Napping

Pmf27

Visit site
Me and loan horse have been working through napping behaviour for the last few months. She used to nap a lot in the school during lessons, but this has improved massively in the last month or so.

I'd attempted one disastrous solo hack in the early days, where I could not get her to move forward and decided to abandon the expedition for fear of my own safety as she had really started to fret.

The other day, I tried again, this time with someone on foot. She was so much better and we actually managed to leave the yard (hooray). We got about half way through our hack when she started to nap in the road, luckily it wasn't a busy road but obviously was still a road so there was a little bit of anxiety from me. She'd literally just circle for home and would resist turning the other direction, but I was always able to overpower her and move her forward, she'd then turn again and try going back the direction we had came - this happened about four times in one spot.

Each time, I was firm with reins and leg to turn her back the direction I wanted to go and would then trot her on for a few paces so that she knew napping = extra work.

Ultimately, we got to where I wanted to go and the rest of the hack continued without incident. I'm just curious as to what you lot make of how I handled the situation? It felt as though I'd done the right thing, but if there's something I really ought to have done that I didn't, then I'd love to know for next time!

JumpTheMoon1

Visit site
Was this a known problem when you took on this loan horse ? or has it developed since you loaned it ?
You seemed to have handled it correctly but its all unwanted behaviour.The road could have been busy and all might not have turned out well.
If it persists hand the horse back.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Pick a short circular route even if its 15 or 20 minutes long it's fine, walk the horse in hand on that same route everyday for about a week, the following week try getting on half way round then attempt to do the whole route mounted, if successful pick another circular route and repeat the process and keep this method.

It was the only thing that worked with my nappy horse I have about 5 routes now I can do on my own, he still sometimes stops but I can normally get him moving again fairly easy, I also wouldn't worry about getting off and leading for a while it's not a fail it's just giving your horse confidence to move forwards.

Pmf27

Visit site
Was this a known problem when you took on this loan horse ? or has it developed since you loaned it ?
You seemed to have handled it correctly but its all unwanted behaviour.The road could have been busy and all might not have turned out well.
If it persists hand the horse back.

She's young and green, so I knew that she wasn't the most confident or experienced horse ever.

Hacking with others, she is absolutely fine. It's just alone we have struggled.

Problem is, I've now really fallen for her and would find it very hard to just hand her back and say goodbye, so would much rather we work through any issues together as long as I feel safe.

Pmf27

Visit site
Pick a short circular route even if its 15 or 20 minutes long it's fine, walk the horse in hand on that same route everyday for about a week, the following week try getting on half way round then attempt to do the whole route mounted, if successful pick another circular route and repeat the process and keep this method.

It was the only thing that worked with my nappy horse I have about 5 routes now I can do on my own, he still sometimes stops but I can normally get him moving again fairly easy, I also wouldn't worry about getting off and leading for a while it's not a fail it's just giving your horse confidence to move forwards.

That's a great idea, thank you! I had lead her out in hand a couple of times alone in preparation for another solo hack, but never on the actual route we took the other day.

I'll give it a go, doing some more leading in hand of the routes we want to take.

Any advice on safely leading in hand? I feel a lot more uneasy leading a horse on the ground than being in the saddle, so would likely feel a bit nervous taking her too far from the yard in hand but would love to be armed with some tips on making this safer and more enjoyable.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Mine struggled with solo hacking at first and still has the potential to nap if he were to get overwhelmed, so when we're solo I stick to certain routes. In hand he's much more confident and will follow me anywhere. Something about me being on the ground I think? I don't know. It's not that I'm nervous when I'm on him but maybe he feels more responsible for our safety then. So she might be ok in hand. Depends on the horse.

For my horse it's just been getting out there and doing it. Slowly expanding his radius and having a nice relaxed time. I ride bitless sometimes so on those occasions I might let him graze or forage around a bit and that relaxes him too.

He gained some confidence when we were hacking with a friend and her horse took off and she couldn't stop the horse and mine was left behind and his worst nightmare was coming true, but he survived and listened to me, and we made it back just fine. I think that day he realized something, but it is not an approach I recommend ?

Mainly it just took time. He's grown up a bit, has more training, and has more experience now.

The other thing about solo hacking that I don't understand is why people are so hell bent on the matter. I guess I get it if you have absolutely no one else to hack with, and it can be a valuable part of a horses education, but if it causes so much stress and/or danger, and the horse is otherwise quite a good ride, then I don't push the matter and hack with others or handwalk if the horse prefers it.

scats

Visit site
All my horses must learn to hack alone, it’s absolutely key to me to be able to go out solo.
Millie’s napping comes out of nowhere and can even occur on the way back so it’s less about going away from home and more about finding something worrying and having a meltdown. Her response to any leg in these situations is to stand up. She doesn’t care if she’s on a road, in the middle of traffic… her regard for anything goes out the window. I have a few tricks in my toolkit, depending on the situation. There’s the wait it out and wiggle in the saddle to get her moving or, if she’s in the middle of a road, I jump off and lead her to safety and hop back on.
She can be absolutely fine for 9 hacks and then throw a wobbler in on the 10th. She will go past road works and skips, then have a meltdown about a man in his garden. There’s no working her out so I just accept her ridiculousness.
She’ll do all the farm routes fine and I have 2 road hacks she’ll do with only occasional lunacy. I can box her and take her somewhere and she’s either bold as brass or a complete wet wipe.

