Nappy horse- what else can I do?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
From beginning, I’ve had this mare 6 months. At the beginning she was amazing, I could hack alone etc.

Around two months ago she became very nappy and spooky to the point she scared me. It seemed out of character so then We did some investigating and found grade 2 squamous ulcers and severe glandular ulcers.

She has been on GG and Sucrafate for 3 weeks now, being rescoped this week.
She went to rehabilitation for 3 weeks to be brought back into work without a rider (on vets advice) she was a different horse, calm, happy to be tacked up, affectionate.

I have my horse back- yessss!

Today we load up for a hack.. foot perfect.. then all of a sudden, it happens again, spinning, rearing, trying to nap back to the lorry.

I think we are in a position now where I think it’s an ‘US’ issue not a ‘HER’ issue as I’ve had someone else get on and she didn’t even play up once.

I’m not sure where we go from here and it’s gettihg me down, I just want to go for a nice walk through the forest.

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if she has been in pain for some time, is only 3 weeks into treatment, has been in a different yard being rehabbed but not ridden and today was boxed up, stressful in itself, traveled away from home to be ridden and had a bad day by reverting to her old behaviour.
To my mind you are expecting too much too soon when you already know you have an issue, you do not know her ulcers are gone and you admit it is as much you as it is her.

I think you need to take it back a stage or two, build up slowly to loading up to hack out, you may not be able to hack from the yard or in company, both of which would help, so either work with whatever facilities you do have until you have built up both your confidence as well as hers or move to a yard where you do not have limited options, maybe the rehab yard could help you get to the next step.
Hopefully once the ulcers are gone and her trust and confidence improve she will happily load up and go for a hack but at this stage it was probably too much to expect.

stormox

Visit site
We cant always do what we want with our horses straight away. She needs to learn it is safe to hack alone. First of all hack out with a forward going horse, going in front and behind. Increase the time and distance you are in front gradually.
First lone hack go on a route she is familuar with, preferably a nice short route with no "dangers" to frighten her. Work up from there.
Personally I very much doubt the ulcers made her nap, it would be more likely to do with insecurity.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I think I just assumed the ulcers caused the nappiness as when I first had her we could hack alone on the buckle.

If I get off, which I do because I’m not prepared to fight her and I walk the opposite way she’s napping to- she willl follow me like a dog.

Yet if I get on to ride her that way, she naps.

She wasn’t spooky or unhappy, she was forward and ears pricked.
Maybe I just rushed it, I just assumed a nice amble through the forest would be nicer than going into the menage.

be positive

Visit site
I think I just assumed the ulcers caused the nappiness as when I first had her we could hack alone on the buckle.

If I get off, which I do because I’m not prepared to fight her and I walk the opposite way she’s napping to- she willl follow me like a dog.

Maybe I just rushed it, I just assumed a nice amble through the forest would be nicer than going into the menage.

ulcers are not always the primary issue, has she been given a full workup to see if there is anything else going on, although I still think pottering around a school building back her confidence in you, and yours in her may be a better option at this stage.

stormox

Visit site

I think that definately sounds like confidence. Hacking 'on the buckle' wont give a horse confidence and may cause her to lose it. You may be making her feel like she has to be in charge because you aren't showing her you are by riding on a consistent contact. The fact she follows you is another thing that shows she isn't confident- she needs a leader. Some horses in the middle of a 'nap' will suddenly go forward if a car comes past, or even a person, bike or dog.
You need to show her you are her leader, she can have confidence in you. Dont pootle about on the buckle, ride with your legs close to her sides ready to give an aid if necessary, carry a stick to back up the leg aid, ride forward on a consistant equal contact, teach her flexion, bend and do plenty of transitions on your hacks.
You especially need consistency if she is young- I dont think you say how old she is?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
ulcers are not always the primary issue, has she been given a full workup to see if there is anything else going on, although I still think pottering around a school building back her confidence in you, and yours in her may be a better option at this stage.

Only at the rehabilitation clinic but she’s not had a vet work up. I think because unsoundness wasn’t the original issue so they never investigated it. I will mention it at the rescope.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I think that definately sounds like confidence. Hacking 'on the buckle' wont give a horse confidence and may cause her to lose it. You may be making her feel like she has to be in charge because you aren't showing her you are by riding on a consistent contact. The fact she follows you is another thing that shows she isn't confident- she needs a leader. Some horses in the middle of a 'nap' will suddenly go forward if a car comes past, or even a person, bike or dog.
You need to show her you are her leader, she can have confidence in you. Dont pootle about on the buckle, ride with your legs close to her sides ready to give an aid if necessary, carry a stick to back up the leg aid, ride forward on a consistant equal contact, teach her flexion, bend and do plenty of transitions on your hacks.
You especially need consistency if she is young- I dont think you say how old she is?

