Napping Horses

Ecila

www.freewebs.com
He He, i don't think i spelt that right for a start!!

My 4 year old naps out on hacks (not the sleepy kind!!) She refuses to move and spins and rears! She is the most balanced 4 year old i know! Just if there is something in the bush! Does this get better with practice or is there something else i can do?

She normally does it if there is something scary and she doesnt knwo where she is she tries to run home, i norally get off and walk her past it but spent 10 mins today riding her past a piece of ribbon!! So I do try not to give in! Any tips or is it just practice? She is fine in company, in front or behind if that helps!!

Parkranger

Visit site
Sounds to me like she's just a nervous baby!

If she's fine with other horses perhaps get her used to hacking out with others (I'm guessing you haven't been riding her too long?) and take it slowly. If it's a fear thing then how about leading her out on a walk on foot? That way you'll be by her side and I'm guessing alot less nervous.......I'm sure other people will have lots of ideas! x

Ecila

www.freewebs.com
I hack her lots, when she was first broken i didnt have a school so all i could do was hack, and she was fab on her own. She is a star with others and on the ground (i spent months walking her out!) and with me riding, someone else on the floor, someone on a horse, same routes eveything, just on her own! I think shes just being difficult!

Parkranger

Visit site
So she wasn't doing it on her own before? That's a bit odd. I'm sure someone else on here had that problem....can't think who it was but they cured it!

Ecila

www.freewebs.com
Was before i moved her, i used to have a her as a companion pony for my old horse when i broke her. Then i moved her to a yard when i sold him and she was ok there, never used to rear though just stop. But since i have moved her to the yard she is at now (where i work) she has really settled in a stable (which she had never had before) and with the other horses (she lays flat out in her field and is always asleep in her stable!) so its not that she doesnt like it! She is a lovely pony just hacking on her own!

Parkranger

Visit site
I do think it's an age thing. Have you been at the new yard long? If you haven't then I'd give her more time out with others.

Ecila

www.freewebs.com
Iv been there nearly 6 months! longer than she has ever been kept any where else in her life bless her!!

I know she is only young but i was wondering if practice is the best thing or if this is likly to make her worse!

Parkranger

Visit site
If you can ride through it then do it - do you think that you're maybe a bit nervous and making her feel more nervy on her own. I know that I can sometimes do it without even knowing it!

frannieuk

Visit site
I had a youngster who did this - was fine and then became REALLY nappy. It used to take me an hour to go a mile and half cos of her napping (she is a bossy mare though!) and I just used to wait her out. I would generally stay on board and give her the option of choosing to go past whatever she was jibbing out. I'd stop her from turning, or going back and just wait til she decided to go forwards. If I tried to push her forwards she'd resist more but that is her whole character!!
Good luck x

talkinghorse

www.talkinghorse.co.uk
It is just a question of establishing her confidence in you - in all situations. You have obviously done really well to get her so far.

I usually take a lead rope and lead past the 'scary' object, then lead back again and get on, if my horse still naps, I repeat the process. It sounds time consuming, but it does work. It lets the horse see you as a leader, respect your decision that the object isn't scary and trust you from on its back next time.

My horse has got so used to this, that he now usually moves forward after his initial stop. I also make a kissing sound, which he is used to from my long reining him. He is 18 and used to hack out fine with his mum, since she died he has to go it alone, or be the 'lead horse' with our new one.

Doing groundwork exercises at home also helps make the horse see you as leader. I use them all the time.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Could you get a friend to accompany you on foot ???? She will still be on her own but your friend would be there to give an encouraging tug on the reins/lead if necessary ?? She's just a baby and is probably testing her boundaries with you.

Ecila

www.freewebs.com
shes fine with someone on foot, she does look for them for confidence though! If she REALLY needs a lead i will get off her, also she follows cars, bikes, people anything that may go past!!