Napping, any tips?

matt_m

Visit site
I have just started loaning a 7 y/o Welsh Sec D Gelding. He has very good ground manners, and WHEN he is working well, he is a very good, responsive ride. He is forward going and not at all ploddy. Anyway, there is one thing I'm having real issues with, napping. If he doesn't want to go a certain way or decides it is time to go home, then you have a real battle on your hands! He is improving around the farm gradually, BUT there is one way he just will NOT go - in the direction of the school! I don't know if maybe he has past bad experiences of 'that' place.

Anyway, it's obviously vital that I get him down there and soon, but I've tried everything. He will go so far then if you kick him on he will start dancing on the spot, do little 'rear threats' which gradually get a little bigger each time you try and persevere, I've tried standing him still and making him wait until he is bored to death then pushing him on but nothing, I've tried getting him to go around in circles then in the direction I want but he is having none of it!

The other day after this going on for such a long time I got a bit fed up and decided to jump off and try leading him in that direction and then thought I'd jump back on at the school. Well...got so far and suddenly out of the blue he swung round pulling my arm out of the socket almost, had to let go and he cantered back up the drive and off back to the barn.

:mad: Any tips would be GRATEFULLY received !:)

applecart14

Visit site
First of all don't get off. You are indicating to the horse that a) you are scared of it and b) that you are letting it make the decisions and that c) everytime it plays up you will jump off it and it will get a little break from having to do what you want it to do.

I would never get of my horse unless I was in serious trouble, i.e. the horse was badly injured, or I felt that if he continued his behaviour there was a serious threat of injury to him or myself like going over backwards or slipping on the road.

If the horse will not go forwards turn him around to his bum is facing the direction you want to go and force him to walk backwards. Then turn him and ask him to walk on using your seat and pushing your hands forward. You may have to repeat this process many times but it DOES WORK. Make sure when you are asking him to go backwards that you are not pulling on the reins too hard, and equally make sure when you ask him to go forward you are not pulling on the reins by mistake out of anxiety on your part, as this will encourage him to rear. Any forwards movement should be praised, even if it is so irritating to you that you should have to do this is the first place. Believe me I have been in this situation a lot of times with my horse and have got to the stage where I will never get off or turn around. My horse is extremely frustrating 50% of the time on the road and it really does make me angry but I am careful never to let him think he has the upper hand.

Last edited:

olliethecob

Visit site
Hi

I know exactly how you feel. I bought a lovely mare 3 years ago and she spent the first two weeks working out the rides we went on then the next 6 months not moving off the farm. We would rear, spin and bolt back to the stable. I asked the help of a friend and after over six months of trying my friend decided to buy her as she was too much for me. Napping is horrible and it made me more nervous and bit by bit i was losing my confidence. My only advice is be very strong and don't let them think they have won at all.

Good Luck.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I aggree with the comment above try to hack with a friend he needs to enjoy work for a while.
The school thing is bad I hate it when they don't want to go I the school I have had a lot though my hand with this issue firstly you have I get him in the school some how I usually do this every day after hacking they follow a friend into the school no work is done I let them walk on a loose rien fuss them perhaps feed a treat . I do this every day until they are happy then I will start trotting a few circles no pressure no trianing gradually you have to work towards what you want.
I also lead them into the school most days ( bridle lunge line and help will be in needed as he pulled away from you.) then I just fuss them and the worst cases I feed in the school.
However if he's stroppy nor scared you can overdo this approach however only start a stand up fight if you got the guts to win .
I once sat six hours on a nappy horse who would not go out of the yard I won in the end you have to learn to read a nappy horse get into why he's napping scared defensive dominant you have to tease out the why to find the way forward.
Good Luck with him.

matt_m

Visit site
Thank you all for your advice it really helped!

A bit of an update! Today, despite lots of napping and him not wanting to go, I decided to be strong and not take no for an answer. I know he is doing it to be awkward I think! I got him to the school on his own, got him past the school to the bottom field where we had a bit of a canter/gallop around and some fun, then another loaner came up on her mare and we decided to go out for a hack. Oh but this meant going back up the lane PAST the barn and his field where his field mates are that he can see through the hedge! Lots of hesitation but got him through eventually, once fully away and up the lane a bit he was fine, we had a nice long hack and I even managed to get him out to lead for quite a bit of the way!

Very good progress I think and now think I have clicked and know how to handle his little tantrums better!

Thanks again.

npage123

Visit site
I'm glad you're making good progress!

I can empathise with you as my horse would usually try to nap when hacking alone. I agree with the other replies that you got - I can maybe just add:

With my horse, he would always spin around to the right side when he tries to nap, and never to the left side. So I now know to have a firm contact on the left rein at all times, to help prevent the spinning/escaping to the right.

Also, if possible, trot like you really mean it BEFORE the point when he usually start his napping/rearing. Trot on as if there's a fire behind you and you've got to get away. I don't think it's possible for a horse to rear up when he's moving forwards, so be determined and TROT ON!

Good luck to you! I hate it when it happens as it probably is a temper tantrum on the horse's part and the opposite of showing respect to their rider :-(