She’s 11, I do genuinely ride her with a consistent contact and consistent leg when I hack her now- but when she first arrived she was very sloppy and lopped along- I worked on that and now she strides out forward etc.
Today, i hesitated at what path to take and that was all it took, she instantly used that moment to decide she wanted to go back to the lorry.

The more I talk about it, the more it appears to be a confidence issue now people are pointing out certain aspects.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
3 weeks for ulcer treatment is not long my friends horse took 3 months and 2 lots of treatment to be cleared of them, and the horse was not ridden whilst under treatment and was basically living out, so it could a case of them still causing an issue, but under the circumstances having a chat to your vet about a lameness work up or lack of performance work up would really be worthwhile.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I’m going to leave her chill now, she has rescoping on Wednesday and I’m going to mention to the vet about a basic check over and obviously we will see how her ulcers are healing too.
I’m going to chat to him about whether working her (which he wanted) is worth continuing with or waiting.

Meanwhile, if she shows as sound and ulcers are healed I think I will start with school work slowly and start to build up hacking, I just don’t have people to hack with unfortunately.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Been there and got the t-shirt. Ulcers hurt more than the horses tummy - they seriously knock the relationship between you and your horse !
Our problem is/was competing. She would nap wildly in the ring and we retired time and time again. It became a habit, and normal. Ulcers found and treated (and careful ongoing management) but the behaviour/habit was engrained in both of us ! I 'expected' her to misbehave. We know how sensitive and perceptive horses are, and no matter how positively I rode, she still felt that 'oh but she might' in my thoughts, so she did as I expected, and napped. I was heartbroken and thought we couldn't compete anymore.
What I did was ENSURE 100% that her tummy wasn't hurting, and then just kept on going. I turned it around and worked out that she was napping as I hadn't been supporting her. I had been thinking of myself (self preservation). She actually needed me. So if she threatened to nap I sat quiet, gave her her head, patted her and spoke to her. I also wrote off results and prizes for a while, concentrating on just finishing my test. It's taken 2 years, and she does still try, but it's all far more manageable. I also had my trainer compete her once for me too. It's a case of undoing the learned behaviours, supporting your horse and break the cycle. It may take a while - be patient, lower your expectations, and persevere :)

ihatework

Visit site
I don’t have much experience with ulcers, I’ve only ever had one with them so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

My dressage mare was a bit of a ginger hothead, but a generally predicatable and safe hothead, she never worried me even when being a naughty diva.

Whilst with foal at foot hind leg blew up. She was sound but I was mildly concerned. At weaning I had the vet check and we found some healing tendon damage. But horse sound. By that time she had plenty of rest on it so we started basic fittening work.

She didn’t come back the same horse I knew. Very reactive and sharp and for the first time she worried me. 3 months in and it was getting worse.

She scoped grade 4 bleeding ulcers. Great, explained everything, completely fixable and we put it down to weaning stress.

4 weeks on meds and her behaviour was worse than ever, to the point I was very unsure riding her.

Back to vets, scoped completely clear but she had completely broken down on that tendon despite only being the slightest fraction lame (one tough cookie).

I suppose what I’m trying to say is, if you’ve treated the ulcers and the behaviour comes back don’t be too quick to discount a physical problem

kc921

Visit site
I had this similar issue with my gelding.
Out of no-where he just started napping! Running backwards, spinning to go home etc.
I tried SOOO many different things to get him to go forward...
Then I tried treats, started int he sandschool or just along the lane out of the yard, each time he walked forwards when I asked him to I'd give it a few seconds ask him to stop and give him a treat. When he planted or started walking backwards he would get a tap on the shoulder from the whip. He VERY quickly learned which he preferred, swapped out the treats after about 1 week for a pat on the neck and lots of praising.

8 months on he hasn't napped once and no need for the whip anymore, so I don't carry one now :)

Hope that helps! Sometimes the simplest of things work, rather than all the gadgets and reverse psychology etc.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
*UPDATE*

Thankyou to the ones who suggested I get a full work up done, she was sound in a straight line, sound on left when lunging and then low and behold 2/10’s lame when lunging on right- hind!

Booked for X-rays on Monday- so from me and my horse, Thankyou.