Napping & rushing home when hacking?

violethillx

Visit site
I'd really appreciate some help with my loan pony! She's a Connemara, 14 so not green or anything - I've only had her for a few months so she's still getting to trust me I think.
Basically, whenever I've tried to hack her out she naps on the way out (spinning in circles, planting feet). I took her out in-hand the other day and have been trying to do lots of groundwork to bond. When I took her out in hand, she was reluctant and kept napping & spinning again but we got through it with a firm hand and lots of praise for going forward (and a very sore right arm..) after about half way she was going really well and even walking without me holding into the reins so I decided to get on. She stood still for me to mount and started off at a nice walk, which progressed to a jog as she knew she was going home. She then got into a proper trot and I tried to keep a deep seat and half halted but to no effect. I eventually got her to slow down to a halt so I could get off again and she half reared, so I jumped off and led her back home, where she again tried to jog.
I'm thinking il take her out in hand again around the same routes then ride her when she's confident enough, but rearing is one thing I totally can't deal with and I get so tensed up.
Any advice on how to stop either napping or the running home? I'm so frustrated with how it is at the moment :( she's not a nasty pony at all but I don't think she's scared either, just testing how far she can go as we're new to eachother. She's perfect in every way in the school and to be led anywhere and really willing to please - its just hacking out that's the problem.
Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance xx

be positive

Visit site
Firstly is she supposed to be happy hacking on her own, contact her owners and ask them how often she went out alone with them, it may be a long standing issue that has never been resolved.
Have you got any one that you can ride with to help build up her confidence several fun hacks with another horse could really help, if not a friend that could walk out with you may help.
Otherwise you need to build up the ground work so that she trusts and respects you and go for short walks, maybe after working in the school, each day or as often as you can, gradually going further.
Getting some help, a few lessons would also be a good idea or the owners may come and advise.

millitiger

Visit site
Sounds like she is unconfident to me.

Can you find someone to hack with?

I would be long reining her rather than leading in hand as you will be able to drive her forwards- is there someone who can start you off long reining?

Once she is happy in company and on the long reins and you want to start hacking alone, if she still rushes home you can either turn her around and hack away from home again or carry on home, go straight past and start your circular route again.
This way you are avoiding a real confrontation/hanging onto her mouth so she rears, but you are still making it clear that rushing home doesn't get let her get her own way.

violethillx

Visit site
Thanks for your help! I have arranged to go out in company at the weekend and have been doing more groundwork with her. Apparently she used to be really naughty hacking out with her owner and reared all the time, but she got better after they cracked eggs on her head. I'm going to find out how else they got her to hack out happily and keep taking her out in company and myself when I can. Still so frustrated though but it's probably just a matter of time! Thank you for your advice xx