Pmf27

Visit site
Mine struggled with solo hacking at first and still has the potential to nap if he were to get overwhelmed, so when we're solo I stick to certain routes. In hand he's much more confident and will follow me anywhere. Something about me being on the ground I think? I don't know. It's not that I'm nervous when I'm on him but maybe he feels more responsible for our safety then. So she might be ok in hand. Depends on the horse.

For my horse it's just been getting out there and doing it. Slowly expanding his radius and having a nice relaxed time. I ride bitless sometimes so on those occasions I might let him graze or forage around a bit and that relaxes him too.

He gained some confidence when we were hacking with a friend and her horse took off and she couldn't stop the horse and mine was left behind and his worst nightmare was coming true, but he survived and listened to me, and we made it back just fine. I think that day he realized something, but it is not an approach I recommend ?

Mainly it just took time. He's grown up a bit, has more training, and has more experience now.

The other thing about solo hacking that I don't understand is why people are so hell bent on the matter. I guess I get it if you have absolutely no one else to hack with, and it can be a valuable part of a horses education, but if it causes so much stress and/or danger, and the horse is otherwise quite a good ride, then I don't push the matter and hack with others or handwalk if the horse prefers it.

I am thinking it might be the same here, one of those things that will just take time. Luckily, I'm happy to work at it little by little.

Unfortunately, I don't very often get a chance to hack out with others, so 9 times out of 10 it's pootle around the school or don't ride at all - hence my keenness to get out there solo.

I'm really happy with our last attempt for the most part though, the naps were easy enough to overcome and weren't so bad that I felt I had to throw in the towel like last time, so I guess I'll count the positives and keep moving forward!

Pmf27

Visit site
All my horses must learn to hack alone, it’s absolutely key to me to be able to go out solo.
Millie’s napping comes out of nowhere and can even occur on the way back so it’s less about going away from home and more about finding something worrying and having a meltdown. Her response to any leg in these situations is to stand up. She doesn’t care if she’s on a road, in the middle of traffic… her regard for anything goes out the window. I have a few tricks in my toolkit, depending on the situation. There’s the wait it out and wiggle in the saddle to get her moving or, if she’s in the middle of a road, I jump off and lead her to safety and hop back on.
She can be absolutely fine for 9 hacks and then throw a wobbler in on the 10th. She will go past road works and skips, then have a meltdown about a man in his garden. There’s no working her out so I just accept her ridiculousness.
She’ll do all the farm routes fine and I have 2 road hacks she’ll do with only occasional lunacy. I can box her and take her somewhere and she’s either bold as brass or a complete wet wipe.

The last bit did make me chuckle! ?

I don't really know this one well enough yet to work out if her naps will be overcome or if it'll be a situation similar to yours, I'm hoping it's the former.

She was very nappy in the school for the first few months riding and we have managed to overcome that for the most part, so I'm remaining hopeful that the solo-hack-naps will also be something that we can work around. Fingers crossed!

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I think you handled it well! But what I would do and did do is…
My boy used to nap and rear and moonwalk, pirouette, reverse into fences etc, so I kept him in work every day, initially only 10 /15 minute hacks, tell him hes a good boy half way round and give him a sweetie! Then he got to wanting to be a good boy cause he knew ‘oh this is the sweetie stop’ so then I just gradually put another 10 mins on , always praising and talking to him all the way round. Now sometimes he just stops cause he wants a sweetie ? many may think its a bad idea, I dont , It takes his mind off the oncoming fully loaded log lorry or the bicycle etc. keeps his chops busy and when hes past i tell him hes a good boy, he whips his head round for a sweetie and on we go. ♥️

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Scats! Sounds like my boy, we had a big few bucks as we left the yard today ? he can be a tool one hack in 10 ? but I still love him ♥️

Pmf27

Visit site
I think you handled it well! But what I would do and did do is…
My boy used to nap and rear and moonwalk, pirouette, reverse into fences etc, so I kept him in work every day, initially only 10 /15 minute hacks, tell him hes a good boy half way round and give him a sweetie! Then he got to wanting to be a good boy cause he knew ‘oh this is the sweetie stop’ so then I just gradually put another 10 mins on , always praising and talking to him all the way round. Now sometimes he just stops cause he wants a sweetie ? many may think its a bad idea, I dont , It takes his mind off the oncoming fully loaded log lorry or the bicycle etc. keeps his chops busy and when hes past i tell him hes a good boy, he whips his head round for a sweetie and on we go. ♥️

Ah I love this! A sweetie stop, how wonderful. I might try to incorporate this into our hacks.

I'd much rather she stop and ask for a little snack, than plant and then refuse to move forward. Thank you for this idea!

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Ah I love this! A sweetie stop, how wonderful. I might try to incorporate this into our hacks.

