Myler hackamore...confused?

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Silly question alert! I have bought a myler hackamore but I'm confused where to attach the cheek pieces to? Can't find any pictures of it on an actual bridle. Do I attach them to the ring that sticks out sideways at the top or flat to the face? Don't think I'm explaining this very well, help!

03d829a18c5026bcac3b81d13f7ac195_zpskmr1njjw.jpg

b9d5f5e257d0a09ca9b376674a4a2cdf_zpsfzze7xuf.jpg

TTK

Visit site
I know what you mean about confusing. Nice hackamore BTW. AS FfW says and use the inner top slots for the cheek pieces as WT says so the metal is not against the face. You may need shorter cheek pieces than usual. Make sure your curb chain is well adjusted - 2 small fingers between it and the chin. if you have it too long, the whole thing doesn't signal to the horse properly. The chain at the bottom of the shanks in your 2nd picture is to steady the shanks and make them act as a whole.

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Threaded through the top slots as they are in your second photo of it at that angle.

Flat to the face or the metal would be pressed into the horse's cheeks.

So, just to make sure we are on the same wave length - through the top slots on the main ring that would lie flat against the face. Not on the part that sticks out of the top slots?

I know what you mean about confusing. Nice hackamore BTW. AS FfW says and use the inner top slots for the cheek pieces as WT says so the metal is not against the face. You may need shorter cheek pieces than usual. Make sure your curb chain is well adjusted - 2 small fingers between it and the chin. if you have it too long, the whole thing doesn't signal to the horse properly. The chain at the bottom of the shanks in your 2nd picture is to steady the shanks and make them act as a whole.

Thank you, I think it's nice, it is very flexible and appears to be quite 'kind'. I have taken off the curb chain as I will be replacing it with a leather one as my boy doesn't need the extra control of a chain.

TTK

Visit site
Point taken about extra control of a chain but a curb with 'shanks' (as in this hackamore) uses the curb chain to indicate leverage on the poll rather than causing pain under the chin. So, the nose piece signals to the horse as does the pull on the poll via the reins on the shanks which move the curb chain into the chin groove which stops the nose action and transfers it to the poll.

So what I am saying is that you can use a very mild hand action due to the twin action of the nose piece and the poll pressure and the curb chain will not hurt your horse because you can have nice gentle light hands with this sort of rig. I like it very much. You may have to go easy with your horse at first until he / she understands poll pressure and nose pressure. They can react against it at first as it is very different from a direct bit action. Good luck.

ashlingm

Visit site
I would have thought the cheekpieces would go through the sticky out bits? On a normal myler the cheekpieces go through on the outside...if that makes sense. So it does indeed end up with being metal lying on the horses face. It's never caused an issue with mine and it's the way I was shown and advised. And looking at that hackamore there is a nice smooth surface that would be against the hoses face so it wont squish it (if fitted properly!)

Otherwise whats the point in having them on the hackamore in the first place? They are there for a reason :)

ashlingm

Visit site
This shows what I mean. The cheekpiece is fed through the outside part of the loop so that metal does come in contact with the face. This is for the bit version but judging by your picture above I assume that your hackamore is the same?

mylerfeatures.jpg