Narrow high withers

mitchellk

Visit site
What saddles would you reccomend, currently in an 18" narrow Jeffries falcon but any day im just going to slip off the side, its like riding on a sheet of ice!
Horse is a BIG moving 3/4 bred with a huge stride and is being blocked through the shoulder by the jeffries (and rubbed behing the saddle)
Ideally 17-17 1/2 inch cut away, dressage/show or straight cut gp- any ideas folks please, cheaper the better!!!!
thankies

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
my narrow high withered tb has the thowogood high wither Tb, nothing else we tried fitted him, not too keen on synthetic but it made such a difference to him that it was worth it, cheaper too
grin.gif

air78

www.ctwequine.com
I had my TB, with very high narrow withers and a big moving shoulder, in a passier jumping saddle for the past 8 months. It was the only thing that went anywhere near fitting him! IMO jeffries, and alot of the other 'traditional' makes are just not designed for high withers.
I would recomend the passier....maybe you could find a dressage version on ebay? Or if you are looking for a jumper, PM me!
blush.gif

I've just got a WOW which is a brill fit on him, otherwise the Ideal Jessica was my second choice as it has a very 'curved' tree.
I wouldn't recomend the Bates, purely because on my boy they felt very restrictive around the shoulder.
If you have the money to spend on a new saddle, why don't you have a WOW fitting? They are really through, and i'm sure you would be amazed at how good a fit they can get.
smile.gif

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Forgot to say..... if you are being rubbed behind, i thought that usually ment that the saddle is moving behind, usually in rising trot. The way to stop tje movement is to go down a width fitting, or use a prolite riser type pad to help 'wedge' the saddle in position.
A saddler told me that who i had a Lovatt & Ricketts off on trial, which moved every time i rose in the saddle!

Peasfriend

Visit site
I have a Kieffer for my dinosaur withered TB - cut back head and fairly straight cut GP but enough support that I can jump in it too...

lozxox

Visit site
black country saddles are great mine was £500 pounds they are very good and are cut away from the shoulder and if the right size is found they are not likley to rub behind. hope this helps.

Sparklet

Visit site
Please dont go for a narrow saddle to get wither clearance - all that happens is the saddle pinches each side of the withers creating pressure points. A wider fit saddle with a prolite/sheepskin pad is a much better bet.

A lot of trees are not designed for the TB wither so the shape of them is never going to fit - Jefferies, Albion and Ideal come pretty close but you will probably going to have to try quite a lot of them to get a fit...also you will need to get an experienced saddle fitter to make sure because too many will push you in the direction of a narrow fit to the detriment of your horse.

Scarlett

Visit site
gfs do a Tb style saddle, its got cut back head and dropped panels to allow for the withers but is still wide through the shoulder area.... very nice but quite new so not many about!

I have a high narrow withered but wide across the shoulders tb - tried everything to get a saddle, eventually got given a TFE (Top Flyte Equipment) saddle that fits perfectly, already seeing a difference in how he moves.

mitchellk

Visit site
Sparklet -He is already in a narrow (with a saddle pad and prolite pad), anything wider drops onto his spine, which is not what I require from any saddle. I would only consider something with a cut away head anyway. Think I have found a saddle now, but thanks for the ideas!- will let you know how we get on.

Sparklet

Visit site
A dropped template lowers the panels on the saddle so the support is further down that way you get the wither clearance on a wider fit saddle. Anyway glad you are sorted.