Naked or a no fill / 0g rug??

Naked or 0g rug

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Horsekaren

Visit site
scenario -
11 degrees during the day, horse is a little chilly (tiny bit) small wind and no rain
Would you put a LW 0g no fill rug on your horse?

Reason I ask is I have read a lot about how they actually stop a horses coat from doing what it needs to do to keep the horse warm

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Is the horse shivering?

If no, I would leave naked.

IME, no-fills work best when it is a good temp, but it is wet and windy and that combination of the horse being wet and then chilled by the wind that is making the horse shiver.

Essentially I work on the basis of if the horse is cold, either rug, or up to a warmer rug. If the horse is too warm, put a lighter rug on or take the rug off.

So a cold horse is one that is tucked up, shivering or both.

A warm horse will be sweaty or feel hot when you put your arm under the rug. They shouldn't feel 'toasty' that is too warm. They should feel body temperature, so warm, not hot. You don't want them sweating under their rugs.

If a horse is grazing out in the open, despite the fact that it is lashing down and it isn't tucked up or shivering, it's fine, even if you want a coat on! :D

ihatework

Visit site
(Part)Clipped or fine coated working competition horse - rugged, providing not an excessively hot type.
Anything else, not rugged

SEL

Visit site
It does flatten their coats, but one of mine struggles with her muscles so she gets a rainsheet on if its windy and a 50g/100g on overnight if rain is coming in or its <10 degrees.

The other one is growing his winter yak coat and does not need rugging. Putting a rainsheet on him flattens his coat and he is grumpy with it. Left to his own devices his coat fluffs up in cold, windy weather and he's just fine. Last winter he came in with frost on his bottom a number of times and would steam as he'd start on his morning haynet. Anyone who doubts fibre in their belly heats them up should watch him defrost!

If your horse has good grazing, ad lib hay & decent shelter (or combinations of all 3) then at 11 degrees they should be fine unless there is an underlying problem.

scats

Visit site
I don't think no fills do anything for warmth, but I do find them useful for windy and wet conditions when horses get chilly with the combination of weather.

I'd leave naked, horse can puff up a nice protective coat of its own then.

rowan666

Visit site
Naked! I hate rugs and I'm holding off rugging till temperature drops to freezing because the boy can afford to loose abit of weight at the mo and the mare really needs to loose a fair bit and won't be rugged at all unless I decide to do full clip to help shift the weight then she gets a light weight rug but I'd never use a no fill but then again I do have a great field shelter that is very warm and there's access to adlib Haylege inside it

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Totally depends on the horse/pony. None of mine would have a rug on in that scenario at the moment, although any sign of rain, and my little old chap would have a rug on. He has a fairly thick coat, but has always felt the cold if it gets wet/windy. He now has cushings so I am finding that he is less of a good doer. The other three, even the part clipped ones, can afford to shiver off a pound or two. ;) x