Nappy mares !

bubsqueaks

Visit site
So we bought a beautiful 14.1 7 year old Irish Cob Mare in April who has the sweetest of temperaments & is for my 17 year old daughter to do pony club & generally have fun on, & she is a dream to ride & jump.
She has thrown in quite a few moves (no not dressage ones!) over the past few months - jumping out of stable, attempting to jump over breast bar, testing farrier, refusing to load on way home, & following a very interesting lesson last year with a local natural horsemanship lady (different pony!) we already had the halter so have been doing groundwork with her - this has really helped with the return journey home where I groundwork for 10 minutes before loading & I have taught her to self load at home.

BUT we have nappiness when at competitions. This is when she is asked to go into the arena whether its indoors or outdoors, once in she doesnt nap just gets on with the job very nicely. It would seem that its when shes been standing about waiting for her turn to go in, its like she has planted her feet & doesnt want to move them, obviously its also asking her to move away from the other horses which isnt what they want to do but Im now wondering after a comment my physio made about her being really heavy in the foot as though shes planted firmly on the ground possibly because of being unsettled by the move, if the answer is not to let her stand around - tricky I know!

Being a mare its very much "ask a mare, tell a gelding" so if you use a whip to back up your leg or aids my daughter says pony gets scared, so I am popping her on the leadrein telling her to walk on & she follows me in.

Anyway wanted to ask if anybody has any tips or advice from their own experiences - thank you.

TheMule

Visit site
If a horse has that tendancy you need to try not to put it in the situation in the first place- most venues are sympathetic to yoy needing to warm up and go straight in and aleays have someone ready to lead her in just to help

scats

Visit site
For the time being, I’d try to avoid having her standing about waiting her turn. Always try to set them up to succeed. Keep her walking around away from the others and then when it’s her turn, walk her straight into the arena so she’s had no opportunity to hang around with her new mates. It may be for a while that she needs a bit of a helping hand and someone on the ground to walk with her, but try not to turn it into a big battle. Make it something that she just has to do and eventually you’ll be able to drop the ground help.
I took on a pony once who’s previous rider used to regularly stand in amongst a group of mates on their ponies to have a fag. As a result, if the pony saw a group of horses standing, he’d go and join them and then point blank refuse to leave them.
I had to stop him ever standing amongst groups of horses to break the behaviour. It worked, but it took a good long while!

sport horse

Visit site
I have yet to understand the 'lets work in and then stand in a queue and wait to go in the arena' mentality. The idea of working in is to get the muscles warmed up before asking for great effort (ie work.) You do not see athletes standing at the start of a race they jig jog about and keep moving. Perhaps your pony knows what is best for her metabolism better than your daughter does!!!!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I have yet to understand the 'lets work in and then stand in a queue and wait to go in the arena' mentality. The idea of working in is to get the muscles warmed up before asking for great effort (ie work.) You do not see athletes standing at the start of a race they jig jog about and keep moving. Perhaps your pony knows what is best for her metabolism better than your daughter does!!!!

Fair point Sport Horse & yes something I am conscious of not doing however sometimes it comes down to lack of venue space with too many horses but she naps going into warm up arena so was looking for some helpful advice from peoples experience.

sport horse

Visit site
Be as patient as you can with her. Lead her if necessary and try to make sure she has a clear route through to the arena. If necessary ask people to move. In fact a decent collecting ring steward should actively discourage people from standing in the arena entrance. as it encourages any horse - mare/gelding/stallion - to be nappy. I produce a lot of young horses and if I have a tricky one I often try to get in first or last in the class for the very reason that it is quieter but I have no hesitation asking people standing around to move to let a young/difficult horse have a fair chance of getting in without a major war!
Good luck, I am sure with consistent, calm handling and sensible preparations you will find things improve.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Be as patient as you can with her. Lead her if necessary and try to make sure she has a clear route through to the arena. If necessary ask people to move. In fact a decent collecting ring steward should actively discourage people from standing in the arena entrance. as it encourages any horse - mare/gelding/stallion - to be nappy. I produce a lot of young horses and if I have a tricky one I often try to get in first or last in the class for the very reason that it is quieter but I have no hesitation asking people standing around to move to let a young/difficult horse have a fair chance of getting in without a major war!
Good luck, I am sure with consistent, calm handling and sensible preparations you will find things improve.

Thank you I guess its early days so will keep plugging away with the patience & consistency.