naked ponio in this nasty weather

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
Does anyone else have a naked pony out is this horrid weather? He's very very fluffy and seems happy enough munching away has a nice warm shelter if he need it just feeling a bit mean as his mate is all cosy in his rug!

scrunchie

Visit site
I have a naked tbx out in this!!!

I do feel a little guilty but he won't let me put his rug on and he's on the field that's away from the stables.

He has got a thick woolly coat though and plenty of shelter. If he's clever he'll stay out of the rain.

eggs

Visit site
Had a couple out last night unrugged. They were waiting in the barn for breakfast as usual this morning but were all warm enough.

cob&onion

Visit site
My cob is unrugged, but i know her coat is so dense that shes always dry and looking quite chubby still.........

Brandy

Visit site
Its not really that cold here, just wet and windy. I have a naked Welsh cob, a 24 yr old naked exmoor, and a 30 yr old (or should it be 31 now!!??) TB who has a med weight rug on.

They all live out.

indie999

Visit site
Yes he is a cob and has never had a rug(he doesnt like them (rolls them off tried smaller sizes etc)although if i did use it would have been to save time scrapping the mud off not for warmth).

The vet came out to see old boy and admired his lovely coat" Wow what a coat" it sprouts in the winter and you can put your fingers in about an inch. I have provided two large shelters last one cost £3k and he stands outside in all this driving rain, snow etc. Last year he was out un rugged and he is as happy as larry. Another vet thought I had clipped him in the summer last year.

The time of year I have decided he could do with a coat is those damned flies in the summer.... downside when he moults it is a snow storm(creamy) & I end up wearing his coat.

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
I don't feel quite as mean now. Just worry too much. He looks much happier than horses next door all rugged and just looking misreble waiting to come in! Just popped down to see them and both muching on a couple of sweedes right in the middle of the field

pottamus

Visit site
Yep my Welsh D is out naked with his natural fluffies to keep him warm and dry. He has access to his stable in the field all the time but always stands out in the pouring rain instead!

Natz88

Visit site
My fluffly haffie is out naked his coat is so thick. My mums cob has lw on as he is clipped although nearly grown back & my youngster has lw on as he shivers if he gets soaked...

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
I have a warmblood and an appyxknab out withour rugs and we live high up on Exmoor. They were both fine this morning,although pleased to come in for a couple of hours. Neither has a particularly thick coat.
They cope by finding natural shelter and continually eating so their digestive systems are working like a vat of compost,providing on board central heating.

IMO rugs can make horses colder. In order to dry,a wet rug needs heat,so it takes heat from the horse.

Dubsie

Visit site
Yes. These ponies are SO inconsiderate - we spoent a fortune on a lovely well madde field shelter perfectly big enough for the pair of them, situated in a lveoly spot howwever in the torrential stuff they were both stood out bums to the wind without a care in teh world. They do look rather soggy though!

Is sunny and nice now, but very muddy

crabbymare

Visit site
Your pony is probably warmer than his rugged neighbours as he can fluff up his coat and trap warm air to self regulate his temperature which he could not do if he was rugged. We have a mix of tb's and wb's out without rugs and they are all happily ignoring the shelters and standing out in the wind and rain. A breeder I know in europe has about 50 wb's including foals all living out unrugged and they all look healthy and happy when I go over there and I have onlt ever seen them in their shelters in summer :)

Alphamare

Visit site
I can't leave mine unrugged in winter although two would be absolutely fine. There is not much shelter it's very exposed and windy and wet. They get adlib hay but were dropping off end of nov so got rugs. Then clipped so need them now anyway.

indie999

Visit site
I don't feel quite as mean now. Just worry too much. He looks much happier than horses next door all rugged and just looking misreble waiting to come in! Just popped down to see them and both muching on a couple of sweedes right in the middle of the field

Yes its us that think they should be wrapped us just like us! I think the word RUG implies keeping warm so thats what we do wrap em up warm...good marketing. I can understand the keep them a bit clean rug etc or an oldie rug. But unrug is good.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
My three are out naked, they're 19, four and two years old, and up until yesterday they only had grass, now on big bale haylage (it snowed, I felt sorry for them, they got lucky!) The 19 year old cob has a bib clip, and I rode him for the first time in two months last week, and I weighed him too - 14.3hh, and 610Kgs. I don't think he's exactly wasting away, the fat git!