Nationals or not?

alainax

Visit site
First may I apologise that this sounds ungrateful! I am new to this, looking for some advice. Somehow, by a wing and a prayer my gorgeous gelding and I have qualified for the dressage nationals.

I got him 3 years ago , very green,beautiful unspoilt Friesian. We had one year of getting to grips with the basics, one year off as I had a baby, then one year back (still basics imo!)

We did a couple of competitions just for experience, then to my great surprise qualified for the Regionals. He did amazing in the regionals and I have my 5th place rosette hung with great pride.

Today we got an email to say that when have qualified for the nationals !

I am so very proud of him, and all that we have accomplished, but I don't think the travel is fair for him.

It would be a 9 hour minimum lorry drive. He would be a good boy and do as I tell him but right now I don't feel he owes that, if that makes any sense! He has been a very good boy, owes me nothing, and we are happy to potter on. But burning at the back I feel I have a feeling like if we don't go, we will be missing out.

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If he's a good traveller it should be no different to standing in a stable for him. Yes it's a long journey and will take some planning but if you want to go I would go. My horses are all completely happy to stand on the trailer munching hay. It's part of their lives and they don't own watches so wouldn't know if it was 9mins or 9 hours ;)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Well done for qualifying. If you feel he is not quite ready I would not take him this yea but aim to get him there next year. Travel wise it is a long way, you would need to have two lorry drivers if you did it in one day.

Our horse was scoring regular 70% but at the regionals and the nationals he was down around 8% putting him way down the line. I fully appreciate that being there is an achievement but the cost for entries and stables, plus the fuel and time was huge. We would not do it again, preferring to use the same amount of money and time to have much more fun and more days out with the horses.

LeannePip

Visit site
That is brilliant Alainax!

Whether you decide to go or not, it is a huge achievement just to Qualify, but i understand your reservations about the distance.

If it were me i'd go, make a little holiday of it and enjoy it for the experience, however its only about a 2.5-3hour trip for us. I've been before as a groom and the atmosphere was electric and it was great to watch some of the top riders, often on their younger horses. We were there for the music classes which were great to watch, we stabled at Hartpury and stayed in a premier inn down the road.

ihatework

Visit site
I'm a bit confused about what nationals you have qualified for?
The dressage nationals have just been and gone and you can't qualify for the next ones (winter nationals) until early next year.

Are we talking some sort of trailblazers or one of the breed society nationals?

miss_c

Visit site
I believe this is the My Quest finals? (I saw your post on another group)

I always think that you may never qualify again, but at the same time costs do have to be taken into account as it does all mount up. I think I'm going to be there grooming. :)

Britestar

Visit site
Go go go, you never know what is around the corner, to get to the Nationals can be a once in a life time achievement for some, go and have fun :)

This^^^. Last year my neighbour qualified for the Riding Club Champs with a lovely little Section C. Living in North Scotland it was a 12 hr journey (made even longer as her car broke down), but she questioned going for one dressage test.

She did go, came 6th, and this year she lost him to Grass Sickness. At least she has a wonderful memory of that trip with him.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
This^^^. Last year my neighbour qualified for the Riding Club Champs with a lovely little Section C. Living in North Scotland it was a 12 hr journey (made even longer as her car broke down), but she questioned going for one dressage test.

She did go, came 6th, and this year she lost him to Grass Sickness. At least she has a wonderful memory of that trip with him.

yup agree. You never know what's around the corner... I say, if you can make it happen, then do it :)

ossy

Visit site
It is a tough one it is a decent travel distance and if i had qualified out right I think I would be more inclined to go. My friend went last year, we're about 3.5 hrs away and she enjoyed it very much, but did say it ended up being very expensive, also she said the caliber of combinations would not be out of place at the actual nationals, the top 5 at least in her class scored well into the 70's. That said you do never know what's round the corner so if you can make it and want the experience why not.

alainax

Visit site
Thank you very much for all the replies, I really appreciate the feedback. Yes that's right it's the quest finals, sorry my op was a bit all over the place!

leflynn

Visit site
If you can then GO! You might not get the chance again and you might do yourself even prouder, plus it will be a great experience :D

I went to the ROR nationals a couple of weekends ago (only intro/prelim) and decided if I qualified I would go no matter if I didn't quite feel ready as it would be great experience and you just never know :D I'm Northumberland so it was quite a longish drive for us (esp in a trailer), but I do not regret going, spending a fortune and having a ball and collecting my rosettes :D

Aspire

Visit site
My mantra is, plaque, pic and prosecco regardless. If you've qualified, go. Horses are such fragile things. Enjoy your moment. You may surprise yourself. Either way it will be a memorable experience.