'Mystery' heat from hoof and pastern

ShowJumper0

New User
Visit site
Hi,
I'm looking for advice regarding my horse who had a very hot pastern and hoof after exercise last week.

After going for a hack two Fridays ago (22nd Feb) my horse's left fetlock filled ever so slightly and his upper hoof, coronet band and pastern became very hot, however he wasn't (and still isn't) lame. It swelled exponentially on Saturday morning, but the swelling wasn't noticeable by the evening, however it took a good few days for it to cool down.

I have a feeling that this could be related to a previous 'mystery' lameness that he had 5 months ago: we had a road accident where 3 motorcyclists drove at us and my horse reared and slammed his front legs off the tarmac, causing his left fetlock to swell considerably and his whole lower leg to heat up. He was lame after the accident so we immediately called the vet. They didn't know exactly what was wrong with him so they prescribed Bute and rest. He was sound again within a month (and the swelling and heat had dissipated too) but I gave him a further two months off just to be sure. I brought him back into work at end of December and I've slowly been increasing his fitness since.

When his lower leg became hot after our hack on Friday the vet thought it might be a very shallow abscess close to the coronet band and that I should tub it and poultice it daily, however, it's been a week and no abscess has ruptured through or above his coronet band and he isn't lame. I will be calling the vet to see if they can have another look at him and maybe run some tests/scans, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or if anyone might know what's wrong? Could it just be as simple as a repetitive strain injury that just needs time to heal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you