settled and I haven't had any more problems with splits.
This was a Myler Comfort Snaffle and I also used the Myler Combination Short Shank to jump but then I had to be careful not to rub his nose.
Good old fashioned vasaline as well.

Bruised

Visit site
I found that the little grooves on the inside of the Myler near the bars rub my chap so I've stopped using it. I use a NS starter with a Micklem Bridle. Since then he hasn't had any rubs or cuts at the corners.

NR99

Visit site
I think it is a bit more complicated than Mylers don't work :)

The key with any bit is to find one that a) suits the shape of the horses mouth and b) suits the style of the rider. Every horse is different, jaw width, shape, flesh tongue or not etc and every rider has a different style. Some use more hands than others but are not necessarily unkind with their hands. Mylers worked really well for my ID/TB and not so well for our Irish Sports Horse, though one rider on her found it better than another :)

I think the key is to try more than one, you will sometimes be surprised as one you felt gave you a really good feel might seem inferior when tried against another. They are expensive to buy so have you thought about trying a bit bank so you can loan one. Or failing that lots of second hand ones on Ebay? :D

Bri

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. Definitely going to be a case of trial and error then! I tried him in various different bits at the beginning of year and he is definitely happiest in the NS. The only problem is the rubbing - which I guess could have happened with any of the others if I'd been using it as long as the NS.

He has quite a soft mouth, and is rarely gobby or pulls so I don't think that is whats causing it.

Nickirhia - thanks think I may look into a bit bank then I can try all sorts and see what makes a difference. I think it's just difficult as corners of his mouth are weak and would need to be completely healed to stop any bit having the same effect?

Not sure if I'm imagining this - but I'm sure someone once told me about someone who will come out and look at horse and try lots of different bits and recommend them?

NR99

Visit site
Not sure if I'm imagining this - but I'm sure someone once told me about someone who will come out and look at horse and try lots of different bits and recommend them?

There is someone called Hillary Vernon, never used her myself and sure there are others but she was featured in the Clayton/Lucinda Fredericks thing on Horse and Country TV which I think is still running? :D

flyingfeet

Visit site
what is the nasenschutz though? Have tried googling it but unfortunately my german isn't up to scratch enough to work out what it is.

Natty little device made by Horse&More who were acquired by Sprenger - it hooks into the flap for a flash strap and gives you a second rein to ride off the nose. Underused in my opinion, and the showjumpers have moved onto a second pure curb rein rather than nose rein now!

http://www.divoza.co.uk/product932.aspx

And better pics on http://www.reitsportpfer.de/produc...tProdID=18596927&hinweis=&page=&komtab=&ipnr=

sonjafoers

Visit site
I'm not 100% sure but I think Hilary Vernon is Myler 'accredited' or something which means she is likely to either try a Myler or her own make for you. I don't think she is fully 'independent' as such but I maybe completely wrong. Try searching on here and you may find some more info. If there is someone out there who would come out & really assess your horses mouth and try from a full variety of makes/styles etc they would be worth their weight in gold :)

oldvic

Visit site
Yes, Hilary Vernon is Myler. The NS should be the best for a horse that gets sore as the salox promotes salivation which helps with sore mouths. Is your bit wide enough? Maybe try an eggbutt ring. Why not ring Heather at NS. Vaseline helps to prevent sore mouths and manuka honey is good for healing them. For me a myler is quite thin and sharp for a young horse.

Saratoga

Visit site
I personally dislike Myler bits, have never had a horse go well in any of them. I'd personally try an eggbutt version of the NS and see how it affected the splits.

kerryflower

Visit site
My horse is the same and has a very sensitive mouth. I use a NS loose ring which he works really well in and isn't fussy but till rubs in corners of mouth. I think he is just uber sensitive. So I was recommended on HH forum to try Iglu Gel. U but it from pharmacy/chemist. It is great. It is a squirty gel tube thing which u rub onto the affected area. It's designed for ulcers and sores. It forms a sort of second skin and has antiseptic as well so speeds up healing. I have found it very good. Just a tip when u use it though. Squirt what u want out onto the tupe as if lip gloss. U don't need much. And then rub across affected area. It's easiert o have it out ready rather thab squirt when in position if that makes nay sense whatsoever! lol

Bri

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies - I think I will give the Myler's a miss based on what people have said. Think I will try the NS eggbutt - hopefully that will resolve the problem - otherwise looks like I'll have to carry on with the vaseline and look into the crystals.

Thanks again everyone.

Sonjafoers - that would be fantastic wouldn't it. Maybe someone on here should give it a go! I'm sure you'd have people queuing to use your services!