Napping

Visit site
My 5 year old is getting about 100 yards down the road and stopping and running back wards then planting herself and not moving forward for anything. She can be nervous but there’s nothing obvious that’s worrying her I think she’s just napping but I can’t ever get her to walk forward. Any ideas?

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
Does she do it in hand as well?

If she doesn't do it in hand too I'd look at saddle fit and getting a vet check to eliminate pain/discomfort as a cause.
Then once that has been ruled out get an instructor/trainer to accompany you on the ground.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Need a little more information really. Does she hack out ok in company/is this just alone? Have you ever hacked successfully or is this a new behaviour? How long have you had her?

Visit site
Need a little more information really. Does she hack out ok in company/is this just alone? Have you ever hacked successfully or is this a new behaviour? How long have you had her?
Only had her about 4 months, this is alone, previously she has done it alone several times, she’s just started doing it the last two days, just had a saddle fitted so can’t be that

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Only had her about 4 months, this is alone, previously she has done it alone several times, she’s just started doing it the last two days, just had a saddle fitted so can’t be that
If the napping started after the saddle was fitted, it certainly can be that! Horses don't always agree with saddle-fitters. It's always best to listen to the horse.

scats

Visit site
Can you enlist a foot soldier to help establish a circular route that you can get her used to?

I have a lot of success with nappers (it’s my horsey superpower), but it’s difficult to offer advice without seeing ‘how’ the horse naps. You learn to read nappy body language and then you learn which ways will best help that horse.

Does she just plant or does she reverse/spin/threaten to rear?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I'd say if she wasn't napping and has started to since the saddle fit i'd gets a second opinion on that.
Other than that, it's early days. I'd start by hacking with another confident horse, then someone on foot. Start small with a little loop if possible and build up to hacking alone and further distances.

Skib

sites.google.com
there’s nothing obvious that’s worrying her
Horses are herd animals. Leaving the herd, home and food on her own will upset a horse. One has to teach a horse to hack solo. Ride out with a companion hirse and rider and teach your horse to go both first and second. Go out with a foot soldier and then eventually leave the other person behind.

Visit site
Can you enlist a foot soldier to help establish a circular route that you can get her used to?

I have a lot of success with nappers (it’s my horsey superpower), but it’s difficult to offer advice without seeing ‘how’ the horse naps. You learn to read nappy body language and then you learn which ways will best help that horse.

Does she just plant or does she reverse/spin/threaten to rear?
I had a friend come and help me yesterday to lead/walk with her but she still wouldn’t go. She stops then runs backwards then just plants herself and won’t move forward, anything I do doesn’t seem to work ☹️

Barton Bounty

Just simply loving life with Orbi 🥰
Visit site
Your relationship is still new, I would say she doesn’t fully trust you yet. It took 6 months for my last horse to fully trust me. I know exactly how that feels as this happened with my last horse. We reinforced with food and slowly. Just added a little distance onto the ride and eventually with positive reinforcement we were hacking 10 mins then 20 then 30 and then it wasn't a worry at all. If all he did was stop and look for a little treat to move off again, then I am happy to give one.
Dont get frustrated or disheartened by it, its just perseverance that will get you through it. You will get there but some do take longer than others.
Does she feel tense under you when she starts napping?

Visit site
Your relationship is still new, I would say she doesn’t fully trust you yet. It took 6 months for my last horse to fully trust me. I know exactly how that feels as this happened with my last horse. We reinforced with food and slowly. Just added a little distance onto the ride and eventually with positive reinforcement we were hacking 10 mins then 20 then 30 and then it wasn't a worry at all. If all he did was stop and look for a little treat to move off again, then I am happy to give one.
Dont get frustrated or disheartened by it, its just perseverance that will get you through it. You will get there but some do take longer than others.
Does she feel tense under you when she starts napping?
Thank you, that’s really good to hear as I feel very disheartened by it all! She does to start with then she just stands there with no care in the world! When you say with food do you means treats or taking food with you to get them to move on?

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Thank you, that’s really good to hear as I feel very disheartened by it all! She does to start with then she just stands there with no care in the world! When you say with food do you means treats or taking food with you to get them to move on?
Yeah , pocketful of treats, i used to chop up carrots, and off we would go, initially I used to cry because I was worried it was something I was doing but honestly, he was just a little nervous at leaving his new home. You will get there. Keep calm and deep breaths even if you have to sit there in one spot for a while, give her a treat and ask her to walk forward, even if she takes 2/3 steps that is a win, super big praise and good girls make a big fuss of her and she will soon get the hang of it

Visit site
Yeah , pocketful of treats, i used to chop up carrots, and off we would go, initially I used to cry because I was worried it was something I was doing but honestly, he was just a little nervous at leaving his new home. You will get there. Keep calm and deep breaths even if you have to sit there in one spot for a while, give her a treat and ask her to walk forward, even if she takes 2/3 steps that is a win, super big praise and good girls make a big fuss of her and she will soon get the hang of it
Yes it’s so difficult as I get frustrated and upset! Thank you for your advice! I’ll have a go at this as she loves a treat!

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Yes it’s so difficult as I get frustrated and upset! Thank you for your advice! I’ll have a go at this as she loves a treat!
Thats the key just take a deep breath and relax 😊 the treats only needed to be used until we were going out for about half an hour, he would maybe get about 6 treats in that time.
Then after he was hacking out fine , I used to just stop him and tell him he was a really good boy make a fuss and give him a treat.
They are really quick to learn 🤗

holeymoley

Visit site
If pain and whatnot is ruled out then you need to find a way to move her feet then reward her. Even if you ask her to turn and she moves to the side that’s a good start. You need to be in control of where she moves. The backward thing drives me nuts. No point chasing her forward as she’ll just run back so try sideways and reward then hopefully she sees it as a positive reaction. Mine used to nap with his shoulders. Used to be trotting around the arena then the next minute he’d decide he’s had enough and would casually pull you out with his shoulder and sometimes at speed! No idea how we managed it but we got there in the end.

Caski

Visit site
Do you know much about her previous riders?

I bought a fab horse and took months getting a partnership (many unauthorised mouthfuls of dirt!). He had been backed and ridden away by a very petite but capable lady and clearly decided that my version of the aids was an insult! We got there and had a great relationship for 15 years in the end, but at first he nearly was sold for 50p!!!