Myler comfort bits?

Jesstickle

Visit site
Can anyone offer opinions or give me an idea of the principles behind them?

I get KK bits and NS bits as these are relatively straight forward but Myler talk about independent side movement and collapsing sides etc and I'm a bit lost really!

unbalanced

Visit site
I have a couple of myler bits and they are about the only thing my mare will put up with. She has a very sensitive tongue and unlike a 'normal' bit even a French link or a lozenge snaffle, a myler gives the tongue a lot of space and the particular ones I have chosen for her have next to no tongue pressure.
Independent side movement means that when you pick up the right rein, it only activates the right side of the bit in your horse's mouth, and the left side stays completely still. I have found that with my lozenge snaffle the other side would move to a small degree.

Hope that helps.

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Completely agree with unbalanced. My cob was in a Sam marsh Pelham when I got him- big scar on his tongue where it was twitched- previous owner thought it worked as it lay flat over the scar. Finn hated it- and would often run thru it. My new instructor suggested a myler lever 3 with high port. Gives lots of tongue relief, but still gives some pressure on the poll and the option to add a curb if you feel necessary. He seems really happy in it. They can also help to encourage a nice outline :)

DH1

Visit site
I invested in a Myler comfort hanging cheek for my Mare, I was a bit dubious as they are quite expensive but it's been well worth it as she seems to go really well in it.
Unbalanced post describes them really well, I would add that they don't pinch and sort of wrap around so there is no nutcracker action.
My mare likes to drop her shoulder and the independent action of the bit means that I can lift one rein to tell her to pick it up, and only that side of the bit moves.

Janette

Visit site
The mullen mouth version has ISM - which is brilliant, because usually, a mullen is a little bit 'insensitive' ( - using one rein activates both side of the bit.) whereas this principle 'refines' the aids. (Especially in a horse which HATES jointed bits!)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Thanks all :)

My mind is quite curious and whilst I was pottering on the horse bit shop I realised I didn't really know about Mylers.

Are they dressage legal, I assume they are.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Some are dressage legal and some aren't, so be careful.

They are brilliant bits, my horses suit them well as they have small, sensitive mouths. ;)

You will need a size down, so if your horse normally takes a 5 inch jointed bit, get a 4 3/4 inch myler. :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
I want a hanging cheek comfort snaffle, if anything, so would pressume that would be dressage legal but will double check if I decide to buy one.

F, I love that you suggest a 5 inch bit as an example. Have you seen the size of BH's head?! He's definitely a 5 1/2 if not more!! Bit lump!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
F, I love that you suggest a 5 inch bit as an example. Have you seen the size of BH's head?! He's definitely a 5 1/2 if not more!! Bit lump!

That's for the biggest of my ponios too! Grey filly has a 4 1/2 inch bit. :D

I think that the hanging cheek/baucher is legal as long as it doesn't have a port. :) If a 5 1/2 inch is a bit small for him normally, that size should be perfect for him in Myler bits. :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
That's for the biggest of my ponios too! Grey filly has a 4 1/2 inch bit. :D

I think that the hanging cheek/baucher is legal as long as it doesn't have a port. :) If a 5 1/2 inch is a bit small for him normally, that size should be perfect for him in Myler bits. :)

Rub it in that my horse is a hideous big lump why don't you?! :mad: :D

Your lot are much, much daintier than BH!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I have one for my mare and she is very happy with it. She did not like the lozenge bit I tried when I first got her but fine with the comfort snaffle.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Rub it in that my horse is a hideous big lump why don't you?! :mad: :D

Your lot are much, much daintier than BH!

He's not hideous and at least he's not useless like ummm... all of my lot. :( ;)

The funniest thing was when a lady bought her 17.2hh brick shithouse hunter over, it was like Gulliver and the Lilliputions (sp?). :D