Napping at jumps

EJ87

Visit site
Hi everyone hope your all taking advantage of the good weather we are all having. Well I decided it was now time to ride in the field for the first time this year. Iv been working my mare all week as she is in season and very very grumpy and forward. So off we went last night to the field I lunged her for about 20 mins first just to calm her (10 mins each rein) and she seemed to be settleing. Mounted and walked her around changing direction doing circles etc and then the same in trot and canter although just stuck to 20m circles in canter as I think she could have found her gallop gear if I gave her the full field (she is a very strong mare!) Well anyway everything was going well apart from being forward was going good so decided to try a few jumps. One jump was set up in the middle of the field just one straight pole on two poly wings at about 60cm jumped perfectly all be it fast on the right rein 3 times then changed direction and tried the exactly same jump from the left but just keep running out and mini rearing (bouning) so let her see it walked her into it but she wouldnt move forward just keep backing away and bouncing tried again and again in trot even growled at her which normally works so put the pole down still no avail so put the pole on the gound and tried to walk ger over it, no avail, tried to lunge her over it, no avail eventually got her to lead over it by my OH sanding at the side and craking a lunge whip when she started to back off. Got on her and ride her over the poles from both directions and left it at that as my patience had ran out and didnt want to spend anymore time with her winning and was being ate alive by miggies!! did I do the right thing by perservering even though she didnt jump the jump but atleast went over the pole? I didnt want her to win as I knew she would do it everytime I went to jump again as she knows thats how she gets away with not doing it. Is this behaviour just worse at the min as shes full of the spring grass and on season (snorting and squelling at anything and running and bucking round her paddock like a bull). she is normally very good and wouldnt intentionally do anything to hurt me.

annunziata

Visit site
Ohh you definately did the right thing. Do you think maybe her back may need checking as she is in season and acting out of character??? Sometimes their seasons can really effect their backs

StormyGale

Visit site
You know what horses are funny creatures, i think you did the right thing getting her 'over' the pole whether shes 3 feet off the ground or 3 inches she did what you wanted (eventually!), sometimes horses do have off days you - its annoying! believe me (retrain ex racehorses - its one step forward 90 back some days!!!! :rolleyes:

what you have to say to yourself is - if you had spent another hour out there trying to get her over the pole - jumping wise would she have done it?? - probably not in the mood she was in - also if she is usually a calm girl and shes in season maybe she was hot, irratated and having an off day mixture of all three and you've got the devil in carnate and one very flustered owner ! you did the right thing - there is no wrong or right when you know the horse and you know when to push and when to let it go thats what matters and sounds to me like you pushed just enough to get the stubborn out but not too much so its a punishment for next time.

try to focus on the little things that you got right when you have a rubbish day - like - the fact that she went really well for you on the right rein over it and stayed controlled even though she obviusly wasn't feeling herself. Next time if she looks miserable and not really up for it maybe just stick to lunging and or a hack something not so taxing if you know shes not in the mood - i don't believe in letting horses get away or determine what you do - but unless its imperative that you train her or jump her that day - maybe the next time shes have a 'mare' moment just let her do something easier and leave the more intense stuff for a day she's feeling a little more co- operative - well done for persevering though its a win no matter how little!!! :p