Mystery knee swelling - ideas?

MissSBird

Visit site
Hey guys - Have also put this in veterinary. I'm posting on behalf of a friend.

This poor mare is in a very difficult situation at the moment. I can't disclose full details at the moment. Things are underway to try and help her situation, but as things stand she is stuck with owners who are unwilling to get a vet to see her.

She's not in this country, and the charities local to where she is are not interested in her case.

My friend is trying to do what she can, and is looking for ideas as to what could be causing this swelling on her knee.

The knee has always been slightly puffier than the other, but now has a huge swelling which is described as 'hard, it feels like bone'. There is no heat and it doesn't seem tender.

She was intermittantly lame when being walked inhand - this has been put down to snow packing up as she was sound when it flicked out the hoof then lame when it built up. As far as I know she wasn't trotted and a full soundness check wasn't done, so she may well be lame. The person telling me this is also inexperienced at diagnosing lameness, so might have missed something that wasn't immediatly obvious.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Knees.jpg

spike123

Visit site
could the horse be a door kicker? Horses that kick against a solid object repeatedly often end up with a hard swollen knee