I'd much rather she stop and ask for a little snack, than plant and then refuse to move forward. Thank you for this idea!
No worries, it works for me, sometime i cut carrots, sometimes i take mints but he loves it ?

ponynutz

Visit site
You've handled it well - it can be difficult at the start but just a case of them trusting your judgement and knowing if you say, 'Go', they go.

You've got the really difficult bit over with now, glad you didn't let her choose when you turned around, she'll be better next time around. Agree find a small, circular route and then slowly expand it.

Mine was the same when I taught her to hack alone and now we can go anywhere. Occasionally she'll stop as if to say, 'Mum, I'm nervous, is it okay?' but will then go when I reassure and give a nudge to go. It does get easier :)

Peglo

Visit site
No more advice to add to what’s above but just wanted to let you know my cousins pony was a horror when we got her. She would rear and spin and had no regard for us. Once she gained trust in my cousin she was an amazing hack. Strode out lovely the whole hack and actually ended up hating hacking in company. She’s much better solo. And never naps anymore. Just thought I’d add a success story.

Pmf27

Visit site
You've handled it well - it can be difficult at the start but just a case of them trusting your judgement and knowing if you say, 'Go', they go.

You've got the really difficult bit over with now, glad you didn't let her choose when you turned around, she'll be better next time around. Agree find a small, circular route and then slowly expand it.

Mine was the same when I taught her to hack alone and now we can go anywhere. Occasionally she'll stop as if to say, 'Mum, I'm nervous, is it okay?' but will then go when I reassure and give a nudge to go. It does get easier :)

Ah brill, thank you! That's really reassuring to hear, I'll look forward to working through it and building her confidence then ☺️

Pmf27

Visit site
No more advice to add to what’s above but just wanted to let you know my cousins pony was a horror when we got her. She would rear and spin and had no regard for us. Once she gained trust in my cousin she was an amazing hack. Strode out lovely the whole hack and actually ended up hating hacking in company. She’s much better solo. And never naps anymore. Just thought I’d add a success story.

Wonderful, thank you. It's lovely to hear the successes of others, it reassures me no end!

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Wonderful, thank you. It's lovely to hear the successes of others, it reassures me no end!
But remember not to panic… it is hard to try and express your confidence if there is a particular incident or an area coming up she always naps, sing if it helps, it also keeps you calm ..i am a crap singer and bb loves 10 green bottles ???

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have done ground work in the past to make sure they have manners on the ground I teach them to walk and halt on command and they know how to back up, I also teach my horses voice commands they lunge and long rein from my voice, it's also helpful when riding they do listen really well whoa is my slow down word ?.

asmp

Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned as haven’t read all the replies but just wanted to say our youngster started napping when his saddle no longer fitted. Replaced the saddle and he stopped doing it (so it could be discomfort).

Skib

sites.google.com
I share a mare who is known to nap. not just with me but with other riders. My previous share also napped and I would usually wait her out. The current one is more of a problem. She does as I say in ground work and when led and inside the stable box, - all done and dusted- but not in the saddle. My mistake has been to turn her and back her up in the direction of home. I will now only half turn her so the back up goes in the direction I want.
She does have logic in her napping. She naps when the weather is very hot or (last time) at the point where we emerge from the shade onto the sunny meadows. She is tellng me she is too hot, but I am hot too as I wear a body protector and the YM would I know just make her get on with it. I have looked out my schooling whip, arranged to ride earlier in the day and am determined to be fierce if she naps again.

Landcruiser

Visit site
My first horse used to nap, often in the same spots. I used to just hop off and lead him, then hop back on again further on. No drama. (Learned quickly that fights were not the way to go with him). After a while he just stopped bothering to nap, because it didn't get him anywhere. I think quiet persistence is a better option than force, at least it was in his case. New youngster is a napper as well - she's only 3, but arrived with a backwards attitude and a tendency to dig in. Work in progress bit she's much improved now. I'm hoping that by the time she's backed she'll be more compliant - it's "don't want to" rather than "scared to" in her case, for sure. She is very similar to first horse, in lost of ways!

Widgeon

Visit site
But remember not to panic… it is hard to try and express your confidence if there is a particular incident or an area coming up she always naps, sing if it helps, it also keeps you calm ..i am a crap singer and bb loves 10 green bottles ???

I rode 1.5km (alone) to meet friends yesterday singing "Doh Ray Mi" the whole time on repeat - it's such a good "walking out" speed. I only stopped to greet dog walkers and it kept us marching forwards beautifully! However by the time we got to the meetup point I was starting to wonder what other songs might do the trick....I am not sure that Ten Green Bottles trumps Doh Ray Mi for interest value though. Anyone else got any suggestions? ?

Last edited:

Petmurf

Visit site
My cob is the same when hacking solo, I tried a few months back and we had the hack from hell where he scared me so much, I’ve left it for a while and tried again last week and we managed 2 short hacks with a few spins but nothing I couldn’t cope with so we’ll continue doing that in bite sizes but I will remember the sweetie stop as that will work wonders on him. We don’t have a small circular route so I’ve been going a route that we don’t go very often. Out with others he’s a dream ?