Myler combination bits

Bedlam

Visit site
it's been suggested that our horse may go well XC in a Myler long shank correctional port combination bit. He's currently in a Nelson Waterford Gag and is an enthusiastic chap XC, especially jumping uphill when he can take a hold and power onwards - it takes my daughter a few strides to get him back listening. He also has a tendency to see long strides (he's not a big chap, but is very big striding) and finds it easier to push on through combinations and take strides out rather than collect and shorten. This is obviously not pretty to watch and I worry that he may be a bit gung ho for his own good sometimes. I have to say that I honestly think that once he's on a course he'll settle more into a rhythm and be OK - we've only schooled so far, and I'm not sure he appreciates the stopping and starting. We've got 3 more schooling sessions booked before we venture out competing, so have time to play with what suits him.

What do people think of the Myler suggestion? I've always thought that the combination Mylers are quite severe. but maybe that's what he needs to get him respecting the bit and listening? Any other ideas? He's an experienced chap with a few 2* and loads of Intermediates under his belt with previous owner (XC in a waterford or gag), and we're schooling Novice and planning to compete BE100 for a few outings before going Novice. He knows and loves his job, but perhaps too well - perhaps he's just a bit too cocky and sure of himself?