Naming a youngster...where do you begin?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So it looks like I may have purchased a gorgeous chestnut colt, well I will have once he passes the vet check. Trouble is he has no name, neither stable or registered, so where do you begin in picking a name?

My childhood self thinks all her dreams have come true and would have had a list of names a mile long to choose from. Adult me on the other hand has spent the last two weeks referring to him as Carrot and I'm afraid if I keep calling him that for much longer it'll stick once he arrives 😂

AdorableAlice

Visit site
If you can't name him via his sire/dam lineage I would wait until you have had him in the yard and got to know him. Once you have his character a stable name will the easy. I bought a foal by Embla George whose registered name was Embla Buccaneer, I absolutely refused to have his stable name as Buck just in case he lived up to his name as a mature horse !

He started off being called 'Foalie' or the George colt. George stuck in the end. Your foal should have a passport if even if he is classed as 'unnamed' on it. His microchip and markings will be on it.

daffy44

Visit site
Different stud books have different specifications eg KWPN start with a specific letter per year, a lot of german studbooks require the foal to start with the same initial as the initial of the stallions name etc. So find if there are specific requirements for the official name according to the studbook the foal is registered with, the stable name, just go wild!

be positive

Visit site
Here's his breeding if it helps at all...

View attachment 26516

I think it needs to start with a D or Des, then looked to see if there was a rose, from mum, beginning with either and came up with Danse du Feu or Dance of Fire, either could work with his colour, he has a lovely expression in the photo, hope the vet check goes ok.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I think it needs to start with a D or Des, then looked to see if there was a rose, from mum, beginning with either and came up with Danse du Feu or Dance of Fire, either could work with his colour, he has a lovely expression in the photo, hope the vet check goes ok.

Love those names and actually works well with OH's stable name suggestion of Dante 😁

AdorableAlice

Visit site
What a nicely bred and very attractive foal. Good luck and much success with him. Give him a nice name for the future when it appears on the big board at the nationals !

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Google suggests that meanings of "Destacado" include "outstanding" and "interest". The dam's name translates as simply "rose-red", which ties in with a German fairy tale. Based on that, I'm going to suggest "Outstanding Legend" as a possible name.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Non-serious suggestions:

Alabastor Moody. Mad-eye for short.
Rubinstein's Monster.

In reality I would just keep calling him Carrot. Mine is often called Captain Carrot, and she has proper names of her own.

#ReasonsWhyIDon'tGetToNamePonies

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
What a nicely bred and very attractive foal. Good luck and much success with him. Give him a nice name for the future when it appears on the big board at the nationals !

Thanks so much! After last time I'm scared to dream too big but I'm secretly hoping he'll be the one I get to GP with.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
If you like Carrot, grab yourself an online seed catalogue and go for a variety of carrot......edited to add that I found a variety called Burpees Short and Sweet....probably not the image you are looking for....

I'm seriously poop at picking names so my brain just went he's bright orange...like a carrot and that was that, but deep down I'd like to give him a "proper" name I guess.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Non-serious suggestions:

Alabastor Moody. Mad-eye for short.
Rubinstein's Monster.

In reality I would just keep calling him Carrot. Mine is often called Captain Carrot, and she has proper names of her own.

#ReasonsWhyIDon'tGetToNamePonies

🤣🤣🤣 Love the first two, although I feel in reality he'll end up as Captain Carrot!

only_me

Visit site
“Come on Eric” would be a fab name for a GP horse 😂

“Hint of Carrot”

“Pumpkin spice”

“Designer carrot” :p